125 years Rodinal

veraikon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

to remember by:

Rodinal was patented 125 years ago in January 27, 1891 by Dr. Momme Andresen (Agfa, Berlin).

It was the first product sold by Agfa and is the oldest* photographic product still available (2016).

* and in my household the "oldest" used product (The brown lemonade with "C" was patented in 1892/96 ;) )

• Like 1

​I just switched over to Rodinal last year, when my darkroom reverted back to a guest bath for a year or so, and my processing dropped down so a one-shot, long shelf life looked like a better idea. It is very convenient, used in a 150 ml single roll tank, and I get very nice results.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It's good to standardise on a developer, and Rodinal is as good a s choice as any. Rather too much is made for it's abilities in extreme situations, stand development for example where there are much, much better alternatives, but in the middle ground it takes some beating. I have a new bottle ready to go, but still have enough for fifteen or twenty rolls of 35mm in a twenty five year old bottle, unused for many years after being pushed to the back of the cupboard and forgotten. It still works although the last few rolls through it will probably be back to back tests with the new bottle just to see if there is a difference.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It still works although the last few rolls through it will probably be back to back tests with the new bottle just to see if there is a difference.

There is some difference, however pretty small but you can measure it out with a densitometer.

I am using R09/Rodinal for medium- and slow- speed in 35mm films only. The advantage is a sharp negative. The disadvantage is that it emphasizes grain and with most films you will loose 1/3F stop in speed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to standardise on a developer, and Rodinal is as good a s choice as any. Rather too much is made for it's abilities in extreme situations, stand development for example where there are much, much better alternatives, but in the middle ground it takes some beating. I have a new bottle ready to go, but still have enough for fifteen or twenty rolls of 35mm in a twenty five year old bottle, unused for many years after being pushed to the back of the cupboard and forgotten. It still works although the last few rolls through it will probably be back to back tests with the new bottle just to see if there is a difference.

Just did that.  Decanted a plastic bottle into a really well sealing Agfa Toner bottle in 1998.  Did a few rolls a year for a test.  At year ten contrast started to get a tiny bit low. 

• Like 1

Fresh Rodinal:

1128093468_ab38a82da4_z.jpg

Rodinal 4 years old:

1127247527_a41d46cc19_z.jpg

Both 1+25, film Rollei Retro 100/APX-100 (Agfa Leverkusen). The Rodinal product was coming at that time from the Agfa plant in Vaihingen Enz (A&O). According my info Rodinal / R09 is now coming from Tetenal. They are even selling it under their own Tetenal label as Paranol-S.

• Like 1