Any reviews of the 90mm f2.4 Summarit?

sml_photo

• 1 month later...

Renewing my interest and investigation of this lens.

I tried it AND the 90 f2.0 APO at a store and liked them both very much...of course!  The APO is sure tempting, BUT the 90 f2.4 Summarit is so much smaller and lighter, much less money,  and it focuses closer, too. 

The retailer (another I spoke with) felt the APO and the f2.0 aperture are important features that put it ahead of the Summarit.  That may be, but I'm going to weigh that against the advantages of the Summarit.

I still don't see too much "chatter" about the f2.4 Summarit online or elsewhere (few reviews) and I also think the 90 f2.0 APO gets much less press, so to speak, than the other APO lenses.  I realize 90mm is not the most popular focal length for M cameras....I've still gotta decide if I want any 90mm lens in my Leica kit!!

What a monster lens.  How on Earth do you focus it?  It looks like the rangefinder is blocked by the lens. 

It was a military lens, so it was fixed at infinity focus, although rings could be added for shorter preset focusing distances.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Like 1

The retailer (another I spoke with) felt the APO and the f2.0 aperture are important features that put it ahead of the Summarit. 

I do not agree with the retailer.

The 90 APO Summicron chromatic correction is quite poor, and it is only half a stop faster than the Summarit.

The lens will hopefully be replaced in the near future by a new Karbe design, seriously APO, and with FLE for better results at short focusing distances.

I would suggest the Summarit, and use the price difference to buy other interesting lenses.

• Like 2

I do not agree with the retailer.

The 90 APO Summicron chromatic correction is quite poor, and it is only half a stop faster than the Summarit.

The lens will hopefully be replaced in the near future by a new Karbe design, seriously APO, and with FLE for better results at short focusing distances.

I would suggest the Summarit, and use the price difference to buy other interesting lenses.

Thanks, for the direct response and suggestion!  Much appreciated.

I also want to put in my vote for the Macro-Elmar M, first version.  It is an excellent travel lens.  However, you must make sure to also get the reversible hood (12575).  See post #7 of this thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/256551-whats-the-difference-between-the-old-macro-90mm-and-the-new-one/page-1

Guy

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am mildly interested in getting a new 90mm f2.4 Summarit lens...not interested in the Summicron or Summilux.  And not the 2.5.

It's difficult to find many threads in this forum or other websites that have user reviews or feedback on this lens.  Especially when one considers how much info is available on other Leica lenses!!  But I must add that the comments and reviews that I've found have been, for the most part, relatively positive.

I know there are inherent practical problems with the focal length.  That is, back in the film days, I had an M4 with a 90mm tele-Elmarit.  I do recall using it quite a bit, though I also remember it was difficult to focus.

Notwithstanding that, I'm thinking 90mm would go well with my mostly wide angle lenses....just to have in the bag, so to speak.  On the other hand, it's not really "necessary."    ;)

Thanks in advance for any experience or feedback on the lens.

I'm on the road 19 days out of the month and always have my kit with me.  I've found the 35 & 75 perfect for "my" travel requirements.  I chose the 75 Cron over the 90 since it focuses to .7m vice 1.0m for the 90/f2 and I see the 90/f2.4 focuses to .9m.  Not that big a deal but I wanted the close focusing option.  I bought the 75 Cron before the 75&90 f2.4 lenses were released.

• Like 2

I don't think the MTF charts have changed at all. The main difference seems to be the close focus, now .9 from 1m on the 2.5, hood is included, and you get a nice case.

Review here:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/05/11/the-new-leica-90-summarit-f2-4-lens-review-on-the-m-240/

So this not not going to produce different results than the 2.5 That is not a bad thing, as the 90 2.5 is great lens. Erwin Puts says it's better than the legendary 90 Elmarit-M, and he has personally shot with it for years.

21171094012_a65cf67e72_b.jpg

bareback by unoh7,

Above is shot pretty fast, below in landscape mode at f/8 it is blistering:

21349605771_0f7906a058_b.jpg

L1039052 by unoh7, on Flickr

21400815823_8e56f08e87_b.jpg

Starting to die by unoh7, on Flickr

21796658469_10fec88041_b.jpg

Yellow Knoll by unoh7, on Flickr

The only other 90 with a comparable footprint/speed is the M-Hex 90/2.8, which is really nice but very different.

This is a fully modern, searing 90, with great color.

24740118260_f7c74a625f_b.jpg

Black Coat by unoh7, on Flickr

25686887414_35ceabd461.jpg

90/2.4 by unoh7, on Flickr

Great MTF, only the 90AA is better, and that is going to be hard to see :)

Edited by uhoh7

The only other 90 with a comparable footprint/speed is the M-Hex 90/2.8, which is really nice but very different.

This is a fully modern, searing 90, with great color.

Very important point: color rendering.

The M-Hexanon 90/2.8 is a knock-off of the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 (11807), although the lens design is different.

I never used the Hex, so I cannot comment on it. I owned the Elmarit-M, and color rendering was dull and unsatisfactory in many conditions (my copy was amazingly sharp and great for b&w though).

