The unthinkable?: switching from Vuescan to Silverfast

plasticman

6 hours ago, dimm said:

it's negative, not positive. TIFF - the same

The reason is very simple: You selected the wrong output format. The HDR-formats are for processing with SilverFast's HDR software. TheHDR-formats are the data as coming from the scanner without any modification. Therefore they are also very dark (no gamma correction). You need to select "16bit". I recommend to use TIF. The DNG-format is not appropriate here and I have heard of cases where it caused problems.

You may consider scanning in colour, which would be "48bit" and later select the channel with the best resolution, if this is an issue. Resolution varies with channel for some scanners.

Hermann-Josef

Edited by Jossie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dimm said:

Thank you.

Does anybody know how to access their forum? I can't even open main page in order to register. It requires username and password which obviously I don't have.

I would call Lasersoft's support centre in Kiel, Germany. When I  was having a registration issue for a Plustek Film Scanner, where I had bought the quite expensive Silverfast software upgrade, I got a very helpful lady who spoke better English than my rusty German and she was able to sort the problem I had. The upgraded software did not cure the soft images from the Plustek, which I suspect is down to poor film to sensor alignment.

I have gone back to using an SL601 camera on a Leitz BEOON copying stand, with a Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm/f2.8 Componon S enlarging lens (high resolution and very flat field), where any focus issues are down to me. I can scan a 36 exposure film in around 2 minutes to near perfect DNG files. I develop these in C1 V.20 and do the final tweaks in PS CS 2020, including conversion of colour negatives to positive, where I use an automator action to do a batch conversion. It is not perfect but near enough for a minor amount of tweaking to sort. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

12 hours ago, dimm said:

Does anybody know how to access their forum?

The forum is inactive since early 2018, i.e. these are the latest posts published. Now and then, the forum requires a password, like currently. This disappeared in the past after a few days. You can, however, ask for online help from within the SF application. Go to the menu item "help" at upper right. There is the option "ask for online support" or something like this. You can describe your problem and the text together with the log file will be sent to LSI. You will be assigned a support ticket and get feedback via email.

Hermann-Josef

Edited by Jossie
  • Like 2