plong

B&W pictures on Leica M8

• Misty twilight at Basel • Summicron 28mm on M 8.2 •

161222_L1047434_Basel_M8.2_2.0-28_m8raw2dng_LRPSCC_fb_psd_62.9MB_frame440p_1280p_jpg_498KB.jpg

Love those colours and the lines. I'm working on a tablet at the moment but the shades of pastels (of Basel) comes through..very nice. Again from Mr mnutzer.

Regards. ..

Edited by david strachan

A nice look Ricardo. With your pooch.

I think it's a camera worth having two bodies...they are inexpensive enough, and i reckon they'll last the distance way into the future. I have two and have no regrets buying the second.

I see it as Leica's classic digital.

I haven't managed to replicate the IR signature on my M-P. As for B & W it's something everyone likes differently anyway...so perhaps just processing.

All best...

Thank you very much David, I am glad you like the pic with my dear Nikita which is in Corgi's heaven since last January.

Anyway, yes, the M8 is special, I was convinced about its magic in my trip to Japan, some of my favorite pics are from that trip and the funny thing is I took also the Sony A7 because I wasn't sure about the M8 and at the end the Sony literally took 3 pictures and stayed in the bag even at night time. Just like you I haven´t been able to replicate the M8 look (using the same lens) with my Sony A7 or Hasselblad Lunar, however the X1 is very, very similar and I love it too

I was making numbers to see if I could get my hands in an M9, but I decided that I rather get a second M8 body and a nice 28mm lens, most probably another Zeiss ZM. Have a great last week of 2016!!

Goodonya Ricardo, and thank you for your delightful PM. I well remember your Japan shots, so evocative, so lovely.

The range of lenses from wide to telephoto works very well too, of course.  So easy to choose a size to replicate the FF lens size.

And of course a 135mm lens now becomes 180mm equivalence...nice and long for a rangefinder.

Wide angle is superb too.  No colour casts on the edges either...

because it uses the central "best bit" of the lens.

Have a great year too Rivi, see you then, cheers...

I recently bought the M8, it's my 2nd rangefinder next to the M2. I read all the (positive and negative) reviews online and decided to give it a shot. I found one cheap, with only about 5000 clicks and only minor signs of use (it's in great shape to be honest!) and the store had a great return policy for occasions (return it within 2 weeks and you get a full refund!). With my D800 and A7 i shoot Raw. But after what I read i wanted to try the B&W Jpegs. So i decided to be wild and go DNG + JPEG fine.

Afterwards i got this straight out of the camera. What can I say? I think you've got to love it or hate it. I know I love it

I love my M8!

ps. don't judge the boring composition, it was only a quick test on my way to the bus

Cheers!

Love those colours and the lines. I'm working on a tablet at the moment but the shades of pastels (of Basel) comes through..very nice. Again from Mr mnutzer.

Regards. ..

Thanks David.
By your reference I saw that the color version was transmitted erroneously.
Here the black and white processing provided for this thread:

•  Steam clouds of a vintage train against the late sunlight  •

•  Lake Schluchsee  •  Black Forest  •  Southern Germany  •

•  If you would like to compare the color version perhaps, please check the forum for photo #2993 at the special railroad thread:  •

•  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/167834-faszination-eisenbahn/page-150?do=findComment&comment=3181063  •

I have question about BW JPEG1 ISO 1250 images from M8. I like what I'm getting from my M4-2 with HP5+ @1200-1600 if I'm using it under evening light (sun is low or gone, but it is still not dark). 

Is it OK to use M8 for light conditions like this at ISO1250 for BW?

Something like this (HP5+ @1200) ?

I have question about BW JPEG1 ISO 1250 images from M8. I like what I'm getting from my M4-2 with HP5+ @1200-1600 if I'm using it under evening light (sun is low or gone, but it is still not dark). 

Is it OK to use M8 for light conditions like this at ISO1250 for BW?

Something like this (HP5+ @1200) ?

Have you ever tried DNGs out of the M8 at lowest possible ISO 160 ?

If it might become too slow for your shutter, you can underexpose up to three, sometimes even five aperture stops and correct them afterwards in Lightroom, Photoshop or Capture One.

If there is enough time for composing the photos, one may try the special factory program RAW+JPG, but this needs the "button dance" before photographing and a special droplet "m8raw2dng" for processing 14-bit-DNGs from the RAWs together with the JPGs.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216705-m8raw2dng-tool-to-convert-leica-m8-raw-files-to-dng/page-1

Nice to see this thread. IMHO, having owned all sensor versions of the M, the M8/8.2 is the creme de la creme for bw photography. I shot the first Monochrome and while the results were interesting - they looked so different that they became almost an entirely new type of bw - they lacked the tonality of a good M8 conversion. Although Ralph Gibson did his usual stellar job with one (his book Mono), I always felt the M8/8.2 bw production was the closest to a silver gelatin print I've ever seen from a digital camera. I classify myself as a fool to have sold on my M8.2.

Someone mentioned filters. The only filter I ever used when deliberately shooting for a bw image was the occasional use of an orange/red filter for a particular effect. And as "drleicaman" mentioned, they blew up just fine for a 20 x 30 print.

As an aside, the CCD version sensors in the S are quite good for bw, also, but still lack that indefinable presence which characterizes the M8.

100% agree with you - the M8 is an incredible B&W camera and in my opinion never been bettered by ANY other digital camera. 

I think that the M8 is so good that it is an almost indistinguishable replacement for a true film M camera - for me I love film but I also love the B&W output of the M8, that as well as blowing the socks off any DSLR can also better the Monochrom in producing more "tactile" files that just look better.

With Color Skopar 35 2.5 at f8 and Leica flash in TTL mode.

L1013952.JPG

Sweet capture. Would be interested to see how you setup the flash in TTL? I have a SF20 but doesnt seems to work when i put TTL mode on (A is flashing?)....Any advice?