B&W pictures on Leica M8

plong

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice to see this thread. IMHO, having owned all sensor versions of the M, the M8/8.2 is the creme de la creme for bw photography. I shot the first Monochrome and while the results were interesting - they looked so different that they became almost an entirely new type of bw - they lacked the tonality of a good M8 conversion. Although Ralph Gibson did his usual stellar job with one (his book Mono), I always felt the M8/8.2 bw production was the closest to a silver gelatin print I've ever seen from a digital camera. I classify myself as a fool to have sold on my M8.2.

Someone mentioned filters. The only filter I ever used when deliberately shooting for a bw image was the occasional use of an orange/red filter for a particular effect. And as "drleicaman" mentioned, they blew up just fine for a 20 x 30 print.

As an aside, the CCD version sensors in the S are quite good for bw, also, but still lack that indefinable presence which characterizes the M8.

• Like 4

Here's one I took with the M8 prototype I had on loan from Leica for a few months before Photokina. I took this at Photokina 2006. Original was in color. ISO 160. Don't remember what lens I used, but most likely my 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH.

guessing by the angle of view, i rather suspect this to have been a 21mm lens. 35mm would have been tighter even on a full sensor.

Floating water or -  Christmas ball (;-)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

KAF-10500, Summilux-M 50mm ASPH & ND0,9+ND0,6,  6 sec.

Auf Flickr: Floating water ... by Dao De Leitz

Thorsten

• Like 12

Leica M8 - Super-Elmar 21 F3.4 Asph  -  UV/IR

• Like 5

Leica M8 - Summicron 50 Last Version - UV/IR

Edited by Gabit
  • Like 9

•  Misty twilight at Basel  •  Summicron 28mm on M 8.2  •

A nice look Ricardo. With your pooch.

I think it's a camera worth having two bodies...they are inexpensive enough, and i reckon they'll last the distance way into the future. I have two and have no regrets buying the second.

I see it as Leica's classic digital.

I haven't managed to replicate the IR signature on my M-P. As for B & W it's something everyone likes differently anyway...so perhaps just processing.

All best...

• Like 1

• Misty twilight at Basel • Summicron 28mm on M 8.2 •

attachicon.gif161222_L1047434_Basel_M8.2_2.0-28_m8raw2dng_LRPSCC_fb_psd_62.9MB_frame440p_1280p_jpg_498KB.jpg

Love those colours and the lines. I'm working on a tablet at the moment but the shades of pastels (of Basel) comes through..very nice. Again from Mr mnutzer.

Regards. ..

Edited by david strachan

A nice look Ricardo. With your pooch.

I think it's a camera worth having two bodies...they are inexpensive enough, and i reckon they'll last the distance way into the future. I have two and have no regrets buying the second.

I see it as Leica's classic digital.

I haven't managed to replicate the IR signature on my M-P. As for B & W it's something everyone likes differently anyway...so perhaps just processing.

All best...

Thank you very much David, I am glad you like the pic with my dear Nikita which is in Corgi's heaven since last January.

Anyway, yes, the M8 is special, I was convinced about its magic in my trip to Japan, some of my favorite pics are from that trip and the funny thing is I took also the Sony A7 because I wasn't sure about the M8 and at the end the Sony literally took 3 pictures and stayed in the bag even at night time. Just like you I haven´t been able to replicate the M8 look (using the same lens) with my Sony A7 or Hasselblad Lunar, however the X1 is very, very similar and I love it too :)

I was making numbers to see if I could get my hands in an M9, but I decided that I rather get a second M8 body and a nice 28mm lens, most probably another Zeiss ZM. Have a great last week of 2016!!

Goodonya Ricardo, and thank you for your delightful PM. I well remember your Japan shots, so evocative, so lovely.

The range of lenses from wide to telephoto works very well too, of course.  So easy to choose a size to replicate the FF lens size.

And of course a 135mm lens now becomes 180mm equivalence...nice and long for a rangefinder.

Wide angle is superb too.  No colour casts on the edges either... ;) because it uses the central "best bit" of the lens.

Have a great year too Rivi, see you then, cheers...