Okay my first impressions of the "Q" as a everyday camera

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Frigging awesome;

I have had the Q now for 4 days and a lot of that time has been traveling so really not much chance to use the camera. Yesterday was my real first chance to have a play around with it and here are a few things that I have found with it.

I bought my Q from Ffords in Scotland along with a Arte Di Mano case from Leica Miami and the Thumbs up from Korea. With out a doubt the Arte Di Mano case is the "dogs bollocks" doesn't smell like the dogs bollocks but smells unbelievably good :) 

The Thumbs Up has pissed me off. Reason being is that with it installed it makes the Zoom button impossible to find with my thumb so BBF is not an option.........Yes I could leave it off and still be able to use BBF, but I like the thumbs up on the camera so using half press to lock focus is no big deal

The Picture quality is frigging awesome as good as what I can remember of my M and defiantly as good if not better than my Nikon gear.........I'm in two minds as to how it compares to my Leica S but lugging that great big thing around town is a no brainer..........leave the S at home :)

Jetty at Japamala Resort Tioman Island Malaysia

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love the 28mm focal plane, its perfect for my kind of photography (up close and nasty), when I used to shoot with my Leica M my go to lens was the 21mm Lux....I guess I like shooting wide.

Another Jetty picture

The High ISO capabilities just blows away the M and S and I have mine set to Auto ISO 6400 1/125 when I am walking about. The picture below was taken in our hotel room at ISO3200

Auto Focas is sharp and snappy, looking into that bright clear EVF is a dream.

Ive had some issues getting the wifi to work the way I wanted but with some help from this forum and with google I have got that shit figured out :)

Just to have a fantastic walk about camera again has made photography enjoyable again...........its a keeper

• Like 10

Neil,

congrats to your series here. You churned already out a lot of that fine camera. I like those vivid colours and the performance in lowlight with different light sources. I gues the hotel room was with a high ISO and it is amazing what great contrast the sensor can take. The Buddha Statue is an excellent picture with all the atmosphere of an inviting meditation. 

Thanks for sharing your first results. I hope we'll see a lot more of this....

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lets be honest here, the hotel room shot looks horrible at 3200ISO, look at the noise and the banding.

easily fixed in PS just showing what it can do. My files at ISO3200 with my D4s look like shit too out of the camera

Neil,

I share your enthusiasm for the Q and greatly enjoyed your photos. I've been searching many years for a top quality walk around and travel camera. I've owned two Fuji X100's. They were and are fun cameras with excellent ergonomics and fun to use, however the IQ left me wanting. Finally, I found the Q and ALL my basic wants were met. Almost everyday I discover some new feature to enjoy or small quirk to work around. The Thumbs Up shielding the Zoom / BF button as an example. I use back focus 100% on my Canin 5D3 shooting wildlife. On the Q, I find it mostly unnecessary since I'm more thoughtful and shoot a lot of landscapes. Besides, the iPhone app and touch release are perfect for street photography and 5D3 does not have that capability. The Fn timer function having to be set with each photo is slightly annoying. Not much trouble though. I'm enjoying the 28mm lens and its challenges. Not an impediment, but a fun challenge that makes me more connected to photos taken with this great little camera. I enjoy this camera as much or more than any camera I've owned in the past 56 years of my photography experience. I'm hopeful one more SW update will make this camera even better. Good job Leica!

This camera is growing on me.   I am a little surprised Leica didn't design something more like this with interchangeable lenses.  Would be even a hotter camera!  Even if just a closed system, only Q lenses.  But I like it!

Well, that's what many have been saying for months, but if they had made it with interchangeable lenses, many of us would still be on store waiting lists.

Edited by lucerne

Neil,

I share your enthusiasm for the Q and greatly enjoyed your photos. I've been searching many years for a top quality walk around and travel camera. I've owned two Fuji X100's. They were and are fun cameras with excellent ergonomics and fun to use, however the IQ left me wanting. Finally, I found the Q and ALL my basic wants were met. Almost everyday I discover some new feature to enjoy or small quirk to work around. The Thumbs Up shielding the Zoom / BF button as an example. I use back focus 100% on my Canin 5D3 shooting wildlife. On the Q, I find it mostly unnecessary since I'm more thoughtful and shoot a lot of landscapes. Besides, the iPhone app and touch release are perfect for street photography and 5D3 does not have that capability. The Fn timer function having to be set with each photo is slightly annoying. Not much trouble though. I'm enjoying the 28mm lens and its challenges. Not an impediment, but a fun challenge that makes me more connected to photos taken with this great little camera. I enjoy this camera as much or more than any camera I've owned in the past 56 years of my photography experience. I'm hopeful one more SW update will make this camera even better. Good job Leica!

It's a fantastic piece of kit. I would never have bought an M in the first place had this been around.

Never wanted the Sony FF compact when that came out and since then no Sony competitor has convinced me in terms of operational simplicity, colours and IQ.

And as I've said before on other threads when I see the SL & M240 images, it reinforces my decision to go with the Q.

SL, lacklustre IMHO, M240, not bad, but less practical for the way I travel and shoot.

Interestingly, just on output and image quality, only the S and the M9 better it, again, IMHO  :)

I'll be fascinated to see what the next M brings and how they evolve the Q.

Although, unitl then, another firmware update please Leica.  :D

All of these comments on the Q inspire me.  I receive my Leica Q tommorrow and of course cannot wait.  My only concern, probably unfounded, is that it is not weather sealed.  I will be walking the Camino de Santiago trek (Portuguese Way) beginning the end of March and have the task to compare, I use that term with some trepidation, the Nikon D5 and the Q.  I don't relish lugging the D5 but it should be fun.

Took my X-Vario on a little trip to Clifton Cameras in Dursley this afternoon and abandoned it there, coming home with a Q.  There was time in the shop to play about with their demo model and the clarity+ speed of the EVF was impressive, particularly after being used to using an EVF2 with the X-Vario.  For a 28mm lens the macro function is astonishing.  What is not astonishing is the strap - or at least the tiny split-rings that so far I have found impossible to fit on the lugs (never had any problem with the X-Vario's strap (or those of four M's)).  As to removing the thread protector on the end of the lens...  Sherlock Holmes used to describe a particularly difficult problem as being a "three pipe problem".  Well, I would describe the problem of unscrewing the thread-protector as a "three Weetabix problem"  !   :angry:  

Ridiculous state of affairs, my difficulties being acknowledged by the shop when I rang them about it - "ah yes, others have said similar things..."  In the end, by sheer persistence I managed to remove the *&!^&*% thing and fit the lens hood.

No real opportunity to put it to the test today - that will have to wait until the morning.  Have managed to connect the camera to my iPhoneS with the Q app/wi-fi though - looks like the capability to use the remote control could prove very useful in some circumstances.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's lucky you quickly recognised that the poor strap rings weren't up to much.   Mine gave up in India, but I caught the camera. The supplied strap is very narrow at the rings and can unwind.  

Other than that, enjoy the camera.