SF-60 Flash?

jto555

Called Leica store in Vegas and was given the number to the Leica NJ location to see if my R9 is compatible.  Since the R9 has HSS and TTL I except that it should. 

"In combination with an HSS (High Speed Synchronization) compatible flash unit (e.g. Metz 54MZ-3 w/ SCA 3502 adapter), it allows flash exposures with shutter speeds as high as 1/8000's"

But we'll see.  I've also emailed them to ask the same question with more info.

I would be surprised if the SF-60 is R9 compatible.  Film TTL is very different from digital TTL.

You might be right, though I'm still waiting for a response.  I received a message from the technical advisor Leica NJ earlier today, and he said he sent an inquiry to Leica Germany to find out.  As soon as I hear back; I'll post it on this forum. 

On the Leica website; it states the SF-60 is "designed especially for the models of the S, SL, and M series. It is also fully compatible with the Leica Q and CL."  Though it doesn't specifically specify M digital or M film...it just says M. 

The M6 and M7 from what I've read can do HSS, but only with the SF-58 flash, and that also goes for the R9.  That information was made available before the release of the SF-60. 

What don't I know about the differences between film TTL vs digital TTL?

Also, does anyone know if the SF58 HSS mode can work with any of the Leica digital cameras? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also, does anyone know if the SF58 HSS mode can work with any of the Leica digital cameras?

Yes. I have a 1st generation SF58. I have used it from my M8, M9, M240 and now on my SL and M10. Works well on Manual, TTL and HSS for my Leica digital cameras.

Even on the M8/M9???  Who knew?

That's my personal experience. after then I started buying Pocket Wizards and manual flashes to do OCF. So I've been on OCF for 5 years waiting for a solution from Leica on HSS. Finally,...now.

That's a bummer.  I wonder if there's a wired solution for TTL and HSS for the R9 with the SF60?   

I think the problem is due to the fundamental difference between TTL flash exposure control for digital cameras versus that for film bodies. Digital TTL requires a pre-flash to allow the camera to gauge the proper flash exposure.  The camera then directs the flash to output the proper amount of light.

Film TTL does not use a pre-flash.  The flash fires and the camera meters the surface of the film and quenches the flash when proper exposure has been achieved.

In the Nikon world the SB-800 flash supports both film and digital TTL versions, and possibly there are Leica flashes that do as well. But I'm not familiar with them.

Is there an industry standards organisation for photography? I’m surprised there are only two thread sizes for medium sized camera tripod mounts. And accessory viewfinder shoes seem to be of a similar size and design. But so much more could be done in the consumers interest.

• Like 1

I think the problem is due to the fundamental difference between TTL flash exposure control for digital cameras versus that for film bodies. Digital TTL requires a pre-flash to allow the camera to gauge the proper flash exposure.  The camera then directs the flash to output the proper amount of light.

Film TTL does not use a pre-flash.  The flash fires and the camera meters the surface of the film and quenches the flash when proper exposure has been achieved.

In the Nikon world the SB-800 flash supports both film and digital TTL versions, and possibly there are Leica flashes that do as well. But I'm not familiar with them.

Then it seems simple to me that a firmware update could make it compatible for the film R7/8 and the M6/7.  No pre-flash, and a new menu item to switch modes to either film or digital camera. 

Then it seems simple to me that a firmware update could make it compatible for the film R7/8 and the M6/7.  No pre-flash, and a new menu item to switch modes to either film or digital camera. 

Rather than awaiting that possibility, you might consider the Leica SF-58 which is listed as being compatible with both digital and film TTL Leica bodies.  Its replacement (SF-64) is not, so I would not look for Leica film TTL support in new flashes going forward.

On the other hand if one can live with Auto-Thyrister mode there are any number of flashes that will work with both film and digital bodies.  

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1