LUF Admin

Survey: Which Leica (or non-Leica) cameras do you use?

Which cameras do you use?  

1,090 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera types and brands do you use?

• Leica only
    • No Leica at all (please vote what else)
    • Leica and other manufacturer (please vote what else)
    • Nikon DSLR
    • Canon DSLR
    • DSLR (other manufacturer)
    • Mirrorless (other manufacturer)
    • Compact Camera
    • Medium Format
    • Smartphone
    • Analogue / Film
  2. 2. Which Leica camera systems do you use?

• Leica M
    • Leica R
    • Leica S
    • Leica SL
    • Leica T
    • Leica Q
    • Leica X
    • Leica C
    • Leica V-Lux
    • Leica D-Lux
    • Leica Digilux
    • Vintage Leica (Screwmount or similar)
    • Other Leica (please comment which)
    • No Leica at all

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Leica use is confined to a 1938 3A with Summar lens which currently has a Fuji colour neg film in it. I also have & use a Toyo 45A11 with 6x7 & 6x12cm roll film backs, & a Ritter 8"x10" which is used with black & white film only because of cost! Best wishes.

Leica M1, M3, M6, M8, M9

Leica R-E and two R7s

Leica IIIc and IIIf bd

Leica VLux-3  - an unglamorous Panaleica and not perfect, but a versatile, knockabout grab-camera with a big zoom; it has always had loads of use

An ageing DMC-TZ5 Panasonic compact, various retired film cameras (inc. several screw Pentax, inc. two Spotties), etc.

Looking for a good and affordable wildlife/birding DSLR combination, which alas can't be Leica

S

Leica M9 with 50 Apo Summicron and 90 Elmarit. Wonderful results as long as tilt and shift are not needed.

Leica M8, my first digital Leica, because I still like it for B&W. It still beats most other digital cameras.

Leica M6 and M3 with lenses acquired over the last forty years. Modern film is better than ever, both color (Kodak 160) and B&W (Ilford Delta 100 and Adox). NCPS in CA develops color and scans (jpg) with about a week turnaround, by mail. B&W with PMK in a Jobo drum works at home. Same for sheet film.

R8 with 180mm ƒ/3.4 Apo tele lens and 80mm Summilux.

Sigma DP-1 because the image quality is excellent and the camera is smaller than an M, so fits in a jacket pocket.

BetterLight 4x5 digital scanning back for landscape when there is no wind. This gives the best image quality for huge prints - full RGB files, no interpolation. A tiny bit of lens tilt makes a huge difference.

4x5 film in Linhof for days when things are moving (wind).

4x5 film Chamonix for anything further than a hundred yards from the car ... packed in a hard Portabrace back pack (doesn't collapse to crush the contents).

Canon DSLR 1d MkII with 28mm shift lens and 100 mm macro lens. It's as heavy as a 4x5 camera outfit, seldom used.

FLM tripod for everything. 

Considering buying a Ricoh GR II Silver Edition with APS-C sensor (to be released in March 2016) because it is small and fast, easier than fiddling with the zoom on a d-lux Type 109, and less expensive. Smaller too, no evf eye thing. I might not use the FLM for this! J

I had no idea there would be such wonderful choices of cameras during my life. It's been great fun. Leica has held my interest for longer than any other camera manufacturer (Linhof was great too). The quality and styling appeals to me and their lens and image quality is usually superior.

Conflict, Social, Reportage, Documentary Photography and Films. 

Hasselblad Xpan

45/4

M6

Elmarit-M 24/2.8

Summilux ASPH 35/1.4

Sony A6000 (x3)

Sony NEX 5n

Zeiss 24/1.8

Sony 16/2.8

Sony 20/2.8

Pentax Takumar SMC 28/2.8

Pentax Takumar SMC 35/2

Pentax Takumar SMC 50/1.4

Pentax Takumar SMC Macro 55/4

Pentax Takumar SMC Macro 100/4

Pentax Takumar SMC 135/2.5
Metabones Speedbooster Ultra

iPhone 6+

Leica M9, S2, SL, Typ109, analog M5,MP3

sinar P3+Sinar54H, Contax645, Fuji x20. sony A7s

Edited by ynp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica M240 plus lots of Leica lenses. I have some older Leica stuff - Bellows II, Viosflex III, Visoflex lenses etc which I still use for macro.

