S-ADAPTER L on T

peterv

That's what I'm hoping for, but as far as I understand, the T needed a firmware update to work with SL lenses and I'd like to know if compatibility with the upcoming adapter was, or will be included in a future update? Or perhaps Leica decided not to bother?

Hi, I'm considering a T and I was wondering if anyone knows if the announced S-ADAPTER L will work on the T?

That would be interesting for me, as I could use my S lenses on the T.

Thanks, Peter

Yeah you're really going to need a lot of in-software correction to fix all those optical defects in those cheap S lenses when you use them on a high resolution camera like the T. I'm just sure the vignetting is going to be awful. ;-)

Seriously though, I would find it fairly likely that the camera-lens communication protocol is going to be the same. More than likely the signaling protocol between the body and the lens was probably first invented for the S and then reused with modification for the T and then SL. So I think that shouldn't be much of a problem. What I would worry about are more subtle things like the maximum current that the body's battery will be able to deliver. Being able to slew the larger focus elements quickly may demand more current than the T's battery can deliver. I'm not saying that is the case but those are the kinds of problems that I would expect.

I would first talk to Leica and then before I bought it, I would drop into a Leica store and try it out before I bought it. It would be kind of fun. Of course there would also be a lot of purpose shifting in the lenses. For example, your fairly standard 70mm suddenly will become a pretty reachy telephoto.

• Like 1

The last firmware update already brought support for SL lenses, so you should be fine

from https://uk.leica-camera.com/Company/Press-Centre/Press-Releases/2015/Press-Release-LEICA-T-new-Firmware-update-1.4-and-expansion-of-the-lens-portfolio-bring-greater-speed-and-even-more-versatility

Firmware update 1.4 also expands the portfolio of lenses usable on the Leica T. As the camera shares the same Leica L bayonet mount with the new Leica SL system camera, updating the firmware makes it possible to use the SL lenses on the Leica T. The Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. will be available from 16 November 2015 and further SL-System lenses, such as the Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8–4 and the Leica Summilux-SL 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH. will follow in 2016.

Thanks everyone, I was hoping there was already a definitive answer on this, that I had missed, while searching through old threads.

It's primarily the firmware I'm thinking about, but the hardware is another thing to keep in mind. I'll hold an S lens in the palm of my left hand, but cannot rule out rather heavy strain on the T bayonet, too.

I guess I'll just mail our friends in Wetzlar when the adapter becomes available.

• 5 months later...

I understood that there was to be a T adapter for the R lenses as well. Any information on this?

Are you referring at this?

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Lenses/R-ADAPTER-L

Wouldn't it require any software update for lens profiles as it did for the S lenses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aren't these R lenses used as manual lenses? I've seen folks stack the T-M adapter with an M-R adapter to use R lenses on the T with impressive results.

A software update might only be useful for EXIF data if the lenses are coded. This is a wild guess however.

Leica R lenses were all made prior to digital, and yes they are all manual lenses. They work beautifully on the T with the adapters. They are all huge, however, on the T. I have kept the 100 Apo Macro R lens from my R shooting days and is pretty cool. Also for something different put a Summicron 35 R on it with great results. But have to admit prefer using the Summicron M on the T. More compact. But if you can find a used R lens it can sometimes be a significant savings, and gives a different look. The adapters are coded but there is no information sent to the camera to tell it which R lens is on it. Same goes for using R on the M.

The adapters are coded but there is no information sent to the camera to tell it which R lens is on it. Same goes for using R on the M.

True; I am using Novoflex for Nikon lenses and it doesn't have any electronic connection to the camera to transfer any information, and I believe it is the same with any adapter.