Lost dioptre....again

Jennifer

It is very frustrating.  I lost two and they are expensive for something that just vanishes. I was in the habit of tightening every time I picked up the camera after the first one went missing, but two days for forgetfulness lost my second one.  Fortunately I can see ok, so I just accept scratched glasses now. 

As my ancient eyes aren't what they used to be I use a +1.0 VF dioptre on both my M's. Unfortunately and very irritatingly, I've found that these have a habit of unscrewing themselves and falling off. As a result I have now lost two. At £110 a pop this is an expensive business. It has been suggested by a non photographer that I should use a low strength Loctite on the screw thread but I'm loathed to do so without more informed advice. Any thoughts?

Jennifer,

Loathed to do so?  You don't have to feel hate or feel disgusted  to put a small bit of Loctite on the threads.  It really isn't that big of a deal.  Take a toothpick and dab it into a small dollop of Loctite and then place it on a spot on the threads.  I've done it literally thousands of times.  Don't you worry yourself about a small spot of Loctite.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Hello Jennifer,

A lot of good advice above.

Please remember that when you go to put loctite/nail polish on the screw threads you only need a small drop at the top (last engaging) part of the screw thread. If a part of 1 or 2 threads partially have some loctite/nail polish on them that will be more than sufficient.

1 advantage of nail polish is that it is more visible than loctite & it holds/releases just as well.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 2 years later...

Well at least I'm not the only plonker that has lost a diopter..,.seems like it's quit common.

I've decided to go the super glue rought.......can't see the point of piddling around with tape or toothpaste

Neil

Well at least I'm not the only plonker that has lost a diopter..,.seems like it's quit common.

I've decided to go the super glue rought.......can't see the point of piddling around with tape or toothpaste

Neil

Super glue can 'fog' as it dries, especially in humid climates, and while it might be cleaned off the outside of the camera you've got to be aware a white fog especially on the inside of the viewfinder could be irritating to say the least. Blue thread locking compound is the answer, and don't let anybody try to sell you the red variety.