Survey: Which Leica (or non-Leica) cameras do you use?

LUF Admin

Which cameras do you use?  

1,213 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera types and brands do you use?

• Leica only
    • No Leica at all (please vote what else)
    • Leica and other manufacturer (please vote what else)
    • Nikon DSLR
    • Canon DSLR
    • DSLR (other manufacturer)
    • Mirrorless (other manufacturer)
    • Compact Camera
    • Medium Format
    • Smartphone
    • Analogue / Film
  2. 2. Which Leica camera systems do you use?

• Leica M
    • Leica R
    • Leica S
    • Leica SL
    • Leica T
    • Leica Q
    • Leica X
    • Leica C
    • Leica V-Lux
    • Leica D-Lux
    • Leica Digilux
    • Vintage Leica (Screwmount or similar)
    • Other Leica (please comment which)
    • No Leica at all

• LUF Admin unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Leica M3, Rollei 35, and Olympus XA. I was initially disappointed in the XA, as the extraordinarily short focus throw and rather dim rangefinder patch made it very difficult to nail focus. I have started to use it more frequently lately, out of necessity, and have found that there is definitely a "method" to use. I have access to a darkroom via my local college, and I made some prints last weekend. I was astonished by the quality of the photos shot with the XA. It has been said countless times, but the lens on that tiny camera is phenomenal.

Edited by Brancbūth

9 minutes ago, ianman said:

Nice :)  I've been eyeing it up for a while. Are you happy with it? Does it really work as a back on your 503cx (I have one of those too) or is that just a sales gimmick?

Hi Ianman,

It is a great digital back.  It works flawlessly on the 503cw, no cables, no sync issues, just shoot.  Originally I was just going to use it as a back but the after trying a couple of the XCD lenses it is a wonderful camera in it's own right.  My Flickr page has albums listed by camera and some by lens if you want to see some sample shot with that system.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/30316020@N08/albums

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Throw me out if you like, but I've sold all my Leicas (save for the bellows, Visoflex and Visoflex lenses that no one wants, though I have found a sneaky use for them!)

Some of this won't make much sense until you remember Leica users tend to be perfectionists, Apollonian rather than Dionysian, and sometimes have more money than sense. I won't try to remember the various V-Lux and D-Lux cameras I bought for my wife.. What I have personally had were:

Digilux 2 (a really good camera, but developed sensor fault)

M8 (sold)

M8.2 (sold)

M9 (sold)

M Monochrom (sold)

M7 (x3 in total)

MP (x3 in total)

No excuses for the M7/MP debacle, just a matter of not being sure which model I preferred, then the chrome or black paint thing. Totally inexcusable.

M5 (given away)

M2 (sold, and probably the one I miss most)

R9 (sold quickly as I found the ergonomics horrible)

Lenses - well, let's spare my blushes and not go over the number I've bought, sold and re-bought, black and silver, (plus a few Voigtlanders). Too many, but undoubtedly an excellent addition to Leica's bottom line.

And yet, here I am, barely missing a day when I don't develop a film. Two things happened that explained all this. Firstly I realised that I prefer the experience of an SLR over a rangefinder. Shoot me if you like. It's the way my brain is made and I can't help it. Secondly, I had to get rid of embarrassingly expensive cameras in a hurry when it looked like the leukemia was about to leave my wife with a problem. Twice. It wasn't just Leicas, but numerous lovely classic 35mm SLRs, all sorts of medium format TLRs, Hasselblads, Fuji MFs etc. Then the large format Crown Graphics, 4x5 Chamonix and 10x8 Chamonix. You see, after I survived the first round of chemo I stopped work and decided to spend my time with film of all sorts. When I relapsed, I had to have a second great sell-off. I decided to cut things back to a Nikon F6 for 35mm, and a Hasselblad 500 for MF. However, not all the Pentax SLRs sold, and somehow I couldn't bring myself to sell the Olympus Trip 35, OM2ns, or Pen-Fs. The Chamonix 4x5 also didn't find a buyer. I did sell the Flextight 848 and X1 scanners but kept the Nikon 9000 as it seemed like a reasonable compromise. So I rotate these cameras, and have lately had an enormous amount of fun playing with the half-frame Olympus cameras (dare I say it, they are smaller, lighter and quieter than a Leica M, and film is half the price!) As proof of laziness, I have made motorized Rondinax and Lab-Box tanks and developed ways of developing film with minimum effort. I can even do C-41 and E6 with them but don't enjoy it much. As long as my recent bone marrow transplant works, and as long as I can keep away from Covid, I can have all sorts of fun. I just wish I could get out and about to see some new subjects. But as long as I'm up to it, I'll post film shots in the 'I Like Film' thread (and thanks again for agreeing to make it open to any film camera!)

I do have a couple of digital cameras, and use them rather reluctantly for wildlife. It feels like cheating though, and I know I will never enjoy them. The D850 has a long lens for my otters, and also provides a backup way of digitizing 35mm negatives. The Olympus OM-D has an adaptor that lets me use the Visoflex lenses (the 560mm becomes an 1120mm lens!) and I keep on trying to train my wife to use the OM-D. She'll be fine as long as she keeps away from the appalling and byzantine menu system.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

M10M and SL2 user here but I still have a lot of medium format Hasselblad and Rolleiflex TLR gear, as well as 5x7 and 8x10 large format cameras and lenses. I haven’t travelled or shot film in two years and don’t know if I should just sell them. They are sure taking up a lot of space. Prior to going Leica digital I mainly did street photography with Rolleiflex TLR and Hasselblad SWC.

• 10 months later...