Survey: Which Leica (or non-Leica) cameras do you use?

LUF Admin

Which cameras do you use?  

1,213 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera types and brands do you use?

• Leica only
    • No Leica at all (please vote what else)
    • Leica and other manufacturer (please vote what else)
    • Nikon DSLR
    • Canon DSLR
    • DSLR (other manufacturer)
    • Mirrorless (other manufacturer)
    • Compact Camera
    • Medium Format
    • Smartphone
    • Analogue / Film
  2. 2. Which Leica camera systems do you use?

• Leica M
    • Leica R
    • Leica S
    • Leica SL
    • Leica T
    • Leica Q
    • Leica X
    • Leica C
    • Leica V-Lux
    • Leica D-Lux
    • Leica Digilux
    • Vintage Leica (Screwmount or similar)
    • Other Leica (please comment which)
    • No Leica at all

when film photography I used some Canons FD when young, in 1983 I switch to Leica M3, and stayed with it. Also used a Nikon F with no prism and it was fun, but got tired of it, also owned a couple of nikons along the way too. I end up with seven M bodies and several Leica lenses from all ages and no other film camera. I even sold my 500C/M.

On the digital era I begun with a Sony R1 with a fixed zoom Zeiss lens, then a Panasonic micro 3/4 that I could put my leica lens in, then looking for the Leica experience I got a fuji X1Pro, at the end in 2012 I could get a M-E and fell in love with photography again, now I have a CCD Monochrom too. I also own two digital Canon 5D and 6D, and a 24/1.4 canon lens too.

I have three camera bags (well I have some more) and use them this way:

Fuji bag: X1Pro+35/1.4, X1Pro+14/2.8 + 60 /2.5 macro + X-100T (three bodies and four lenses)

Canon bag: 5D+100/2.8 macro + 6D+24/1.4 + 40/2.8 pancake lens + 12mm extension tube (two bodies and three lenses)

Leica Bag: M-E+35/1.4 asph + Monochrome+50/2 (two bodies two lenses)

I can use another twelve lenses for my M´s but I only change lenses at home.

21/3.4+28/2.8III+35/2.8+35/2 pre asph+ 35/1.4 pre asph + 50/1.5 TT&H + 50/2 DR + 50/3.5 SM + 50/1.4 pre asph, 90/4 collapsible + 90/2 pre asph + 135/4 also own a couple of minolta M mount lenses 40/2.8 and 90/4

By the way I hardly have time to shoot

Regards

I shoot R9 with DMR, M9-P, D-Lux-5.  I used to shoot analog and still have my R4/R7, M6's and Hasselblad but digital convenience and quality has finally overcome my resistance. I've thought a lot about the S system but can't justify the cost of an S system since photography is a hobby for me. I was disappointed when Leica discontinued the R system. I can understand a system tailored for professional shooters but there seems to be a hole created, without the R, that the S doesn't fill. I love my M9-P but it isn't a DSLR! 

Edited by oracledba

I use Leica film and digital and also Canon SLR's. My Leica's include a variety of 'M' film and digital cameras, numerous screw thread film Leica's plus a X-Vario (Which I love) and also a Leica T outfit complete with the wide, standard, and tele zoom lenses all of which are truly superb and desperately under rated. Don Morley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1. The only Leica I have is a M3 (s/s) in excellent condition and having [serial # 1135 2xx] with a 50mm f/2 Summicron lens (lens made in Germany). I have many accessories for this M3.

2. The other 'film cameras I have are:

(i) Rolleiflex SLX 66 (using 120 and 220 film) with two superb lenses (Rollei HFT 80mm & 120mm) + a whole lot of accessories, and a Rolleiflex 35S

(ii) Pentax (zoom 105-R) which is pretty old but takes superb pictures

3.  The only Digital Camera I have is an Olympus xZ-1

4. I also use my iPhone for taking photos

5. I would like to buy a Leica R8 or similar, sometime

- from MEL, AUS

Edited by PiRIUS

It's some years ago since we made our last survey about what cameras you use.

Leica has some new camera lines and new player entered the market.

I have two questions to you in order to get an overview again:

1. Do you use only Leica cameras? Or do you use DSLR or other camera types?

2. Which Leica product systems do you use?

In case I forgot an important option please leave a comment below.

I'll add it (if it doesn't make the survey too complicated)

Thanks for your votes!

I'll leave the survey open for 1 or 2 weeks, after that I'll publish an analysis.

And now please...

1. Cast your votes above (2x).

2. Comment below...

Leica M6 and R8.

Nikon D700 for digital.

I'm curious about the results...

Leica includes: M3, M6, M6J, M8, M9, M240

M240 goes on vacation now (50mm F2 and 90mm F2) with a Sony AX100 for 4K video.

For live theater documentary work, the M240 for publicity stills, Canon 1DX for action stills and Panasonic GH4 for 4K videos.

Favorite Leica lenses:

APO Summicron-M 50mm F2 ASPH

Summicron-M 90mm F2

Summilux-M 35mm F1.4 ASPH

Noctilux-M 50mm F0.95 ASPH

As a retired professional photographer I carry a camera almost all the time....It gives me pleasure to see the world with a camera...I'm lucky like that 

I use the M240 and various lenses as my primary camera.

When I dont want to carry an M. I use an X2, love the lens/ hate the focus slowness...don't mind the lack of viewfinder. I wish Leica cared more about the X2...its got the potential to be great little camera

Occasionally I need Zooms /Telephoto Zooms /Autofocus or TTL...... I then use a Nikon 610......It should be said I came to Leica because I really dislike Nikons menus and cameras that do too much 

So even though I use the Nikon, I truly hate the camera. It is my hope to do away with this system and this kind of photographic work...just not yet.

I also have a DLux 6 that my wife uses for outings and travel shots. IMHO this is a great little pocket camera but it does too much stuff for my liking...I wish the DLux design was more Leica and less Panasonic ...simple is good

Also I hope to get an MM one day but I think I'll wait for a few model improvements. I shoot a lot of B&W but for now the 240 is perfect.....I am looking forward to see where Leica takes the MM 

Edited by ECohen

Leica M3 only. I currently want to buy a M9 to help me to get better understanding of exposure and practice my focus-skill, however I might be very skilled when I have enough money to but a m9.

In other word, I am very satisfied with my Leica m3 and summicron 50 collapsible. The machine is both smooth and solid. And the film is much better than digital despite of costs and inconvenience.