plong

B&W pictures on Leica M8

I feel the M8 very closely mimics film results with silky/creamy tones... don't ask me to quantify it, I just know it when I see it! But where it also shines is in the infrared genre; with an R72 filter it's IR-ready with no hassles.

Ditto on the CV 15mm Super Wide Heliar; the crop factor actually works to an advantage with this lens. As far as the crop factor itself is concerned, I must admit I had some slight trepidation when I first started out with my M8, but over time I got used to it to the point it's second nature.

Cheers,

Allan

I don't use the UV/IR Cut filter at all when shooting B&W.  When I intend to have IR as the final result, I use an R72 filter.  In bright daylight I set the ISO to 640; for me, it keeps the exposures in the usable handheld range.

Here's one I took with the M8 prototype I had on loan from Leica for a few months before Photokina. I took this at Photokina 2006. Original was in color. ISO 160. Don't remember what lens I used, but most likely my 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH. This image was converted in Silver Efex Pro last summer. I have done 20 x 30 prints of this, and they turned out great.

Nice to see this thread. IMHO, having owned all sensor versions of the M, the M8/8.2 is the creme de la creme for bw photography. I shot the first Monochrome and while the results were interesting - they looked so different that they became almost an entirely new type of bw - they lacked the tonality of a good M8 conversion. Although Ralph Gibson did his usual stellar job with one (his book Mono), I always felt the M8/8.2 bw production was the closest to a silver gelatin print I've ever seen from a digital camera. I classify myself as a fool to have sold on my M8.2.

Someone mentioned filters. The only filter I ever used when deliberately shooting for a bw image was the occasional use of an orange/red filter for a particular effect. And as "drleicaman" mentioned, they blew up just fine for a 20 x 30 print.

As an aside, the CCD version sensors in the S are quite good for bw, also, but still lack that indefinable presence which characterizes the M8.

Here's one I took with the M8 prototype I had on loan from Leica for a few months before Photokina. I took this at Photokina 2006. Original was in color. ISO 160. Don't remember what lens I used, but most likely my 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH.

guessing by the angle of view, i rather suspect this to have been a 21mm lens. 35mm would have been tighter even on a full sensor.

Floating water or -  Christmas ball (;-)

KAF-10500, Summilux-M 50mm ASPH & ND0,9+ND0,6,  6 sec.

Auf Flickr: Floating water ... by Dao De Leitz

Thorsten

The beauty is everybody is free to create their own "Leica look". I love my M8 in fact probably I get a second body just to make sure I have plenty of this look for the years to come.

Nikitriki by Ricardo Villagran, on Flickr

A nice look Ricardo. With your pooch.

I think it's a camera worth having two bodies...they are inexpensive enough, and i reckon they'll last the distance way into the future. I have two and have no regrets buying the second.

I see it as Leica's classic digital.

I haven't managed to replicate the IR signature on my M-P. As for B & W it's something everyone likes differently anyway...so perhaps just processing.

All best...