Ricoh GXR with M mount

Olympus OM-D E-M1 for zooms and AF.

I have a smartphone but rarely use it for taking photographs.

I use from Leica brand  a M 240 and a D-LUX 6. Other cameras - Canon 5 D III - with a lot of lenses - Sony RX 10 - a Pansonic FT3 (tough camera).

I use Leica M and screw Leicas, M9, M6TTL, M2 and Leica 111. 

I use quite a bit of film, in 35 mm, medium format in a Hasselblad, occasionally in my large format 4x5, for monochrome landscapes. As I get older the larger formats are harder to carry up the mountains and I am using the 35 mm format more often. I find that conversion of the digital file to monochrome has different tonality to film and has a more 'plastic' flat look. However we are very limited in choice of film and developer in New Zealand, and although I can send overseas for film, they are not happy to send 'hazardous chemicals' developer through the post these days.

On my website www.nickbradfordlandscapes.com  all the photos are made on medium format film. 

It's some years ago since we made our last survey about what cameras you use.

Leica has some new camera lines and new player entered the market.

I have two questions to you in order to get an overview again:

1. Do you use only Leica cameras? Or do you use DSLR or other camera types?

2. Which Leica product systems do you use?

In case I forgot an important option please leave a comment below.

I'll add it (if it doesn't make the survey too complicated)

Thanks for your votes!

I'll leave the survey open for 1 or 2 weeks, after that I'll publish an analysis.

And now please...

1. Cast your votes above (2x).

2. Comment below...

I'm curious about the results...

As an 'Old School' Photographer  that has been shooting for almost 50 years Leica M cameras (M3, M6TTL, M8, M9P) for 'reportage', but Medium and Large Format for my professional needs and Landscape too, I think you've forgotten a very important parcel in the actual era. And that's the equivalent to Large format photography and the only real alternative to Bayer based sensors. I'm talking about Sigma Foveon cameras, especially Merrill versions. At base Iso there's nothing comparable. A whole bunch of quality in a small package. I know that there are many Leica shooters like me, who shoots Sigma too...

Leica m9

canon 6d

contax g2

I 'll sell my 6d when leica will make an M with a concorrential cmos iso perfomance ( not like m240) 

What fun to see people's history and preferences.

Leica Rangefinders have been a constant in my tool box for most my life ... including a 1932 model through my current MM. In over 40 years of shooting Leica Rangefinders, I probably shot less than 10 rolls of color film, so when I carry the MM I use a iPhone 6 for tourist shots in color and send them with text messages, or use them on social sites. Unless it is a commercial job I don't shoot color very much. 

I used Leica Rs up to the R9 with a DMR unit.

The Leica S system then replaced all R gear and all Medium Format kits including Hasselblad V 500 and 200 systems as well as the later H system culminating with the H4D/60.

For shooting weddings, I've blown through most every SLR, DSLR, SLT brand made ... which came and went ... now all gone ... replaced by mirrorless Sony A7R/A7R-II ( a remarkable testimony to the level of complexity that the simple act of photography can aspire to ... LOL!)

What have I learned with all this gear centric stuff?

1) If you zero in on a simple kit that works, keep it and ignore the siren's song from the makers and their enthusiastic followers.  

2) Few if any gear advancements made a real difference in my work. With the advent of the very expensive digital age, had I stuck with my M9, Canon 5D, and Hasselblad 501CW with digital back ... I could have done just as well, but would be retired to a Villa in Tuscany rather than a Condo in Florida : -)

But ... I do have to admit, it HAS been fun. So there's that.

- Marc