Leica books

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I started collecting, my very first reference books were the three famous "Leica Illustrated Guides" - de facto the first Leica collectors guides - published by James L. (Jim) Lager. These were stitched volumes under colour illustrated covers, the first one, published in 1975, had 64 pages. My first copy was so worn that I bought a second that I kept untouched and that is dedicated by the author, who had become a friend. The second volume is 256 pages strong and dates 1978 (also dedicated by Jim), and the third (96 pages...and only signed) 1979. All three are very abundantly illustrated with "Lager quality" photos.

Lager also published "Leica, an illustrated history" in three volumes. My two first are full red cloth bound, with gold lettering, under colour illustrated jackets. The third volume I have is the de luxe, boxed edition, full simili bound with colour illustrated cover, and is enhanced by an author's friendly dedication. Volume I is devoted to cameras, dates 1993 and contains 318 pages. Volume II is on lenses (1994, 318 pages), and Volume III on accessories (1998, 352 pages). Each volume contains thousands - yes : thousands - of illustrations.

A seventh famous reference book - although maybe lesser known -  by Lager, is its 1980 "Leica Literature" : a stitched book with colour illustrated cover and 512 pages, reproducing tens of Leitz leaflets and catalogues and offering a main code-words index.

All these seven works are illustrated on my first photo hereunder.

My second "chronological" author is Paul-Henry van Hasbroeck, of Belgian origin but living in London. He first published two stitched volumes under colour illustrated covers : "Leica. Rare and unusual screw mount cameras and accessories" (1979, 96 pages), and companion volume 2 "Leica. Rare and unusual M series cameras and accessories" (1978, 58 pages). But his main work came in 1983 : "Leica. A history illustrating every model and accessory". This full cloth bound volume under colour illustrated jacket counts 328 pages and 1,000 to 2,000 illustrations. It was published on the occasion of the Leica Historical Society of America's 15th anniversary. My copy is dedicated by the author. A revised and updated edition came out ten years later, in 1993, is expanded to 350 pages and is also very friendly dedicated to me.

Second photo shows the four van Hasbroeck volumes.

If my Leica library was about 350 titles strong, three volumes are worth a special mention for the quality of both their content and edition. They were published by the German "Leica Historica" association on the occasion of its 10th and 25th anniversaries, in the form of full red cloth bound volumes with gold lettering. The first "Beitrage zur Geschichte der Leica" (Contribution to the history of the Leica) came out in 1985 with 144 pages, as a limited 350-copies edition (I have a copy with nominative certificate nº111). A second, 250-copies expanded edition (184 pages) dates 1989 (my nominative certificate is nº079). In 2000, for its 25th anniversary, Leica Historica published a new limited number (700, my nominative certificate nº329) edition of its "Beitrage". This time, it offers 272 pages. The third photo shows the three volumes.

Let us now come to four titles I could not miss mentioning, and that are illustrated on the fourth image :

- "Die 10 Varianten der klassischen Leica I A mit Elmar 50 mm" (The 10 variants of the classical Leica I A with Elmar 50 mm), by Angela and Henning von Einem. It is DIN A4, simply stitched with illustrated cover under plastic sheet, 90 pages. It is an extraordinarily detailed work, with several hundreds of colour illustrations. I have the nº123 copy of the 3d, revised edition (with authors' dedication), dated 2008. If German had been one of my four fluent languages, I should certainly have asked the permission to translate this work in English. Alas!

- "A new look at the old 35", 1980, by Thurman Naylor is an 18-pages, abundantly illustrated leaflet, extremely illuminating on the "35 mm context and history", including Leica, of course.

- "Aus Leica Druckschriften 1925-1943", by Friedrich Rüttinger (1979). A big (310x265 mm) red plastic holder with 35 sheets. A complete list of all Leitz publications in German from 1925 to 1943, for Photo, Projection and Microphotography, and a table of contents. Very numerous illustrations in the reproduced documents, and four nice colour photos of brochure covers (I have the nº030, signed by the author, of the 300-copies limited edition).

- "Leica Compendium. Company, Cameras, Lenses", by Erwin Puts, 2011. A plastified cardboard bound, illustrated cover volume of 610 pages. This is the second, augmented edition of this "Leica-sum", with all lenses' optical graphics.

And finally, what I personally see as the Leica "absolute" work : the two editions of Dennis Laney's "Leica Collectors Guide". The first edition of these full cloth bound volumes with colour illustrated jackets, that include all Leitz-Leica stuff (photo, enlargers, projectors, binoculars), is dated 1992 (392 pages). I keep the second edition of 2005 (624 pages) as my basic and last reference source.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

It's strange that it's not been nominated the most important, at least for me and historically, the one who started it all: dr. Paul Wolff.

Ok, it's more a photographer than a technician, but his books come directly from those times.

And, what about Rogliatti's? Are his books good?

Edited by lleo

There is also the 30 Jahre HISTORICA book on war cameras, and the other HISTORICA book discussed here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/235927-leica-books/

The two books recently published by Lars Netopil (Rare Leica and ​Prototyp Leica) are also excellent sources of Leica history, and beautiful illustrations of prototypes and rare Leicas.

http://www.lars-netopil.com/de/index.html

I have this week acquired the two volumes by Filippo Giunta (Leica Screw Mount Cameras: A Systematic Approach and Leica M Mount Cameras: A Systematic Approach).  I must say they are quite impressive.  If you have collect or have access to the auction catalogs he cites, they are a useful way to learn about variations, prices, etc.

