The Leica Q — A six month field test

cmod

Guest jvansmit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's so refreshing to read a review by a photographer who travels, writes and takes great photos !

I've yet to meet a Q user who doesn't use black tape: the microphone holes, the diopter wheel, the red logo, and in my case, the all-too-easy to turn exposure comp dial as well.

My Q has been on a repair holiday in Germany since mid December so I've recently been using the new Fuji X70. Sadly, it's a dog by comparison to the Q.

:)

Edited by jvansmit
  • Like 1

To the many many many of you who asked about my camera strap — I found it! But ... they're sold out. Still maybe you can send them an email and bug them to make a few more.

It's produced by a company in Japan called Ulysses and is called the CLASSICO DRITTO: 

http://www.ulysses-photo.com/product/28

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by cmod

Looks like the straps will be available again from next week — http://www.ulysses-photo.com/phone/product/28

Here's the response I just got from Ulysses:

"As you told us, we have started to get many contacts by your readers asking Classico Dritto strap.

We are planning to sell the strap in some colours from next week. The reason we have been stopped selling the strap is a new ring was under development. The previous rings don't fit to a few cameras with tiny eyelet holes, as Fujifilm X-Pro2.

We visited your website and are very happy to see your well matured Dritto.

Thank you!"

Thank you so much for a absolutely great review!

I dont have the Q, and in particular your insight on MF was valuable information not so easy found elsewhere.

One small issue, the number of references to iPhone / Apple feelt as a peble in my shoe. Its annoying, and for me the iPhone is an exact oposite of a quality photo tool.

Could anyone please share information on dust on sensor? My M is easy to celan. My X1 has a lot of dust/spots, and cannot be cleaned without sending to Leica.

• Like 1

Great review. Still thinking to replace my 240 for a Q. My 246 and a Q could be a perfect couple.

I am haunted by a sentence in Thorsten Overgaard's review of the Leica Q; it fits with your "perfect couple" concept"

"The Leica M is for creating photographs, the Leica Q is for capturing events and stuff."

That's a load of bull.. it's got more romantic M-background than reality. Nothing stopping you from creating with Q. The big differences between M and Q are:

1) auto va manual focus (though Q has nice mf option as well)

2) with M can change lenses, so can add little creative freedom

3) RF has it's own view method, since it's no TTL and also has room outside framelines

But besides lens options, the other 2 are more about way of working and don't effect outcome if you know how to use your Q.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...