Breaking News - Leica is entering the Smartphone Market

LUF Admin

The Marketing Gurus' must have had a great pitch..!!  :huh:

What algorithms can Leica offer that are not already known in house or generally available.. It's not rocket science..

Can you imagine a 2nd rate mobile Phone with a Leica Camera built In, now there is a case for duct tape/electrical tape to cover the red dot.. 

Is it going to be a digital or film camera??  :D

Oh well. In whatever form or contribution Leica is involved, I have to say it's absolutely under-whelming. Didn't Kaufmann once say that cell phone(s) isn't 'real' photography? Not that they're saying this is about photography, but to my eyes, any instrument that can be held and takes/records an image is 'photography'. However, having any association with Leica will not make me more inclined to buy it, and again, I look at this with casual indifference and a bit of curiousity as to just what Leica is, or will, or want to continue to evolve into.

I have been on this forum long enough to remember derogatory comments about camera phones when they were still a novelty, and the sarcastic comments that who knows one day there might be a Leica phone camera!!! 

Well here we are. 

The big problem, for Leica, is that it's not an Apple product they're attached to. 

• Like 2

Well it would seem the majority of people here use Apple products. The iPhone is the most used camera in the world. Most 'creatives' use Apple. 

I'd have thought Apple would be a more natural (and ultimately more lucrative) fit than a Hueywhatsit. 

Seems about right for a Leiwhatsit.

[...] The big problem, for Leica, is that it's not an Apple product they're attached to. 

Outside companies are wary of becoming involved with Apple. One fear is that Apple might become a major supplier with too much influence upon their business. For example, BMW turned away Apple's approach for a smart or hybrid car.  Toyota chose not to look at Car Play. I cannot imagine Apple setting such a president as carrying anyone's logo without huge compensation, which might be invasive.

Besides, Apple has some stunning patents for camera hardware, in particular lenses, that is probably beyond Leica's interest or ability.

I have been on this forum long enough to remember derogatory comments about camera phones when they were still a novelty, and the sarcastic comments that who knows one day there might be a Leica phone camera!!! 

Well here we are. 

The big problem, for Leica, is that it's not an Apple product they're attached to. 

It may not be a licensed Apple product, but given the reputation of the Chinese for their corporate spying and their history of intellectual theft, if may be pretty close to an iPhone with a Leica lens.   :ph34r:

Oh well. In whatever form or contribution Leica is involved, I have to say it's absolutely under-whelming. Didn't Kaufmann once say that cell phone(s) isn't 'real' photography? 

Just like everyone knows that the mass public will never buy a personal computer..........

:o

^ Ken Olsen, 1980

The infamous John C. Dvorak quote: “The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a ‘mouse’. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new fangled devices.”

Edited by BrianCinAZ