For Street photography do you go with AF or zone focusing

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found that while you need to be close with the 28mm lens, if you zone focus, then have the person's face in the right or left third. It will look to them that you are taking a snap of something behind them to the side. When you are that close, it is obvious if you are shooting straight on or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondered how you guys that already have the Q set up your focusing for street photography.

When I was using a M for street photography many moons ago I used to set it to F8 and set the distance to 10ft all the way to infinity and shoot away..............yes I missed a few but I also nailed a few.

With the Q having AF can you just shoot from the hip with AF and hope for the best that the AF focussed on the right subject or would you still need to put the camera to your eye to get the AF where you want it. The second option would be to shoot the Q the same way I did with the M and hope for the best......................So the question is what do you guys do????

My New Q will arrive next Friday, so really looking forward to getting out with it on the streets of KL

Zone focus, no question. AF is almost impossible to target correctly from the hip, although Face Detect AF can do a little better. 

Actually been quite happy with AF.  Face detect mode, shot @ f1.7, auto ISO & shutter.

Hit rate was much higher than my GR, in the ballpark or better than my Sony A7rII 

I like the relative simplicity of the AF modes for a 2016 camera.

As a longtime MF shooter, the array of settings and sub-settings on Ricoh/Sony/etc bewilder me.

Less is more.