Is the used market supply of M8's drying up?

enboe

In Nikon terms, a camera with the M8's performance is worth anywhere beteen 23$ and 54$.

Ok then, show me the digital 10 MPix rangefinder cam produced by Nikon.

If Nikon had made a digital S2 (or so), it would definitely be as a used copy much more expensive then just $50...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nikon shooter as well, but you cannot compare consumer DSLRs with an M8.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe some people think it's still a good camera...no matter the price or trade-in value... :huh:

In fact, I think like that and keep mine. It's like new and a great performer, so different from my M 240. I mainly use it for B&W. And I'm sure it will become a collectible. It's the first digital M, after all, the only one with an history. All other Ms are just production.

Edited by epand56
  • Like 3

found a very cheap Leica M240 and I'm really considering selling my M8 :( :( :(
I already own a Monochrom 1.. which gives me enough issue (corrosions, shutter fault, went twice to Wetzlar in 1 year) so the M8 is a great 'backup'...not sure what to do Im going to be missing the M8 SO MUCH but at the same time the idea of update my kit is thrilling!! Decisions decisions....

I already own a Monochrom 1.. which gives me enough issue (corrosions, shutter fault, went twice to Wetzlar in 1 year) so the M8 is a great 'backup'...not sure what to do Im going to be missing the M8 SO MUCH but at the same time the idea of update my kit is thrilling!! Decisions decisions....

Buy 2 M240s and sell M8. :) Edited by lm_user

if money matters, why not consider selling your lowperfoming copy of the MM to refund the M(240)? you are sick of it already and the M8 will do very well as a b&w camera. it is even good for for color shots as well. and dont try to fool yourself: once you get the M240, the MM would become your second camera anyway.

if you would proceed the other way araound (selling the M8 for an M240), you will end up with your copy of the MM wich may be traveling to wetzlar a couple more times until it may be working properly while you are stuck on taking colorpictures with your M(240) without any further backup. this may be working well- just until the day when your M240 -for what reason ever- may be unavailable for shooting and you might need a camera for just a few shots in color. On that day even a working MM wouldnt be much of a help.

and then remember: financially thinking, selling the M8 wont get you that much closer to the M240. but selling the MM would.

so: keep the M8!

• Like 2

I was speaking to a respected Leica dealer about a new M. He was more than willing - actually, eager - to take my M8.2 in on trade. I hadn't even mentioned wanting to trade it. My M8.2 is strictly a user (I bought new in 2008) with a similar "look" as Dirk's and has about 118,000 exposures. He seemed more interested in taking the M8.2 in trade than selling a new camera. LOL. 

• Like 2

I was speaking to a respected Leica dealer about a new M. He was more than willing - actually, eager - to take my M8.2 in on trade....more interested in taking the M8.2 in trade than selling a new camera. LOL. 

There is still a demand.  A simple digital that does the job.

I've just bought an M-P my first foray into FF...at the moment I'm learning.  But my heart is still with the M8.

all best...

• Like 1

I was speaking to a respected Leica dealer about a new M. He was more than willing - actually, eager - to take my M8.2 in on trade. I hadn't even mentioned wanting to trade it. My M8.2 is strictly a user (I bought new in 2008) with a similar "look" as Dirk's and has about 118,000 exposures. He seemed more interested in taking the M8.2 in trade than selling a new camera. LOL. 

What price did the dealer want to pay for your M8.2?

• 1 month later...

I nearly bought a one year guaranteed M9 in August for GBP1750. And ended buying M240!

I regret missing one good opportunity of M8 "like new in box" for GBP 895 or best offer.

I may be looking for one again but what do you think rangefinder focusing with 18 ZM f4, 15 VM mark III,Nocti f1. And 90 APO ASPH.

I am sure wide angles will forgive focusing errors. But what about focusing lenses above 50mm?

Thanks.

Edited by Lord Lucan
  • Like 1

I regularly use my 50/1 Noctilux with my M240 and my M9P before that and I've had no problems nailing focus wide open once I'd got the hang of it.  make sure that your rangefinder is spot on, which you can easily check with LiveView on the M240.  

The important thing I found for nailing focus was that you have to 'find' the technique that works best for you and then practice it.  I find that if I haven't used the Noctilux for a while I get out of practice and it takes some time before my hit rate returns to where it should be.  Either way, imo a correctly calibrated rangefinder system is more accurate than trying to focus with a SLR/dSLR; I know this from the frustration of being unable to regularly nail focus using my 80/1.4 Summilux-R with my Canon 5D MkII.

Pete.

• Like 1

Some official Leica dealers will not touch the M8 as used stock now as it cannot be warrantied. As is well known, some aspects of the camera can no longer be repaired/replaced, the screen being the most famous example.

Nonetheless it's still a great camera and can be found for a song. I agree it's super for B&W.