My main 90 lens is now a Summicron-M (11136), a great Mandler lens with awesome color rendering. Found it used in mint-condition for a great price. Otherwise, I would have gone for a used Summarit.

• Like 1

Very important point: color rendering.

The M-Hexanon 90/2.8 is a knock-off of the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 (11807), although the lens design is different.

I never used the Hex, so I cannot comment on it. I owned the Elmarit-M, and color rendering was dull and unsatisfactory in many conditions (my copy was amazingly sharp and great for b&w though).

My main 90 lens is now a Summicron-M (11136), a great Mandler lens with awesome color rendering. Found it used in mint-condition for a great price. Otherwise, I would have gone for a used Summarit.

My M-Hex turned out to be way out of calibration, so I had to return it. But the M-Hex is 25% smaller and lighter than the Summarit, and was really quite a sweet portrait maker WO. The Elmarit_M I also tried, but it was much longer and heavier than the Summarit, to the point I did not want to carry it. It was very sharp, but Bokeh was not better than Summarit. The M-hex did have superior bokeh to both for my taste.

11136 looks fantastic as does the AA :)

• 1 month later...

Long story and update....but I ended up getting a very nice used 90mm APO Summicron AND a used EVF-2.  Two things I never thought I'd get at the beginning of this search process.  After having both for a couple of weeks, I can say that I'm extremely happy with both.  I even have been using the EVF-2 with my other lenses on occasion in bright light situations...a big help and a bonus function for me (I got it to help me focus the 90).

I was amused to read my posts here and the comments...again, this is NOT what I thought I'd get.  I was definitely leaning toward the 90 f2.4.  But, you know how these things go...haha.

I just ended up liking the bokeh and "feel" of the APO.  I'm SURE both are good lenses.  Either would have been a good choice.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Long story and update....but I ended up getting a very nice used 90mm APO Summicron AND a used EVF-2.  Two things I never thought I'd get at the beginning of this search process.  After having both for a couple of weeks, I can say that I'm extremely happy with both.  I even have been using the EVF-2 with my other lenses on occasion in bright light situations...a big help and a bonus function for me (I got it to help me focus the 90).

I was amused to read my posts here and the comments...again, this is NOT what I thought I'd get.  I was definitely leaning toward the 90 f2.4.  But, you know how these things go...haha.

I just ended up liking the bokeh and "feel" of the APO.  I'm SURE both are good lenses.  Either would have been a good choice.

Thanks!

So two years later are you still happy with your decision? I have the new m10 and looking at a 90 with the same thoughts are you. Not sure which direction I should go. There is a 2.8 telmarit M used I can buy or a 2.5 summarit that is still ”new” with 3 year warranty that will start with purchase at a nice discount. Looking at new 2.4 but concerned about focusing issues.

Appreciate hearing your thoughts

Thanks

No focusing issues with mine (M240, CL, A7s mod). Compared to the "thin" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8, the Summarit 90/2.4 is taller (67 vs 62mm), larger (55 vs 52mm) and heavier (346 vs 225g) with E46 instead of E39 filters and a shorter MFD (0.9 vs 1m). It has also less flare and more acutance generally. Modern vs Mandler IQ. I prefer it for landscapes and the thin T-E for portraits. I dislike the screw-in hood of the Summarit which takes too long to mount and unmount IMO but it is a matter of taste obviously. Both great lenses anyway. 

No focusing issues with mine (M240, CL, A7s mod). Compared to the "thin" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8, the Summarit 90/2.4 is taller (67 vs 62mm), larger (55 vs 52mm) and heavier (346 vs 225g) with E46 instead of E39 filters and a shorter MFD (0.9 vs 1m). It has also less flare and more acutance generally. Modern vs Mandler IQ. I prefer it for landscapes and the thin T-E for portraits. I dislike the screw-in hood of the Summarit which takes too long to mount and unmount IMO but it is a matter of taste obviously. Both great lenses anyway. 

So you have both the summarit 2.4 and the thin 90

I found a used thin that I was thinking of getting for portraits. Also thought of a summicron or summarit. Thought making a decision.

Concerned about an old thin 90 and how well it will focus or will it need any adjustment.

[...] Concerned about an old thin 90 and how well it will focus or will it need any adjustment.

I have two copies of it from 1979 (Canada) and 1987 (Germany) and both work fine on my rangefinders (Leica M8.2, M240) and mirrorless cameras (Sony A7s mod, Leica digital CL, Fuji X-E2). Now those are lenses made for film so it is not impossible that other copies need a CLA during which the lens will be calibrated for digital anyway. 

• Like 1

I have two copies of it from 1979 (Canada) and 1987 (Germany) and both work fine on my rangefinders (Leica M8.2, M240) and mirrorless cameras (Sony A7s mod, Leica digital CL, Fuji X-E2). Now those are lenses made for film so it is not impossible that other copies need a CLA during which the lens will be calibrated for digital anyway.

Wonder what a CLA would run on that lens