SF-60 Flash?

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just saw this article on a new Nissin flash, the i60A

http://flashhavoc.com/nissin-i60a-speedlight-announced/

If the Leica SF-40 was based on the Nissin i40a then it would seem logical that we might get a Leica SF-60 biased on the Nissin i60A. It looks like it should be a great flashgun, with a stop more power than the Nissin i40A.

I’d be on for a couple of the Leica versions.

Possibly, except that Leica already has a deal with Metz for the yet to be released SF64. There may be a contract in place that doesn't allow another guide no 60 flash for a while.

OTOH what if Leica got Nissan to make the radio transmitter in a Leica mount that worked with the i60A. That'd change everything.

Gordon

Gordon, I wish for a flash unit (I have the SF58) with a PC socket or similar to let me connect a wireless receiver or a TTL cord would be useful. Either would let me have the flash on a bracket or separate mount when wanted.

The forthcoming Leica SF-64 is the Metz 64 repackaged with the Leica M/R firmware (chipset - or whatever it's called).  Frankly, this might be a good thing given the Nissin flashes seem to have exposure issues from what I read on the SL forum.

I tried a Leica (Nissin) SF-40 on my M-P and spent the better part of two days baffled by its seemingly random over exposure, under exposure, and the once in awhile proper (expected) exposure.  The Leica SF-58 is awkwardly sized on the M-P, but at least its exposure was okay most of the time.

While the SF-58 is stupid big on the M, the Leica SF-40 was not that much lighter once the 4 AA batteries were loaded.  As you might have deduced by now, I was not impressed by the Leica (Nissin) SF-40 and it was returned.

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just saw this article on a new Nissin flash, the i60A

http://flashhavoc.com/nissin-i60a-speedlight-announced/

If the Leica SF-40 was based on the Nissin i40a then it would seem logical that we might get a Leica SF-60 biased on the Nissin i60A. It looks like it should be a great flashgun, with a stop more power than the Nissin i40A.

I’d be on for a couple of the Leica versions.

Available soon ! http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/General-Accessories/General-Accessories/SF60-and-SFC1#

I understand that each version of the Nissin Air10s trigger can fire and control other brand-specific versions of the flash - if that capability is retained, it would allow the use of Leica's SF C1 to control Nikon/Canon/Sony versions of the Nissin i60A off-camera - which would, presumably, be cheaper than the SF60 !

Its high-speed synchronization at shutter speeds of up to 1/8000 s with compatible cameras turns day into night – the foreground is perfectly exposed by the flash while the background remains dark, despite the ambient daylight.

And the SF C1 looks like it is the Nissin Air10S

Nissin i60A is about £240 and Air 10s is £165. What price multiplier will Leica use?

About two, I reckon. And the controller will certainly be crippled not to allow for controlling unauthorised flashes  :ph34r: . And of course the SF40 is not remotely controllable. Can't they just for once produce a really useful comprehensive flash solution including TTL/HSS controllers for grown-up systems?

About two, I reckon. And the controller will certainly be crippled not to allow for controlling unauthorised flashe:ph34r: . And of course the SF40 is not remotely controllable. Can't they just for once produce a really useful comprehensive flash solution including TTL/HSS controllers for grown-up systems?

Do you have information on this? Still not known as far as I have seen. And the SF40/i40 is not wireless compatible at all, so of course it's not controllable.

On the face of it, this IS a comprehensive flash solution - but like every one else's it uses its own (or rather Nissin's) proprietary wireless protocol.

Let's wait and see rather than jump on Leica for not doing something that no one else is doing yet.

Do you have information on this? Still not known as far as I have seen. And the SF40/i40 is not wireless compatible at all, so of course it's not controllable.

On the face of it, this IS a comprehensive flash solution - but like every one else's it uses its own (or rather Nissin's) proprietary wireless protocol.

Let's wait and see rather than jump on Leica for not doing something that no one else is doing yet.

No Sir, I don't. It is just my simple conclusion in that they obviously do not want to have Nissin to produce flashes being compatible for Leica and for other brands at the same time and on top if that show the Nissin brand. I may be wrong of course (which I hope, but I doubt it).

• Like 1

No Sir, I don't. It is just my simple conclusion in that they obviously do not want to have Nissin to produce flashes being compatible for Leica and for other brands at the same time and on top if that show the Nissin brand. I may be wrong of course (which I hope, but I doubt it).

Fortunately I have no need to reach such a conclusion until I have evidence, so I will wait and see. 

Fortunately I have no need to reach such a conclusion until I have evidence, so I will wait and see. 

I hope that Leica can add the wireless reeiver equilivent to Nissin's Air R for Leica application. this way the earlier Leica flashes SF40, SF58 & SF64 can be used as OCF as well. 

Leica needs a Flash product manager, rather than adding some half hearted solutions here and there in reactive mode. Maybe they have one, but is does not look like it.

They long largely extended their clients profile from the flash-o-phobic crowd using M cameras only explaining that anything other than natural light defeats the purpose of taking pictures. Having two truly professional camera lines now since years, it is about time to talk to flash manufacturers. Imagine they would team up with Bron or Elinchrom and release something similar to a Profoto A1.

After the various bulb flash products up to the fifties Leica basically stopped being a flash maker.

The best solution up to now was  the SCA system executed by Metz. I find it a bit sad that Leica nowadays re-badges in a closed system, aimed only at maximizing turnover/profit. It would be far more customer-friendly to license their flash interface to a specialized flash manufacturer. Who cares whether a flash has a red dot or is branded "Nissin for Leica" ?

• Like 1