Survey: Which Leica (or non-Leica) cameras do you use?

LUF Admin

Which cameras do you use?  

1,213 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera types and brands do you use?

• Leica only
    • No Leica at all (please vote what else)
    • Leica and other manufacturer (please vote what else)
    • Nikon DSLR
    • Canon DSLR
    • DSLR (other manufacturer)
    • Mirrorless (other manufacturer)
    • Compact Camera
    • Medium Format
    • Smartphone
    • Analogue / Film
  2. 2. Which Leica camera systems do you use?

• Leica M
    • Leica R
    • Leica S
    • Leica SL
    • Leica T
    • Leica Q
    • Leica X
    • Leica C
    • Leica V-Lux
    • Leica D-Lux
    • Leica Digilux
    • Vintage Leica (Screwmount or similar)
    • Other Leica (please comment which)
    • No Leica at all

For film I use 2 1954 Leica IIIf screw mount cameras with 3.5 cm Summaron f/3.5, 5.0 cm  Elmar f/3.5, 5.0 cm Summicron f/2, and 20 cm f/4.5 Telyt lens (with Visoflex I).  I also use a Voigtlander Bessa-R with the same Leica screw mount lenses (the Voigtlander is much easier to load with film in the field).  I mostly use film for long exposure astro-photography on a Celestron telescope.  I process my own film, and until a few years ago I processed my own B&W and color prints, but after selling most of my darkroom equipment I now scan the film on a Epson 700 flat bed scanner that provides up to 6400 dpi optical resolution.

For digital photography I use 2 full frame DSLR cameras, a Kodak DCS Pro 14n camera which has a Nikon lens mount, and a Nikon 610.  I use prime and zoom Nikon lenses ranging from 28mm to 400mm focal length.  I also use a Canon PowerShot A650IS with 35-210 mm zoom, real image optical zoom viewfinder, and a fully articulating LCD monitor viewfinder.

M2, M3, M5, M6, IIIC

M(240) for digital which is rarely used. Mostly for family snapshots. Got it thinking I would get into digital but cannot get past that it, and everything digital I have seen (Canon, Nikon, et al), cannot render depth of space, the layers of space, the way film does. Picture elements look pasted on.

Leica IIIf (shelf warmer)

M3

M6

M240

SL

Plaubel Makina 670

Polaroid SX-70 (shelf warmer)

Polaroid Spectra (shelf warmer)

Polaroid Land 195

Linhof Super Technika (mostly for polaroids)

Deardorff V8 8x10

Edited by adli

I use Leica IIIf, red dial, and Leica IIIb with lenses Elmar 35/3.5, Elmar 50/2.8, Elmar 90/4, Hektor 135/4.5 (alone or with Visoflex I), Jupiter 50/2, Jupiter 35/2.8, Jupiter 85/2.

Further Nikon D700, Nikon D200 as main camera's

I own and use also a collection of analogue camera's of which the most important: Robot (24x24 and 24x36Royal), Voigtländer Bessa II, Vitessa-T, the Cosina Bessa R, Olympus I, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT, Minolta X-700, Praktica FX3, Nikon F90X, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 530/16, Zeiss Ikon Nettar, Yashica 124G, Rolleicord I, Agfa Isolette II, etc. etc

Edited by willmaes

1. Do you use only Leica cameras? Or do you use DSLR or other camera types?

I primarily use the M system cameras. M4-2, M7, R9 film and M8, M9M, and M240 digital. Although I will occasionally rent the S-006, because I LOVE the CCD. However, for MF I have the Pentax 645Z for ease of use, lens choice, and the incredible dynamic range that is offered on the CMOS sensor made but Sony (and exactly the same sensor in the Hasselblad 50c and Phase One systems, to be honest... MF digital SHOULD be much cheaper than it is. However, surprisingly, the Leica S series is relatively affordable. But has the SAME digital obsolescence as most any other camera system besides the CLASSIC M. I also use the X system for fun

I also use, or have used, Contax G2, Olympus OM-1, Fuji X-E1, and the original Sony A7 with adapters for classic Minolta, Nikkor, and M mount lenses, and for MF the Hasselblad V series and Pentax 6x7. I carry around a Ricoh GRV in my pocket at all times. It's my back-up or around when even the M seems too large.

I gave up my Canon system (6D, 5D MkII, original 7D) and have never looked back. The other Mirrorless cameras (Sony, Fuji, Ricoh) are around for "just in case" situations, but I primarily keep to the Leica M system in MOST situations.

2. Which Leica product systems do you use?

Like I went over above: M, R, S (ometimes), and X. I like the Q and the T, but really don't have any need for them. The SL looks awesome, but I feel like it would be overkill with a 24MP CMOIS sensor when I have the M240.

I use a Leica Typ 240, but more and more I find that my Fujifilm X-T1 and X-E2 are more satisfying to use.  Also, the excellent Fuji lenses are a lot more affordable than Leica glass. When I need more reach and/or faster AF I use my Pentax K-3ii, and for casual carry I enjoy using my Sony RS100 Type 4.

Edited by jamesk8752