B&W pictures on Leica M8

plong

The exposed trees on the mountaintop show the effects of being battered by winter storms.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Zeiss Biogon 28/2.8 ZM + optical yellow filter

• Like 2

•  Starting their old Isetta  •

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess the question has been asked and with answers. As the English that I understand is that the Google translator gives me, I apologize if I repeat the question.

Lately I have M8, configured JPG ByN + DNG, the JPG in B & W that directly gives M8 sometimes seems good.

Is it correct to use it like this ...?

What program do you use to edit the photos? ..

I defend myself regularly with PS C6

Is it recommended to edit and convert this program to B & W or better to another, which one?

Or is it better to use Lightrom that seems to be used by many?

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Oxford Sunday

21/2.8 Elmarit

• Like 3

Very nice! I absolutely love the Canon 50/1.4, it's a mainstay lens for me.

I know !!

Especially on the M8. 

I have been using it with my M9 but only after the m8 coupling I really got to love it. 

Overall, the older the M8 gets, the better it becomes. 

The last year I have shot with like the best digital cameras the world has to offer today and none of them have that mojo thrill that the M8 possesses. 

I can just take casual shots with the M8 and end up with so many keepers. 

And I wouldn't take a keeper with any Fuji even if my life depended on it...Nothing wrong with the Fujis, but maybe nothing great either. 

• Like 1

Cobbu2, 

Your profile states that you also own the 240. 

I have been feeling a lot of pull from this camera lately. Have never shot with one , have never even held it I think. 

However I am considering getting it more and more. Not sure, maybe to see what it is about, I might sell it later , who knows. 

Any thoughts on how it compares with the M8 / M9 family ?

Things you love and hate about it ?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback. 

thanks

Edited by sixteen pads

You guys have inspired me to attach my Canon 50mm f1.4 ltm to my M-P...to give it a run. Used to use it on my M8's too.

It really is a nice lens. No focus shift, good ergonomics and build. Some shots have a tiny bit of glow wide open...rather nice for portraits.

A torture test shows some CA in corner edges, but that removes very cleanly in LR Develop module (Remove CA).

Pleasant bokeh.

IMO the Canon ltm lenses are all excellent. I have 35mm (f2), 50mm (f1.2, 1.4, 1.8) and 135mm. The 135mm f3.5 is truly excellent, and very easy to focus.

Have fun...

Edited by david strachan

Cobbu2, 

I have been feeling a lot of pull from this camera lately. Have never shot with one , have never even held it I think. 

However I am considering getting it more and more. Not sure, maybe to see what it is about, I might sell it later , who knows. 

thanks

Here’s a quick overview... if I can think of anything else significant later I’ll add to it. I have to say I really love the M240; that doesn’t mean I love the M8 any less! ;) One of the best features of the M240 is live view, which especially when used with the focus peaking feature allows you to nail the focus; this really comes in handy when using lenses that might be a little difficult or not perfectly adjusted focusing-wise. A good example is the Canon 50/1.2 wide open. Others would be older LTM lenses that might have front or back focus issues.

The shutter is quiet and sure. The EVF is an excellent accessory that makes live view more user-friendly. The lighted frame lines are fantastic, especially in low light. The battery is long lasting and predictable. The newest generation of memory cards can be used. ISO 3200 image quality is still great. IR can still be done, but you really have to pump up the exposure compared to the M8. The new menus take a little getting used to and are more involved than the M8 menus, but it’s not a big deal. The CMOS sensor has a different look than the CCD of the M8; not any better or worse, just different.

What I don’t like... I’ve only used the video feature once, who knows if I’ll ever use it again. There’s no receptacle to plug in a cord for file downloads, the memory card must be removed (unless you purchase the accessory grip with the GPS, another $600 or so). There’s no frameline preview lever.

That all being said, it’s refreshing to use the simplified menus when I reach for the M8. And yes, there’s something about the M8 image characteristics that result in having more “keepers” frame for frame with the M8 than the M240. And the M8’s unsurpassed IR capability and B&W image quality made it an easy decision to keep the M8 around and overall use as a backup digital M.

That’s about all I can think of at the moment, if I have anything to add, I’ll post it. I hope this helps!

And it is still possible to do night street shots in the M8 as long as there is enough ambient light to allow an ISO of 640 (still decent in the M8 IMO) and 1/24 second is still easily hand-holdable; this was with the 35/2.5 CV Color-Skopar PII.

30489071436_43cb282238_b.jpg

• Like 17

12 hours ago, sixteen pads said:

Cobbu2, 

thanks

Hello,

I had the M240 for a while , liked the camera and the photos I took with the M240 a lot yet found its rangefinder  mechanism easy to go out of alignment. Had better experiences with the M8 and M9 . Might have been my sample which I had bought well used. 

Am delighted with the M10 and have recently rebought my old M8 from the friend I had sold it to years ago even though I have a Monochrom CCD already.

Cheers, JM

M8-200 Nikkor T2.0 PL by JM__, on Flickr

M8-200 Nikkor T2.0 PL by JM__, on Flickr

Edited by JMF

Thank you guys for the input. Much appreciated. 

And let me ask you this. 

How does 240's monochrome compare to what we can get from the M8 ?

Same bite in the images ?

I am talking when converting DNG's from 240 compared to conversion of DNG's from the M8. I am not interested in jpg really. 

Thanks

Edited by sixteen pads

18 minutes ago, sixteen pads said:

Thank you guys for the input. Much appreciated. 

And let me ask you this. 

How does 240's monochrome compare to what we can get from the M8 ?

Same bite in the images ?

I am talking when converting DMG's from 240 compared to conversion of DMG's from the M8. I am not interested in jpg really. 

Thanks

I liked the BW conversions I was getting from the M240,  I always shoot DNG / RAW and  use  Photoshop . 

Fragile by JM__, on Flickr

Shot with a 28 Nikkor 1.4 on M240.

I'd say if you find a good deal , go for it ! 

It is liberating to be able to shoot clean high iso compared to the M8 and M9 and at times to use live view .

From the Sugarloaf. by JM__, on Flickr

19 Elmarit R v2 on M240

BTW sharing compressed jpegs here does not do much justice to the originals.

Best, JM

Edited by JMF