The Leica Q — A six month field test

cmod

Great review. Weather sealing the Q is a no brainer. Could it have been a deliberate marketing decision to not do it?

The last fw update was disappointing. I was going for more fixes including the way the exposure lock works.

I wonder about the deliberate marketing decision. I don't want to feel that cynical though! 

At least the FW update dealt with high-iso noise. Fingers crossed we can remap that video button sooner than later. 

C

Great article! I would also love to see some of the FW upgrades you mention. Lets hope for the best. :)

By the way, love your wordpress(?) theme. Is it a custom made one?

Thanks matlep — it's actually an ancient expression engine install that I've almost completely gutted and rebuilt ...  :lol:

• Like 1

A seriously good review. Thanks for creating and sharing.

I agree with all of it - especially the cropping. I am now seriously questioning whether I need my Sony kit with three lenses (28, 35 and 55) when I can get away with one camera. It certainly makes you think.

LouisB

Edited by biglouis
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with all of it - especially the cropping. I am now seriously questioning whether I need my Sony kit with three lenses (28, 35 and 55) when I can get away with one camera. It certainly makes you think.

Same effect as cropping in PP....if one can do a bit of visualization when shooting.....the full image remains in DNG.  The capability resides within your Sony 28....and your mind's eye.

Jeff

• Like 1

I now shoot with the Q maxed at 10,000 iso and the shutter low-capped at 1/120th of a second. You almost never need 10,000 iso. Technically, the Q maxes out at an absurd 50,000 iso. I've never used it. I find the camera rarely breaches 6,400, and I do a lot of lowlight shooting. But when it needs the extra bump, it’s nice to have. The iso 6,400 Q images are wholly usable. And images taken at 10,000 — if needed — work.

Great review! I don't know how he sets the camera to 10,000 iso. I thought they all jump from 6400 to 12500.

Edited by Peyton Hoge

This a good review.  There's a tendency to obsess over new models as soon as they come out,  comparing them with other makes and getting all excited. It takes  a while to learn how  a camera really responds.  I have been shooting for a few months and was thinking of posting how much I like the Q.   One capability is closeup -- I am doing a book about an architect, shot mostly with a Monochrom,  but the Q was invaluable when working closeup with details,  and the b/w files are impressive.  I have just started to print seriously  and am happy with the results. I favour shooting at optimum apertures for sharpness and depth of field.  My default proof is 14x21,  and it is clear to me that I will be able to make seamless 36-inch prints with no difficulty.  Although it doesn't worry me,  the white paint is coming off the macro engraving.  Big Deal

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I now shoot with the Q maxed at 10,000 iso and the shutter low-capped at 1/120th of a second. You almost never need 10,000so Technically, the Q maxes out at an absurd 50,000 iso. I've never used it. I find the camera rarely breaches 6,400, and I do a lot of lowlight shooting. But when it needs the extra bump, it’s nice to have. The iso 6,400 Q images are wholly usable. And images taken at 10,000 — if needed — work.

Great review! I don't know how he sets the camera to 10,000 iso. I thought they all jump from 6400 to 12500.

Edited by jaapv
size

cmod: you mention you deliberately underexpose by "few stops". Surely you mean by stop -> steps, thus ending at -0.6EV compensation?

Underexpose by two let alone few stops would be a huge thing.

Just wanted to clarify that. Truly enjoyed reading about your experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by jlindstrom
  • Like 1

I now shoot with the Q maxed at 10,000 iso and the shutter low-capped at 1/120th of a second. You almost never need 10,000 iso. Technically, the Q maxes out at an absurd 50,000 iso. I've never used it. I find the camera rarely breaches 6,400, and I do a lot of lowlight shooting. But when it needs the extra bump, it’s nice to have. The iso 6,400 Q images are wholly usable. And images taken at 10,000 — if needed — work.

Ha! You know it — you're right. I'd never seen it breach 10k and somewhere along the line assumed that's what I capped it at. 12500 is indeed the correct number.

C

Although it is an academic point, Auto ISO can select intermediate speeds such ISO 500. So I suppose it could select 10,000 if within the set parameters.

Great review. Weather sealing the Q is a no brainer. Could it have been a deliberate marketing decision to not do it?

The last fw update was disappointing. I was going for more fixes including the way the exposure lock works.

While weather sealing may be a no brainer, but it most likely would have increased the cost.  As far as I know the Sony RX!RII is not weather sealed either.  

Although it is an academic point, Auto ISO can select intermediate speeds such ISO 500. So I suppose it could select 10,000 if within the set parameters.

Yes — this is what I was observing, the auto-ISO itself never hopping above 10k. 

C

• Like 1