Leica X-U: Outdoor And Underwater Camera

LUF Admin

10 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

After researching a shallow underwater solution for my Leica X1 will likely buy a EWA Marine 3D-L underwater housing. 

Be aware that Ewa plastic bag housings are usually buoyant and offer little access to controls. I neither like nor will I recommend them. I would suggest that a digital camera with its purpose built, transparent plastic underwater housing would be far better option. A used camera and housing would be a far more effective option as a 'buy to use and resell' possibility. The problem with cameras which are supposedly 'waterproof' by design is the test parameters and their seals, as I have said before. Seals need to be kept scrupulously clean and replaced if there is any wear in them - not so easy. The transparent plastic purpose built housings offer full control access and use 'O' rings which are easy to maintain and damage and water ingress are easier to spot.

If you want any more info pm me.

Edited by pgk

I have been using the X-U for more than a year, my friend bought two of them for a charter boat they operate in the Med and around the Red Sea. No problems with the cameras. They are watertight and work well for what they were designed. 

23 minutes ago, ynp said:

I have been using the X-U for more than a year, my friend bought two of them for a charter boat they operate in the Med and around the Red Sea. No problems with the cameras. They are watertight and work well for what they were designed. 

Leica XU reviews are generally positive … but the s/h example I purchased was definitely not watertight … and furthermore it had an 'odd fragrance' about it which is maybe indicative of dampness under the rubber armour. 

dunk 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgk said:

Be aware that Ewa plastic bag housings are usually buoyant and offer little access to controls. I neither like nor will I recommend them. I would suggest that a digital camera with its purpose built, transparent plastic underwater housing would be far better option. A used camera and housing would be a far more effective option as a 'buy to use and resell' possibility. The problem with cameras which are supposedly 'waterproof' by design is the test parameters and their seals, as I have said before. Seals need to be kept scrupulously clean and replaced if there is any wear in them - not so easy. The transparent plastic purpose built housings offer full control access and use 'O' rings which are easy to maintain and damage and water ingress are easier to spot.

If you want any more info pm me.

Thank you Paul; your advice ref EWA noted. The reason I am /was considering EWA is that their products would enable use of a Leica APS-C camera and thus images would be OK for Leica Society 'Circles' and TLS Exhibition submissions … and Leica Forum use.  Main application would be for use in nature reserve shallow ponds of which there are many in former brick pits in and around Peterborough …  where amphibians (newts, frogs, toads) breed … and where it's possible to hold a half-submerged / submerged camera to record e.g. toads mating. Imaging can be achieved  by laying / crouching at the pond edge … there can be hundreds of toads squabbling for mates in any one pond. No plans for wading … too dangerous as shallow disused brick pit ponds also have deep holes. The Leica X1 has minimal controls and if 'waterproofed' can likely be used with an Elpro c/u lens at a prefocused subject distance. 

Panasonic offer two waterproof cameras but neither has a Leica lens and both have small sensors … and small sensors = limited dynamic range compared to APS-C 

Regards

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo

• 3 weeks later...