Sign in to follow this  
Longboarder9

Japan: a heartbreaking Ema

Advertisement (gone after registration)

100 t-max, M3, 50mm Zeiss

People who have travelled to, or seen images of Shinto shrines in Japan will know about Ema...small wooden plaques on which you can write a wish to the kami/gods. It's common during the New Year's holiday to write your wish for the year.  The first picture below is context for those who have not seen Ema.  

I've seen thousands of these, and wishes range from the cure for a loved-one's cancer, to a plea that Liverpool will win the Premier League.  The other day, I randomly selected and turned over one Ema. As I slowly read, (shooting film seems to slow down everything I do),  I thought it a bit ironic. "If his tests include English spelling, he will surely need to study more." Says I, the parent of a 6 yr old.  .....but then I got to the last sentence.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rawlit
      wanted to share a shot taken @0.95 this weekend with TTartisan 50mm 0.95 and my M9-P 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By StephenH
      A few years ago, I bought a used (obviously) M3 from B&H in nyc.  Armed with a little bit (ie dangerous) amount of knowledge, i knew enough to check the alignment and accuracy of the rangefinder--it was and is perfect--and the general look and feel of the camera, which was clean and smooth operating.  It is a single stroke model with a high (above 1m) S/N.   I treated myself to a brand new Zeiss 50mm f 2.0 Planar and ran a couple of rolls through it to check the shutter accuracy and focusing.  I was satisfied that the camera was up to snuff and I still have and enjoy the camera.  But I don't think it is what it appears to be.  While it has a single stroke mechanism with the telltale longer advance lever, it has the "buddha ear" strap lugs, the older style film reminder and the decimal shutter speed dial--(1/10th, 1/100th).  However, the rangefinder patch has the depth of field "notches" which I understand came later.  And what may be a clue--the bottom plate appears to be new but seems to be OEM.  Has anyone encountered a camera with this combination of features?  I am guessing that this was the work of a skilled repairman who cobbled the camera together from spare parts, complete with a salvaged top plate with a high s/n and bottom plate.  Fortunately for me, the camera works beautifully and I am happy with the results.  Thoughts?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Ouroboros
      If anyone has experience of using the above lenses and can offer some comparison opinions of using both at full aperture, I'd be interested in your thoughts. 
      TIA.
    • By Julius Yls
      Apologize to post this late, I was member since 2012 and till recently found my password and login 😅
      I wanted to share one of my photograph that won 2nd place the National geographic Travel of he Year 2017 in people category. I shot using Leica ME with 50mm Lux, at Rijks Museum in Amsterdam way back in 2015. I shot twice and the first one obviousely out of focus due to the manual setting, etc.. but the second shot was perfect.
      I love the visitors expression and lighting that really help this image stand out. I named this shot "Interesting Moment" 😃
      Love my ME and the 50mm Lux combination, I never change lens since.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy