How about a Q monochrome?

harmen

I understand Monochrom product avoid entrance color filters, thus bring unbeatable contrast capabilities.

To which extent this (certainly real) quality will bring customers I don't know. But Leica does, with the current Monochroms ;-)

Even if the current printers contrast capabilities are much behind nowaday's screens, a wider luminance range is always better before raw (DNG) processing...

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Would a Q monochrome be something to expect or only to dream about?

Mine shoots monochrome already.....maybe you should look in the menu, cant remember where it was though :)

It might cannibalize the MM market.  I enjoy the MM1 but if given the option, might pick a monochrome Q over the MM.  I mainly shoot b&w film and use the MM for low light conditions (or when I've blown my film budget for the month).  The lower cost of a monochrome Q vs. a MM body might be more appealing to some...

• 4 years later...

In the years since asking the question, I’ve become more convinced of the use case - for me that is.  I love using analog Ms and prefer both process and end-result.  However when it comes to night or rain, I always wished for something that could capture the darkness beyond where I push the film.  As my own eyes don’t see much colour once it is all dark, I would not be interested in an RGB sensor.  Why not an M mono then?  Partly to be less hesitant to step out into the rain.  Partly because the EVF can peek into the darkness.  Let’s see how it goes when the machine arrives.

Edited by harmen