Leica SL in the snow and rain (at overgaard.dk)

Overgaard

Thorsten,

Nice article. Snow can be a tricky subject matter.

I was curious why you are using such an old version of Lightroom, though. The Recovery and Fill options were last used in LR3, then replaced in LR4 with highlight and shadow, back in 2012. The new algorithms are much improved and the updated exposure adjustments are more nuanced, natural, and effective. Moreover, how are you still able to get new camera DNG support in LR3?

Save your time, David.....we've been through this before with Thorsten!  He likes the old, preferring to make minimal adjustments for processing batches, and barely uses the new capabilities of later LR iterations (or even those of LR 3).

Jeff

Thorsten,

Nice article. Snow can be a tricky subject matter.

I was curious why you are using such an old version of Lightroom, though. The Recovery and Fill options were last used in LR3, then replaced in LR4 with highlight and shadow, back in 2012. The new algorithms are much improved and the updated exposure adjustments are more nuanced, natural, and effective. Moreover, how are you still able to get new camera DNG support in LR3?

It's LR6 with Process 2010.

It's a choice. I compare 2010 and 2012 process with each camera and go with the Process version that works the best. I find the 2010 works the best. The shadow details you can beat out of 2010 is much more than 2012, but the overall look of 2010 works better for me. 

It's LR6 with Process 2010.

It's a choice. I compare 2010 and 2012 process with each camera and go with the Process version that works the best. I find the 2010 works the best. The shadow details you can beat out of 2010 is much more than 2012, but the overall look of 2010 works better for me. 

Fair enough. You have to work with what works best for you! And very few would argue with your results. 

• Like 1

Another simple matter,

Talking about Lightroom. After buying A leica 109 for my Wife and with my M's I always used Apple photo's and with my new Apple Macbook the latest photo's from Apple. I downloaded LR after buying my new SL. I still find Apple simple and faster than LR. I don't see a big difference on A 27" screen.

Am I a fool or not?

Gerjan van Asch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another simple matter,

Talking about Lightroom. After buying A leica 109 for my Wife and with my M's I always used Apple photo's and with my new Apple Macbook the latest photo's from Apple. I downloaded LR after buying my new SL. I still find Apple simple and faster than LR. I don't see a big difference on A 27" screen.

Am I a fool or not?

Gerjan van Asch

Whatever works for you....nobody will know or care about how you got there.  For me, it's about the print, which involves myriad variables, not a screen shot.....again, whatever suits.

Jeff