Camera Bag

drewk

So many options. I don't think utilitarian is a factor because designers are waiting to take your cash for something that is designed as utilitarian but priced as a luxury item.  Definitely avoid!  .  It really depends on what - in addition  to the camera - do you need to carry and whether this has to double as protective bag for long distance travel.  Are you only carrying the q plus a spare card and battery, or water,  sandwiches and protective clothing.    Certainly,  in choosing a simple bag that gives good protection and is waterproofed you could look at Lowepro top loaders.   If you want to avoid giving away the fact that you are carrying photographic gear, just choose a small shoulder bag.   I use a Case Logic, but in reality, once I get to my shooting location, the bag just gets in the way. I hate carrying an empty bag once I'm  shooting.

Use the forum search facility to see how others interpret the type of bag that suits.   It's been discussed since the Q was released. Some bought the bag before their camera even arrived.  I wonder if -on reflection - they made the  right decision .  You need to experiment in your local store.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Domke F-5 XB  ... very unassuming but just the job. Billingham Hadley Small as per Big T above also very good, but a little larger than really necessary because with the Q we're travelling light, without extra lenses etc. aren't we  :)

i-WxxQfJh-L.jpg

Edit ... it's simple, its quality and it utilitarian! (Just looked up the exact meaning of 'Utilitarian')  .... Yup, the Domke  :)

Edited by MickyW
  • Like 6

I picked up a Lowepro Apex 100 AW. Fits the Q with Thumbs up and grip installed, though not much else except a battery. The Lowepro Adventura 100 is the same, but the Apex has a rain cover and nicer strap. A good under the radar bag for day trips.

My other bag is the Biilingham Hadley digital, but the Hadley small or Domke F-5 XB are also a good bags that hold a bit more. I've had them all and can vouch they are all great and worthy of consideration.

I'm using a Leica small system case which is designed for Leica compact camera. The case is well built with quality material.

Highly recommended!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

LOWEPRO FORMAT 120

• Like 1

I have two, one for winter and one for summer.

For summer is a Billingham model, very practical, there is even a place for tablet provided.

In winter I use a leather bag, model has the same facilities as Billingham's.

LOWEPRO FORMAT 120

Less than £20 new, in the UK.

There's no such thing as a perfect bag. Billingham's are well made, but all but one are much too big for the Q and they are unnecessarily heavy. In fact, the Leica billingham with the camera inside would be double the weight of your camera.    Their reputation was earned in the era of DSLR and Bridge cameras and extra lenses. 

Many photographers have mountains of little-used bags which aren't suitable for their needs. It suits the manufacturers to keep creating vastly overpriced new models that have no advantages over past models.  I've learned my lesson. My criteria are:  Minimum weight, rain proofing or all weather cover, no external insecure pockets, no brand advertising, no huge flap that interferes with quick access, and no jangling metal fittings.  

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 2

It will also fit in a Lowepro Streamline 100  ....... I got 2 for 12 GBP from amazon .......

• Like 1

If I'm just carrying the Q on it's own, I like this bag from A&A. The pocket on the front nicely fits my notepad and pen.

• Like 1

Domke F-5 XB  ... very unassuming but just the job. Billingham Hadley Small as per Big T above also very good, but a little larger than really necessary because with the Q we're travelling light, without extra lenses etc. aren't we  :)

i-WxxQfJh-L.jpg

Edit ... it's simple, its quality and it utilitarian! (Just looked up the exact meaning of 'Utilitarian')  .... Yup, the Domke  :)

Great bag. I use the black one.

got this ONA BOWERY for decent price brand new and after month of travel with that bag i have mixed feelings.

the overal athtetic look is very nice but what i dont like is the strap buckles wich could be easily opened by any good thief. plus, the side flaps allows dust or rain to come very easily.

maybe i should save some more money and go for  Oberwerth

• Like 1

It depends if you're lookig for something "fashionable" or something sturdy and useful.

I've always used Lowepro stuff and I consider their products the best on the market. I carried both 35mm and medium format in waist bags and backpack.

Once I went on a mountain for a little naturalistic photographs, the raincoat sved me from a shower.

I could stand up on the backpack without even having the outfit inside get touched.

got this ONA BOWERY for decent price brand new and after month of travel with that bag i have mixed feelings.

the overal athtetic look is very nice but what i dont like is the strap buckles wich could be easily opened by any good thief. plus, the side flaps allows dust or rain to come very easily.

maybe i should save some more money and go for  Oberwerth

I use that bag as well. I understand your concerns but here is what I think.

I put the Q in the middle and accesories on both sides.(using 2 dividers) This will balance the bag better and keep the camera away from any water/dust intrusion.

As for the buckles, honestly if a good thief wants your bag nothing will prevent them from taking your bag. The most common way of stealing bags is to grab and cut (with a blade) the strap in one motion. At least he leather strap on the Bowery is hard to cut.

• Like 1

Guest Q-PhQtQgraphy

I had the Billingham Hadley Small which looks fabulous. But though the Q istn't too heavy, I'm getting problems with my neck when I have to carry around the bag for hours. So I bought this:

http://z-kin.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/02/Zkin-Kampe-Canvas-3.jpg

Szkin Kampe Backpack. Looks great as well, is water resistant and there's more than enough space for the Camera, filters, a bottle on each side and so on.. 

I have the Hadley Small and the Hadley Pro. The Hadley Small is perfect for me as it will take a 2nd body and lens (Sony A7rII and lox 50) but more importantly it was the only bag of it's size that I found would also take the iPad Air II in it's back slot. I also Have this bag

http://www.billingham.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/119/category/4/

if I only want to carry the Q plus wallet and spare battery