plasticman

The unthinkable?: switching from Vuescan to Silverfast

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/4/2017 at 8:28 AM, raphael said:

Everyone here is complaining about the higher price of Silverfast. But couldn't you just buy the SE version for $50 instead of the Ai Studio version for $300?

If I understood correctly, the SE version just lacks some minor features such as batch scanning and IT-8 target calibration (which VueScan lacks, too). Additionally, IT-8 target calibration is only useful for slides, not for negatives.

I'm thinking about making this purchase:
SilverFast 8 SE for $50

Instead of:
VueScan for $90 + ColorPerfect for $67

Am I missing something?

As other have said, this depends on the model of scanner you have, but also the versions of Silverfast available depend on your OS. They seem to update the software for new OS's only while the scanner hardware is still in production. So if your scanner predates 64 bit OS's - too bad there won't be an upgrade for it. The more expensive 'pro' versions of Silverfast are supported for longer so this is why many older scanners will have only a Pro version of Silverfast available for sale.

The pattern seems to be:

1) Current hardware + OS = SilverFast 8 SE or Ai Studio

2) Discontinued hardware + current OS = Ai Studio

3) Discontinued hardware + Discontinued OS = Ai Studio (written for old OS)

3) Discontinued hardware + New OS = Ai Studio (written for old OS but may still work)
The danger at this point is that you will upgrade or patch your computer one day and then suddenly find that Silverfast no longer works.

What we need is for Hamrick to release a 'pro' version of Vuescan with better colour management and support for Kodachrome, that would put Silverfast out of business. In the meantime VueScan + ColorPerfect would seem like a much safer investment.

Scanned my first film yesterday and I have a question regarding SilverFast.

I select following: Transparency - Negative - 16 bit HDR RAW for scanning B&W film and I select output as DNG file. But when I open it in Lightroom - it's negative, not positive. TIFF - the same

I can select 8 bit JPEG output and I do get normal picture, but I would prefer to archive DNG, not JPEGs.

I couldn't open their forum either - it requires username/password even for main page and therefore I cannot even register there.

I tried demo version of VueScan but it also cannot produce DNG and final image is quite overexposed (compared to Silverfast). And they say that for scanning negatives I should use professional version (which I cannot try before paying $99)

Any help would be appreciated

Edited by dimm

6 hours ago, dimm said:

it's negative, not positive. TIFF - the same

The reason is very simple: You selected the wrong output format. The HDR-formats are for processing with SilverFast's HDR software. TheHDR-formats are the data as coming from the scanner without any modification. Therefore they are also very dark (no gamma correction). You need to select "16bit". I recommend to use TIF. The DNG-format is not appropriate here and I have heard of cases where it caused problems.

You may consider scanning in colour, which would be "48bit" and later select the channel with the best resolution, if this is an issue. Resolution varies with channel for some scanners.

Hermann-Josef

Edited by Jossie

Thank you.

Does anybody know how to access their forum? I can't even open main page in order to register. It requires username and password which obviously I don't have.

1 hour ago, dimm said:

Thank you.

Does anybody know how to access their forum? I can't even open main page in order to register. It requires username and password which obviously I don't have.

I would call Lasersoft's support centre in Kiel, Germany. When I  was having a registration issue for a Plustek Film Scanner, where I had bought the quite expensive Silverfast software upgrade, I got a very helpful lady who spoke better English than my rusty German and she was able to sort the problem I had. The upgraded software did not cure the soft images from the Plustek, which I suspect is down to poor film to sensor alignment.

I have gone back to using an SL601 camera on a Leitz BEOON copying stand, with a Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm/f2.8 Componon S enlarging lens (high resolution and very flat field), where any focus issues are down to me. I can scan a 36 exposure film in around 2 minutes to near perfect DNG files. I develop these in C1 V.20 and do the final tweaks in PS CS 2020, including conversion of colour negatives to positive, where I use an automator action to do a batch conversion. It is not perfect but near enough for a minor amount of tweaking to sort. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, dimm said:

Does anybody know how to access their forum?

The forum is inactive since early 2018, i.e. these are the latest posts published. Now and then, the forum requires a password, like currently. This disappeared in the past after a few days. You can, however, ask for online help from within the SF application. Go to the menu item "help" at upper right. There is the option "ask for online support" or something like this. You can describe your problem and the text together with the log file will be sent to LSI. You will be assigned a support ticket and get feedback via email.

Hermann-Josef

Edited by Jossie