M8 and ZM 35mm would be enough for Japan trip?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Arno and David, 

Last June my wife and I went for our anniversary vacation to Guanajuato Mexico, and I took the same gear, both my M8 and A7. I thought I used both pretty much equally, but when I came back and check the files I realized the M8 saw action probably 75-80% of the time, I might expect the same in this case as long as there are enough light. Yes, of course I will share those images (hope to get some nice ones).

Arno, using film would be very cool, I have a Polaroid 250, a Rolleicord IV and a Holga 120 all eating dust on a bookshelf wondering if someday will capture light again. One of those new Fuji Instax would be cool though, I will check them out! 

Thank you and have a great day,

Ricardo

Edited by rivi1969
  • Like 1

so your decision has gone through some testing already. that is good.

using film wouldn't be cool. it IS cool!

but maybe 120 Rollfilm or even Polaroid wouldnt be my first choice for a long distance trip. especially when youre not used to the handling. so better leave these three on the shelf for better times to come.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, we still here (Kyoto) but I wanted to share some pics in advance and hopefully you will like them. At the end I brought the A7 too but hasn't seen any action at all, is just eating dust in my bag. The M8 is more than enough! Cheers, R

26023377805_089a370880_c.jpgMaiko by Ricardo Villagran, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/s/aHsktF3k7a

Edited by rivi1969
  • Like 4

Love that picture Ricardo.  Says it all.  There is so much to be said for a...that is one... camera+ one lens.  Forget the other stuff and enjoy the camera you can work comfortably with....don't weigh yourself down.

more please, cheers  Dave S

Thank you David, I hope you enjoy the album. We still have 3 more days in Tokyo before go back home, I hope to get some interesting pictures there. Cheers!!

• Like 1

some really nice shots you made with the M8. what did you worry about?

Thank you Arno, I don't know... I over think the subject way too much. Now I am in the process of selling my A7 to afford a lightly used 28mm Elmarit, just starting to learn about the different versions there are. 

I have heard good things about the Elmarit iii and iv versions, -I don't think I would need the new Asph- but anyway there is always the Zeiss ZM & Ultron options which are both more accesible... I will keep doing my research.

the ultron-option will do, if you are on a budget and really need a 28 lens. it will do the job great and there will be nothing to complain about.

only, that it is not a leica Lens.

with the older elmarit 28 compared to the asph version i found from looking at samples on the web (flickr mostly) that i preferred the contrasty sharpness of the asph over the older ones. but then again that is a minor difference.

i think the main question will be: ultron or Leica? and when the decision comes to leica, only the newest version would do for me. (but i still didnt buy one as i am still saving on it)

Well, I have a couple of options; 1 would be save some money and migrate from M8 to M9 keeping my Zeiss 35mm; the other is simply to keep my M8 and get a nice 28mm for it.

I will open a new post asking about people experience with the different 28's and see what we can find.

ricardo,

i love these  pix.

and as i mentioned before, the m8 with an 35 is a great combination ( i just used it for my usa trip too ;-) )

for my m8 i use a 35 summicron/version 4 , 50 1.4 canon, 28 elmarit e 49.

imo these old stuff works perfect ,it delivers just the look i love.

lambda.

Depends on your shooting style and where in Japan you'll be traveling. I primarily focus on urban lifestyle and urban landscape (very much off the beaten path) and I've found that M8/35mm is too tight in the narrow back streets. Based on that I would bring a the small 21mm f4 if you have it in your arsenal. It doesn't weigh much nor take up any space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by StrawberryJam

Depends on purpose of trip.   Keep it simple for tourist trip.  For photography trip a little more.  Never more than you can keep with you comfortably.

In the 50`s a teacher, Mary Jane Kennedy, showed her slides of Japan.  They were wonderful and she had nothing complicated.

She was one of those memorable teachers I had and today there is a school named after her in Westchester, Il.

I have seen slide shows of peoples trips  to Europe and they used a single camera and lens.   We are spoiled.  Not to pick on you because I have more than I can carry.

Actually....which filter did you use with your Zeiss lens?

Hello Jonnyboy,

I am glad you like the pictures. I have the IR-cut filter but I left it at home, so all you saw was the Zeiss ZM as-is... I don't like the way it look the lens with filter and hood attached (too long) and I didn't find any issues for not using the filter.

And I only shoot .dng not jps, so the colors are because of that and a little work in Lightroom :)

Cheers, Ricardo

Edited by rivi1969

Ricardo....wow I'm even more impressed now! Great job on those color correction!

M8 is been my first Leica and I always shot in BW. I kinda got inspired now to shoot some color!

Shame I never got my head around Lightroom....I'm more of a Photoshop user :mellow:

Edited by jonnyboy
  • Like 1