M8 and landscapes

GarethC

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tight crop from another frame

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, the 24 Oly shift does have a tad of CA. ALso, there is some fairly significant variation between copies. Mike and I test over a dozen of these lenses and out of that group, 4 were stellar, 4 were decent and 4 were dogs -- So Sean, be careful of making general statements when you publish your test as not all Oly 24's are created equal. (FWIW< the lens Guy now has was the best copy of all we tested, though three others were close.)

Cheers,

Jack

Guy,

Somewhere I have some slides of that church taken years ago. It is certainly unique and not your normal Catholic church. I have some from the entrance looking through the church, I believe they were taken with my M6, I will need to search the slide library. Thanks for reminding me about that particular trip.

Guest guy_mancuso
Yes, the 24 Oly shift does have a tad of CA. ALso, there is some fairly significant variation between copies. Mike and I test over a dozen of these lenses and out of that group, 4 were stellar, 4 were decent and 4 were dogs -- So Sean, be careful of making general statements when you publish your test as not all Oly 24's are created equal. (FWIW< the lens Guy now has was the best copy of all we tested, though three others were close.)

Cheers,

Jack

Reason i have hung on to this copy for dear life. It really is a useful lens for many types of shooting. If your out there looking they run about 2200 or so. My conversion to a R mount was 450 dollars at SK Grimes not very cheap but i think this is the best there is in this focal length . Jack and Mike tested pretty much everyones out there and the Oly was the leader

Remind me, again, why you can't use the Canon 24mm TS on the M8 with a suitable adapter? The backfocus issue should be plus, if anything. I will grant you that their would be a vignetting issue if the M8 was a full frame camera but it isn't. Since the Canon TS is only 1K new, that leaves a lot of money on the table for a hellaciously expensive custom adapter.

Rex

Remind me, again, why you can't use the Canon 24mm TS on the M8 with a suitable adapter? The backfocus issue should be plus, if anything. I will grant you that their would be a vignetting issue if the M8 was a full frame camera but it isn't. Since the Canon TS is only 1K new, that leaves a lot of money on the table for a hellaciously expensive custom adapter.

Rex

The Canon EF (EOS mount) lens has an electronic aperture, so you'd only ever be able to shoot it wide open with an adapter. However, Canon did make a few 24 TS lenses in the mechanical FD (pre-EOS) mount. IF -- and that's a big if -- you can find one of those, it could be adapted to an M with an appropriate length tube.

Cheers,

Jack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Canon EF (EOS mount) lens has an electronic aperture, so you'd only ever be able to shoot it wide open with an adapter. However, Canon did make a few 24 TS lenses in the mechanical FD (pre-EOS) mount. IF -- and that's a big if -- you can find one of those, it could be adapted to an M with an appropriate length tube.

Cheers,

Jack

I thought that EOS lenses could be used in a manual mode when not coupled. Shooting wide open all the time would be a major problem, but manual mode wouldn't especially on a tilt-shift.

Rex

Guest guy_mancuso

Rex another lens to look at of coure is the Leica R 28mm shift lens and also Nikons 28mm shift lens. Look on e-bay for them they both can take a Nikon to M adapter or for the Leica R to M . Novoflex amkes these adpters and i believe cameraquest also does

.......another lens to look at............... Nikons 28mm shift lens....

A word of caution with the Nikon. My friend borrowed a Nikon 28 to make some images stitched together using the lens' shifting range and they exhibited a worrisome 'moustache ' distortion which was uncorrectable. If you go that route, do some research to see whether the distortion is true for all generations of that lens.

It's not cheap, but the Sneider 28 shift is a well regarded lens.

..................Chris

The Nikon i think is the silver knob one you want. i will ask Jack he knows for sure

Actually, on the Nikon 28 and 35 PC lenses, the newer versions with black knobs seem to be a little more consistently better than the older ones with silver knobs. But like anything else (outside Leica), there is simply a lot of sample to sample variation so it's always best to test before using it on a big project.

Cheers, Jack

With a tripod the M8 will produce images that can easily be enlarged to 16x20. Compare the images I took in Yosemite, all with a tripod, many in the rain, all around 20 degrees:

http://web.mac.com/robert.rose/iWeb/Site/Yosemite.html

The L images are Leica, the DSC images are with a D2x. When you consider the weight difference, Leica M8 is the clear winner for hiking, but it is impossible to frame accurately.

Regards,

Bob Rose

Cheers,

Jack

Hi Jack,

That caution applies to reviews of virtually all lenses. I often remind readers that there can be variations among different examples of the same lens. With the copy I'm testing, the CA is quite visible at F/3.5, slightly visible at F/5.6 and essentially gone at F/8.

My review of the 24 TS-E, 24 Zuiko Shift and 35 Zuiko shift should be done next week.

Cheers,

Sean