Survey: Which Leica (or non-Leica) cameras do you use?

LUF Admin

Which cameras do you use?  

1,213 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera types and brands do you use?

• Leica only
    • No Leica at all (please vote what else)
    • Leica and other manufacturer (please vote what else)
    • Nikon DSLR
    • Canon DSLR
    • DSLR (other manufacturer)
    • Mirrorless (other manufacturer)
    • Compact Camera
    • Medium Format
    • Smartphone
    • Analogue / Film
  2. 2. Which Leica camera systems do you use?

• Leica M
    • Leica R
    • Leica S
    • Leica SL
    • Leica T
    • Leica Q
    • Leica X
    • Leica C
    • Leica V-Lux
    • Leica D-Lux
    • Leica Digilux
    • Vintage Leica (Screwmount or similar)
    • Other Leica (please comment which)
    • No Leica at all

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Dlux and C when traveling and everyday use

Pen-F and Panasonc G7 mostly with Summilux 15 f:1,7, Summilux 25 f:1,4 and Vario-Elmarit 14-150 (4:3, via 4/3 to m4/3 adapter)

Sony A7II (only for manual focus) with Novoflex adapters for R, Contax and OM lenses. OM lenses from 28 mm down to 21, 35 mm up R (mostly) and Contax.

Digilux 2 for great fun.

Sigma DP-2 Merryl mainly for B&W work and Nikon 1 J5 for point and shoot for its great user interface for this type of photography.

I did a terrible thing - I put my digital Leicas (two M9s) and auto Leicas (two M7S) into a remote storage locker. The feeling doing so was a gut-thing, it hurt. Looking on what is left are a couple dozen or so MF and LF cameras, half of which I built myself. Next is to pare them and put the remains to storage. Gut-wrenching as was when I gave away my library when I moved from a huge house to a one-bedroom cottage. Liberating is not easy. I do not really expect any benefit other than less distraction.

Aside: I wonder what it will be like when my sh*t-load of photo gear, most of it obsolete, is disposed of in an estate sale. Who would care, pay, or even know what's there? I have dreams of scenarios, none pleasant.

Time for the daily nap. :)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Leica  R 8,7 +4. LeicaFlex 1 & Leicaflex SL , M3 Contax G 2 and 1.

Minolta Dynax 7 although it's a bit too large is a great system camera.

Love the feel and build of  Portugise Leica R but the best are the old German Flexes are supreme . They are SLR equivalents of the M 3 and Far better than the R 6.2 However although the M 3 is a great camera it doesn't match Contax G2 with those fab lenses. So the Contax G system wins my vote for rangefinder. 

BTW I've given up on those Fisher Price  digital plastic cameras. I have used and like the limitations of film. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, andyturk said:

Leica M + iPhone for uninteresting snapshots

I can’t imagine how you do that. If I only have my iPhone with me and a scene makes me say “wow”, I’m not going to refrain from snapping it.

2 hours ago, Exodies said:

I can’t imagine how you do that. If I only have my iPhone with me and a scene makes me say “wow”, I’m not going to refrain from snapping it.

Sadly, my mind doesn't even think much about scenes or photographs unless the M is in my hand or around my neck. The tactile experience of the camera itself helps get me in the mood. Weird, eh?

• Like 2

From the first moment I visited LUF my next steps brought me deeper and deeper into the Leica universe. Beginning with the X1 I quickly paired it with one of her older siblings, a Leica IIIC (with conversions to IIIF) and a couple of screw-mount lenses. Than followed the M4-P again with some lenses. As I acquired a chrome Summicron 50 DR I had to pair that with a matching body, so a Leica M3 came in the game. Also the underrated and in many reviews blasted Leica X-Vario found a good home in my house. As I am dedicated film photographer, I also regularly use my different film cameras from pocket cam to the small medium format (645). On my recent trip to NYC I had my Leica Minilux, my Ricoh GR1 and the M3 in my bag and brought home my best photo series so far. More than once I thought about letting the digital cameras go, but I somehow like them for some purposes and keep them. When the Leica Monochrom was presented I fell in love with the concept - but the price tag was too hefty for my bank account...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My grab and go camera/lens is a Nikon 1 J5 /Nikon 1 70-300mm plus a set of third party tubes … camera fitted with Zacuto optical finder. Whole outfit fits in a small Billingham f5.6 shoulder bag and offers FF equivalent 189-810mm with 1:1 macro. Ideal for butterflies  and dragonflies. Also use the J5 with Leica R lenses. The 1" sensor (2.7x crop factor) is very much larger than those of compact megazoom cameras. Nikon ceased making their '1' Series  several years ago but it's still popular … and the 'entry level' J5 has the best sensor of all the Nikon 1 models 

dunk