So our competitor already have a recall?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, more buttons, more menu choices, more headaches.

Strange, I must have special editions as I count the same number of buttons, wheels on mine. :o  :o

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Strange, I must have special editions as I count the same number of buttons, wheels on mine. :o  :o

Perhaps I am seeing things but I see one more dial in the front (terrible location to change focus modes btw)

sony_rx1r_ii_back.jpg?itok=Tk9XvjAs

Now on to the rear.

One more lever for EVF pop-up (again terrible ergonomically)

One more dial in the rear (should have replaced that useless PASM dial on the top with a proper shutter dial)

And the infamous placement of the video button.

My RX1R always accidentally starts recording so I put gaffer tape over it.

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 1

It is the only reason they are called point and shoot. There are plenty of point and shoots with a viewfinder, for instance the Leica C.

Apparently my use of the term is not the norm.   OK.   My distinction is the availability (and ease of use) of non-automatic modes.   A camera that doesn't have a manual mode or has one that is very hard to use is a point and shoot.

Apparently my use of the term is not the norm.   OK.   My distinction is the availability (and ease of use) of non-automatic modes.   A camera that doesn't have a manual mode or has one that is very hard to use is a point and shoot.

Well, leave your Q on all auto - and it will become an instant very expensive point and shoot :)

I have both the RX1r and the Q and I have to say that the Q is much more friendly to manual operation than the RX1 series, which can be quite frustrating, even with the EVF. The RX1 series is part of Sony's "Cybershot" series, which is their point-and-shoot lineup, so despite it being full frame, Sony is obviously aiming it at point-and-shoot users or it would have been part of the "Alpha" lineup. The RX1 is definitely happiest shooting jpg's in full auto, particularly since there's some significant features that are disabled in RAW mode. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must admit I'm a little confused by the term point and shoot.

So is a Nikon D4 in auto mode a very big and expensive point and shoot as well? Or if it's limited to a fixed lens camera, what about this?

FujifilmFinePixS6500FDDigitalCameraRevie

Point and shoot, in my opinion a camera with a "fixed non interchangeable lens". It offers simplicity of shooting, so the user don't have to worry of setting up the camera (changing lenses included) - just point and shoot.  Q can be a simple camera - also SLR cameras but Q don't have the ability to change the lens so it fell into point and shoot camera. If you browse BH PHOTO - you will find Leica Q and their Sony Rx1 RII counterpart under point and shoot cameras.

Here is what wikipedia defines the term btw:

"A point-and-shoot camera, also called a compact camera, is a still camera designed primarily for simple operation. Most use focus free lenses or autofocus for focusing, automatic systems for setting the exposure options, and have flash units built in.

Point-and-shoots are by far the best selling type of separate camera, as distinct from camera phones. They are popular with people who do not consider themselves photographers but want easy-to-use cameras for snapshots of vacations, parties, reunions and other events. Point-and-shoot camera sales declined after about 2010 as smartphones overtook them in such uses.

Many superzoom compact cameras have optical zoom up to 30x and weigh less than 300 grams, much less than bridge cameras and DSLRs. All use 1/2.3" sensors. They prioritize intelligent Auto, but some high end P&S cameras have PSAM mode dial, Raw image format, and hotshoe. None have lens threads."

I believe that's what 99% of the photographic population would consider a point and shoot. No where in there does it mention the camera's ability to change lenses. But it does mention that a point and shoot camera is also known as a "compact camera", is lightweight (under 300 grams), have built in flash units, have zoom lenses, use 1/2.3" sensors, and no filter threads. None of those descriptions are applicable to the Q.

Edited by Mr.Q

Q is light weight nonetheless, and someone probably should inform and correct , for example BHPHOTO that Q is not under point and shoot category.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1160027-REG/leica_19000_q_typ_116_digital.html

We can argue all day long whether Q fell under what category, everyone has their point of view.

Edited by m9photo

it's a Sony. I'm surprised this cannot be switched off in the menu somewhere  :ph34r:  :D  :p

The worst part about owning a Sony camera, is that they rarely release firmware updates to address owner issues/desires like Fuji and Leica do. They just wait to sell you a new version every two years.

• 3 weeks later...

The M is a rubbish camera.  You point, shoot and everything is out of focus. I want my money back.

Absolutely agree.  Every time I hand it to someone to take our picture it turns out blurry.  Hopefully, this will be fixed in a FW update.  But, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Rick

p.s.  That's one of the reasons we have the RX1.

The worst part about owning a Sony camera, is that they rarely release firmware updates to address owner issues/desires like Fuji and Leica do. They just wait to sell you a new version every two years.

I received three firmware updates for my A7R in about 1.5 years of usage. Only when its predecessor the A7R II was released, Sony did not provide the latest firmware update with uncompressed RAW to owners of the older A7 camera series - unfortunately.

The M is a rubbish camera.  You point, shoot and everything is out of focus. I want my money back.

Then it ain't the camera. You point, focus and then shoot! Or zone focus, before handing the camera to someone new to it, zone focus for them....... then they can take excellent pictures. To call the M a rubbish camera, reflects more on you than the camera. If it is was so poor why is it still in production after all these years?

Edited by Guest