In praise of DAG camera repair; a miracle has been worked on my Summarit-M 35mmf/2.5

rpavich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, color me extremely satisfied and let me say that Don Goldberg over at DAG camera repair is a miracle worker.

I had dropped my M6 from a short distance (6 or 8") to my kitchen table but it landed on the moving part of the front of the lens and jammed it up so that the focus was very stiff. Usable, but very stiff.

I had sent it to someone else for repair and they said it was cost prohibitive even if the could fix it and so I should just use it as is.

I was prepared to do that but I started wondering "is that the last word on it?" Not sure...so I emailed Don and described what happened. He said to mail it to him and he could fix it.

Well..long story short, I now have it back in my hands and it's as smooth as buttah! He fixed the jammed up focus, CLA'd it, and adjusted the front focusing it was doing.

I'm a happy camper and Don deserves to be publicly praised.

• Like 5

Yep, similar experience with DAG on another issue I posted here. 

Sherry Krauter is similarly talented....hope she isn't the other person you dealt with.

Jeff

She wasn't. I used her to fix and upgrade my M6 once and was delightfully satisfied.

• Like 1

I dropped my 35 cron ASPH onto the concrete of the Streets of San Francisco (A Quinn Martin Production) because of my dumbness.  

Mistake #1 - the lens was in my bag with the hood facing upward.  So when I grasped the lens and lifted it out of the bag, I lifted it by the hood.  And my fingers happened to squeeze the clips to release the hood.   Stupid of me.

Mistake #2 - I should never have been changing lenses on the street in the first place. K.I.S.S.

The aperture ring took the brunt of the impact.  It got gouged, bent and is stuck at f11.  The filter mount got bent, too.  The good news is that the glass is OK and the lens still focuses smoothly and accurately.  

I took a couple of pics of the damage and sent them to DAG.  Don responded within a couple of hours and the estimated repair cost was better than I'd hoped.  It was a genuine relief because that cron is about 20 years old and has the smoothest focus action of any Leica lens I've used.  Writing it off would have been heartbreaking.

Edited by Joshua Lowe

I fell to the ground with D800 nikon and 100 2.8 APO macro lens.  My other hand equally valuable gear so no way to break the fall.   The 100 broke in half .   4 of the 10 screws in the mount are extra long and hold the lens together.  I sheared them off, all 4.

DAG repaired for around $150.   Disassembly to get the stubs out was more than I was Willing to try.  

Works as well as when I got in decades ago.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Wish I’d known he existed. My 50 APO was sent to Leica NJ in early December for an extremely stiff focusing ring. When I inquired in February as to it’s status I was told that lenses can take 20 weeks to return. 20 weeks!

BTW - for the younger set, DAG comes by his genius honestly. He is the son of Norman Goldberg, who was Pop Photo's Technical Director in the 1970s-80s.

Trapped for 7 weeks (and counting - don't ask!) in a location where the sole intellectual resource (beyond this forum ;) ) is a college library that still has BOUND VOLUMES of almost every issue of every magazine ever published in the 20th century, I've wandered through numerous Norm Goldberg columns just recently, among other things.

• Like 1