Who has bought the Leica Q day bag (19504) and any comments ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted an ultra thin bag for the Q which can take a few other things. The 19504 achieves this by having the lens external in a protected protusion.

Just wondered about day to day usage and the resiliance of the clip system.

Also if the Leica Q with the protector fits in the slot ?

Anyone bought this and likes or not ...

I can get one cheaper then the retail thank goodness!

Otherwise it will be the leather bowery, Kalahari L-14, or something else.

Quite like black .....

Thanks, I hear people report that a Leica M-E and a X100T fits, so it can be used for other cameras of similar size.

Good to hear you can fit the hood, although I don't normally use it.

One thing to bear in mind is that it can't stand upright due ot the curved bottom, so needs to be on its back.

I agree about the cost, but i am looking to get it discounted. the ONA Berlin II is nice and also the new ONA Bowery for Leica.

Its difficult to find nice leather bags which are a bit subtle. dothebag looks quite nice as well. decisions decisions ...

You can fit the camera in with its hood - I have tried it in the store. I would suggest trying it yourself before making your final decision.

Colonel.

Somehow I doubt this. Look at the shape in the pictorial description and the bulge for the lens. That's how the camera is designed to be carried in the bag but the hood/shade and lenscap is another 80mm. The body is fixed in its slot.   I suspect confusion here between lens hood/shade and lens cap.  Presumably you want both to remain fitted while its in the case?  Possibly, the Q can be fitted into the case in another direction and without the lens seated into the bulge. (Protrusion).   Sort of defeats the case designers objective who has put form before function!  

would it not be quicker to just call your Leica store and ask them a clear question.  More reliable answer.  I

I wouldn't be surprised to find these cases discounted.  If they have a design fault, they aren't much good at any price, and now that you say it can't stand up upright I'm even more unimpressed. 

Oh! And let us know where it can be bought cheaper!  

Edited by lucerne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently ffordes in the uk has it discounted to £250 but it was waiting for some better discounts. £250 is around the same price as the Bowery but the Leica bag actually had more spaces to put other things.

I also don't think the hood can fit whilst on, but I don't use one most of the time so it's not an issue.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

You'll be surprised how spacious the Bowery is. The main compartment can fit two Q's with room to spare.

Thanks

The one thing I would really like in the Bowery would be a pouch at the side. I find this very useful for carrying letters, a book or maybe an iPad.

I know the Bowery has an external one but having an internal one, particularly in rainy UK is useful. The Kaama does but struggling to find a small leather bag with one.

Gariz is making nice bags as well and monochrom, although difficult to find these days

The think tank style I don't like, where only one face is leather ....

Edited by colonel

I have the Q bag and the Q with hood attached can fit into where it was designed to go. The cover is able to latch closed as well. The hood in this case does push the leather cover farther out creating roughly a 1- 2 cm gap between the body of the bag and the leather flap cover. Still functional tho if you want a minimalist style bag.

Edited by Flu
  • Like 1

I have the Q bag and the Q with hood attached can fit into where it was designed to go. The cover is able to latch closed as well. The hood in this case does push the leather cover farther out creating roughly a 1- 2 cm gap between the body of the bag and the leather flap cover. Still functional tho if you want a minimalist style bag.

Thanks so much

Interesting

Colonel.

Somehow I doubt this. Look at the shape in the pictorial description and the bulge for the lens. That's how the camera is designed to be carried in the bag but the hood/shade and lenscap is another 80mm. The body is fixed in its slot. I suspect confusion here between lens hood/shade and lens cap. Presumably you want both to remain fitted while its in the case? Possibly, the Q can be fitted into the case in another direction and without the lens seated into the bulge. (Protrusion). Sort of defeats the case designers objective who has put form before function!

would it not be quicker to just call your Leica store and ask them a clear question. More reliable answer. I

I wouldn't be surprised to find these cases discounted. If they have a design fault, they aren't much good at any price, and now that you say it can't stand up upright I'm even more unimpressed.

Oh! And let us know where it can be bought cheaper!

Lucerne,

It is incredible that you would make the assumption that people are confusing a lens cap with a hood!

Secondly, you can't just make an assumption that one's response is less than 'reliable'.

As I noted in my text I tried it out in the store when I went to pick up my Q from Leica Cty (London). I asked the same question as the OP and was told you could. The sales person then provided a demonstration.

I advised the OP to try it out to ensure he/she would be happy with the bit of 'give' on the leather of the lens pocket.

• Like 1

Lucerne,

It is incredible that you would make the assumption that people are confusing a lens cap with a hood!

Secondly, you can't just make an assumption that one's response is less than 'reliable'.

As I noted in my text I tried it out in the store when I went to pick up my Q from Leica Cty (London). I asked the same question as the OP and was told you could. The sales person then provided a demonstration.

I advised the OP to try it out to ensure he/she would be happy with the bit of 'give' on the leather of the lens pocket.

I wouldn't describe my suggestion as incredible. People (not all) do confuse the name of the components as there is ambiguity in many descriptions.   Actually, the problem arises due to the presence of the lens shade because the lens cap can fit the lens with or without the shade in place.    Of course you knew that but on other forum posts when the camera was released, that led to misunderstandings.  It was a comment straight to the point, because if the camera doesn't fit the bag with its full set of lens fittings then it doesn't fit the bag........ unless - as in the this case - one is prepared to accept a bit of a tight fit.  In the long term, that tight fit might lead to lens problems, but I'm only suggesting!    The bag is expensive, so it has to be "right" .It isn't clear from the Leica marketing or publicity material, if the bag has been designed to accept the whole assembled combination.  However,  I'm glad you are not confused or in any doubt, and I wish you good shooting.