The Leica Q — A six month field test

cmod

Outstanding review; probably the best I've read, beautifully laid out and lavishly illustrated. I think I enjoyed it so much because for the most part your experience mirrors my own and you present it so eloquently. I also don't believe that I've stopped the camera down more than a couple of times -- I always want to shoot it wide open. It's why I bought it in the first place, and I have yet to be disappointed by the lens. And I also want to rebind the movie button; in my case to auto focus method. Or at least disable it altogether.

My experience with the on switch layout is a little different from yours. I had to spend my first two months with the camera shooting one-handed. My left arm was in a sling. I got pretty good at the tactile inferences needed to work the on/off switch reliably and the shutter speed dial with my index finger, so it doesn't really trouble me. But to make it work, I needed the match thumb and the grip. Now I can't live without them.

Thanks for this; a job really well done.

• Like 3

Craig, I really enjoyed your article. Clearly your travel experiences stimulate your emotions which are reflected in your pictures.

The power switch is badly designed unfortunately. With much experience of Leica cameras, none other has invoked so many false selections of unwanted sequential shooting s that provided on the Q. Unfortunately no firmware upgrade can cure this design fault.

Likewise the Video button. Why is it so proud of the top plate? Reassigning its function would be welcomed by me.

Little mention of exposure determination, other than with reference to ISO performance. Do you set exposure manually, or rely on some level of automation? I wonder whether you used spot metering for this picture Grilling katsuo over blazing straw, Shikoku ?

I am a great advocate of the Leica handgrip. I note your choice the Thumbs UP. Either is a great help.

A great deal of credit is due to the Leica designer for getting the right balance of features and controls in a pedigree camera.

Thank you for inviting us on your tour.

Craig, I forgot to welcome you to the forum!

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

I chuckled at that line, too.   As for the S/C switch mode... I set the Continuous Shooting to medium so when I make the switch error I only get a couple of pics instead of a dozen.  Medium is a happy compromise for those few times I want to take multiple shots.

• Like 2

Nice report!

I share your concern about the off/on-S/on-C button, and you expressed it greatly when comparing to the menu location on win vs mac :-) -it obliges us to some care when switching, which could definitely be devoted to the picture itself...

Thanks! That's a lovely way to frame it: "It obliges us to some care when switching, which could definitely be devoted to the picture itself." 

Precisely. Even a little bit of unnecessary cognitive load at those decisive moments can cause for misfire. 

C

Outstanding review; probably the best I've read, beautifully laid out and lavishly illustrated. I think I enjoyed it so much because for the most part your experience mirrors my own and you present it so eloquently. I also don't believe that I've stopped the camera down more than a couple of times -- I always want to shoot it wide open. It's why I bought it in the first place, and I have yet to be disappointed by the lens. And I also want to rebind the movie button; in my case to auto focus method. Or at least disable it altogether.

Aw, thanks dadohead. Indeed — this thing demands to be shot wide open. So much fun, and such gorgeous results. 

I have a feeling we may get the ability to remap the movie button in a firmware update — it's just too obvious and useful (and quite simple!) a change to not make. 

C

Great article. I read somewhere about setting the switch on continuous and leaving it there. The auto power off will power down at whatever time you've selected. I chose 1 min. It's almost instantaneous power on by just touching the shutter half way. I rarely move the on off switch now. Am I missing something? Anything wrong with this other than a little energy to power the camera until it times out and switches off?

Craig, I really enjoyed your article. Clearly your travel experiences stimulate your emotions which are reflected in your pictures.

The power switch is badly designed unfortunately. With much experience of Leica cameras, none other has invoked so many false selections of unwanted sequential shooting s that provided on the Q. Unfortunately no firmware upgrade can cure this design fault.

Likewise the Video button. Why is it so proud of the top plate? Reassigning its function would be welcomed by me.

Little mention of exposure determination, other than with reference to ISO performance. Do you set exposure manually, or rely on some level of automation? I wonder whether you used spot metering for this picture Grilling katsuo over blazing straw, Shikoku ?

I am a great advocate of the Leica handgrip. I note your choice the Thumbs UP. Either is a great help.

A great deal of credit is due to the Leica designer for getting the right balance of features and controls in a pedigree camera.

Thank you for inviting us on your tour.

Craig, I forgot to welcome you to the forum!

Thanks wda — have been lurking and sucking up information here since the Q was announced. It's a lovely resource. Happy to contribute however little I can. 

As for exposure — 99% of the time I shoot in aperture priority, and dial up and down using exposure compensation (its location at the thumb is just so convenient). So for the katsuo piece, I'm sure I locked exposure around the fire and then refocused on the men's faces. 

C

Edited by cmod
  • Like 1

I chuckled at that line, too.   As for the S/C switch mode... I set the Continuous Shooting to medium so when I make the switch error I only get a couple of pics instead of a dozen.  Medium is a happy compromise for those few times I want to take multiple shots.

I've done the same thing :) 

C

Great article. I read somewhere about setting the switch on continuous and leaving it there. The auto power off will power down at whatever time you've selected. I chose 1 min. It's almost instantaneous power on by just touching the shutter half way. I rarely move the on off switch now. Am I missing something? Anything wrong with this other than a little energy to power the camera until it times out and switches off?

Thanks infiniumguy — Actually, you're right! I think the best way to use the camera is to just leave the thing on. But I worry about (since it's slung against the body) the OVF being continually activated and therefore the battery running down. Unfounded concern? 

C

Nice review and images. I too feel that full weather sealing would have been the icing on the cake and the video and delete button could be reassignable.  Personally though I like the On/Off switch just as it is as I like to quickly be able to switch from S to C mode and have never found it a problem. Lastly a tilting screen would have been really useful. Anyway Thank you for a good read

• Like 1

I am sure the record button could be reassigned to another function from a hardware/firmware point of view. I think the greatest barrier to this would be that it might not be perceived as an elegant solution. If the button was labelled Rec/Fn or something similar implying that it had selectable functionality, this would be ok but it has a red centre to it which is universally associated with recording. Leica are such perfectionists (even if they don't always achieve it at the first attempt they strive for it) they would not opt for such a solution.

• Like 1