Newbie with questions.

Mevl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone.

I do not own Leica camera. Still carrying 6kg+ in my backpack full of Nikon DX.

so Im about to jump for something that is simply 600g FX and one lens. 

Leica Q fits that description, as I like travel photography, nature and street photo. I'm planing trip to Cuba this year and I go with 600g camera only.  

Will Q also survive normal weather conditions? (light rain, fog, cold, warm, humidity) or are they fragile?

Apparently Q is not weather sealed? My Nikon D90 also not and went through hell, Rain, fog, Humidity in warm climate and it survived. 

does Leica cameras go ever on sale? Or can dealer provide discount?

Where do you shop? 

-> do you use protective case? 

thank you guys for your patience.

Olá.

I have the same problem, I have a D800 and a lot of primes, totalizing around 17kg if I take them all...and my 61 y.o. , my little tiny figure and poor back dont allow me to carry all this as before.
I bought the Q in september and am fully satisfied for everydays oportunities, it is a FX and that was primordial to me. 
What I do is that I associate the nikon with one prime lens and the Q, for example next month I am going to Dubai, I take the Q and the D800 coupled with a 15mm zeiss wide.
Today I go to visit a village and I know there might be birds, I take the Q and the D800 coupled with a nikkor 300mm + TC.
The Q is solid (well, with me everything has to be...) and I put it on my travel photo bag in leather, just protected with a purse my mum made.
Hope this will help a bit,
Wellcome,
Isabel
  • Like 2

I have sold all my Nikon, I am in love with the Leïca-Q. I have also the Sony A6000, an APS-C light.Yesterday I was in Avignon for a horse feast with my two camera, Sony with 70-200 objectif.

Good results and no regret for heavy materiel.

A grip in convenient for Q. I have a special pouch protecting Q in my bag ordinary bag, and a Hama bag when I need the two cameras.

• Like 1

The Q is a fantastic travel camera. I've been known to lug well over 25 pounds of Canon camera and up to a 600 mm lens all for shooting wildlife. I still do that, but prefer road trips where I can manage the weight better. The Q is so darn nice and compact with excellent IQ. The 28mm requires getting used to and having only that focal length is sometimes limiting, but you adjust. I love using it every time I pick it up. But the Thumbs Up. 5 star improvement for holding it. I covered the top with gaffers tape to conceal the microphone holes against rain. The Leica iPhone remote control app is a dream for stealth street photography. I love the camera and I've been doing photography for around 55 years.

• Like 3

thank you guys for your input. 

and where did you buy your cameras? online or in store?

I tried to get discount, but maximum I've got is 3%. TVA is a killer 19% is enormous amount of money.

Do you think Leica Q will hold the value? (sony dropped in price in about 6 weeks after release)

----------------

do you use cap on your Leica? How do you protect the lens? 

kind of like http://www.angelo-pelle.com/half-case-leica--q.html  half cases. Do you have one of those? Are they practical?

Pity I have to wait a week or so. Dealer in my are do not have Q in stock ;(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought mine direct to a store that has online sales, but for Portugal it is not easy to buy Leica, delivery times can be very long. 

And VAT is...23%... a little bit less if I buy in Spain, but I would have had to wait too long.

I use a leather case were I can store both my D800 and the Q.

The cap...they have a problem, the inside doesn't last long, I sent mine to the store and it will be replaced, but till they dont improve the inside of it I guess it will be the same again. You can read this topic on the subject: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249522-q-lens-cap-problem/

Meanwhile I use a protection lens and a suede soft bag to put it on the carry bag.

Also waiting for a H. Benz strap

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You're lucky to get the Q in a week. Most people waited months. Demand is greater than supply so do not expect big discounts. I think the Q will hold it's value for at least 2 years, but any digital device will depreciate as the technology becomes obscolete.

I don't use a lens cap. I carry mine in a bag, and I feel the hood along with a UV filter provides enough protection.

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 1

I don't use a lens cap. I carry mine in a bag, and I feel the hood along with a UV filter provides enough protection.

Indeed it does...but not when you live on a beach and you like to stroll along in windy winter days... Anyhow better have it on a bag and just take it out when needed.

For street photography no problem, the UV filter is enough.

Anyhow I think it is wise to have a compressed air duster and clean it regularly.

Lucena

I like that leather winter bag. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming it wasn't designed as a camera bag? Can it be found in Europe on eBay?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lucerne

Mevl,

I have my Q always in a wrapcloth, use the lenshood and the cap which fits on the hood very well. The wrapped camera will go in a Manfrotto small bag which can take more utensils like lenscloth, torch and batteries and cards. A slight rain will do no harm. but in heavy rain I recommend a plastic rain cover or bag. In my future travels I will take the Q and if I cannot do without my Canon DLSR I mount a telelens there either prime or zoom. These 2 cameras will be carried on a double sunsniper strap. The advantage of not carrying any weight round your neck but on your sholder makes you feel free from a heavy load.