I like Rogliatti's books, though they are neither lavish nor thorough enough to compete with Lager, Laney etc.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the the Leica Pocket Guide (Blue Book) would come first for new collectors. The Laney book would be the best overall guide, if a collector just wanted one book. All of the others have their attractions. Lager has the best example photos and van Hasbroeck makes an attempt to define the variants as cameras and lenses developed. By far the most detailed book I have seen is the von Einem guide to the I Model A. There is a place for all of the other books mentioned. The net question for collectors should, however, be whether all of the possible books have now been written and what scope exists for further research and publication. 

William

I have all the books illustrated by Pierre + 50 in more approximatively + the VIDOM and LFI from the 1st issue and genuine instructions for use.

IMHO the 3 volume from J Lager are a great achievment Vol. I Cameras Vol. II Lenses 

Pierre in your illustration the Vol III Accessories is missing  ;)

I have all the books illustrated by Pierre + 50 in more approximatively + the VIDOM and LFI from the 1st issue and genuine instructions for use.

IMHO the 3 volume from J Lager are a great achievment Vol. I Cameras Vol. II Lenses 

Pierre in your illustration the Vol III Accessories is missing  ;)

No, my dear Jean-Claude, it is not missing! It is the third one in the row, and if you read my comment, you'll understand : the cover is different, because it is the special "de luxe" edition under full simili cover and boxed. By the way, you should have the full collection of Viewfinder, the LHSA's review. Really worth getting!

For me the the Leica Pocket Guide (Blue Book) would come first for new collectors. The Laney book would be the best overall guide, if a collector just wanted one book. All of the others have their attractions. Lager has the best example photos and van Hasbroeck makes an attempt to define the variants as cameras and lenses developed. By far the most detailed book I have seen is the von Einem guide to the I Model A. There is a place for all of the other books mentioned. The net question for collectors should, however, be whether all of the possible books have now been written and what scope exists for further research and publication. 

William

Happy that you share my enthusiasm for the work of the von Einem twin: it is a model, and should be done for each Leica type.

There is also the 30 Jahre HISTORICA book on war cameras, and the other HISTORICA book discussed here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/235927-leica-books/

The two books recently published by Lars Netopil (Rare Leica and ​Prototyp Leica) are also excellent sources of Leica history, and beautiful illustrations of prototypes and rare Leicas.

http://www.lars-netopil.com/de/index.html

I have this week acquired the two volumes by Filippo Giunta (Leica Screw Mount Cameras: A Systematic Approach and Leica M Mount Cameras: A Systematic Approach).  I must say they are quite impressive.  If you have collect or have access to the auction catalogs he cites, they are a useful way to learn about variations, prices, etc.

I like Rogliatti's books, though they are neither lavish nor thorough enough to compete with Lager, Laney etc.

I generally agree, M9reno, but do not forget I am a "former" collector, and - except for Laney, my basic reference for putting my photo collection in order - I do not buy Leica books anymore. Further, I must confess I have been disappointed by Rogliatti works in the past.

It's strange that it's not been nominated the most important, at least for me and historically, the one who started it all: dr. Paul Wolff.

Ok, it's more a photographer than a technician, but his books come directly from those times.

And, what about Rogliatti's? Are his books good?

Of course I had quite a lot of Paul Wolff''s books in my Leica library, but I do not consider same as "Leica Historica" references. As for Rogliatti, I just wrote that I have always been disappointed by his works.

No, my dear Jean-Claude, it is not missing! It is the third one in the row, and if you read my comment, you'll understand : the cover is different, because it is the special "de luxe" edition under full simili cover and boxed. By the way, you should have the full collection of Viewfinder, the LHSA's review. Really worth getting!

Haha, battle betweens titans

Pecole, why have you been disappointed by Rogliatti's books? From what I saw, they're almost all, or all, celebrating the various anniversaries.

Are they more storytelling than technicals?

...and it is probably why I was disappointed : I did probably expect too much, and since I got the books in hands after I ceased collecting...But anyhow, it is a strictly personal "feeling", and I respect much Gianni Rogliatti's work.

• Like 1

"No, my dear Jean-Claude, it is not missing! It is the third one in the row, and if you read my comment, you'll understand : the cover is different, because it is the special "de luxe" edition under full simili cover and boxed. By the way, you should have the full collection of Viewfinder, the LHSA's review. Really worth getting!"

Pierre I was using a smartphone and certainly I do not identified the third volume as it is different of mine.

and yes it is a masterpiece

Good day everybody

Here is the main part of my Leica books (and some non Leica others).

I also have a collection of Japanese magazines on Leica.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Good day everybody

Here is the main part of my Leica books (and some non Leica others).

I also have a collection of Japanese magazines on Leica.

Have a look to pages 369-373 of your Laney-2 for information on leather cases of all kinds, and on pages 601-609 for a list of all codewords.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Laney book would be the best overall guide, if a collector just wanted one book.

William

The second edition covers later models and accessories. The first edition has many typos; Richard Hubbard (see p. viii of the 2nd. Edition) and I spent a whole chemistry practical class searching these out instead of supervising the students. Rather appropriate since Dennis Laney began his career as a chemist.