Leica X-U: Outdoor And Underwater Camera

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica introduces the new Leica X-U (Type 113), its first dedicated outdoor camera. Technically it's based on the current Leica X (type 113) but it's also shock-resistant, winterised, dust-sealed, shatter proof, water resistant up to 15 metres.

» More info and images in the Leica Blog

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A photo of this was posted late last year on one of the forums and it was met with a collective shrug, if not slightly weary disbelief. And that was without anyone knowing the price (which I personally rather assumed would be about £750).

€3250! :o  :wacko:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless Leica knows something unbeknown to me, this latest X-variant must be aimed at a very small niche sector of the market. How soon before this launch price sags?

I was hoping that any new X-line camera would have a new generation EVF in-built like the Q. Anything less is a non-starter for me.

• Like 1

This product totally baffles me, for its purposed under-water use that is.

I have quite some experience (see underquotes Zenfoliosite) with snorkelling and swimming with a camera.

One of the things I learned over the years is  that a flashlight or a video light should be as far

away from the lens a possible. The nearer to the lens, the more its light is scatterd by the opmnipresent

partivel of dust, sand of plankton in the water, so creating unusable pictures with little spots.

Or would the price suggest that the buyers only go down in their own pools, or in one of the very few pristine

waters of the world, like Rajah Ampat or in the Pacific?

My friend dives with Light & Motion lights. I snorkel with a Panasonic.

With the flash off, of course, give us a break!

Sander

( sanderva.zenfolio.com )

Edited by vanhulsenbeek
  • Like 1

Leica is confusing me more with each camera release.

This one, the XU, would be fine if it cost a few hundred £/$/€, but this is really making me wonder whether there's been a bust up that has left Leica on non-speaking terms with reality.

• Like 1

The concept is sound. Leica finally producing a more ruggedized outdoor camera instead of solely coming up with yet more effete SE collectors' items touted by showbiz "personalities" with more money than sense. In theory. Not so sure about the flash so close to the lens. Style over function? And the single focal length lens is still limiting. And that pricetag. It's way OTT.

• Like 1

Very expensive …BUT … how much would an underwater housing capable of being used at a depth of 50 ft cost? And there's probably some wiggle room to venture a bit further.  For a Leica product of this type I would not pay £2400 - but I might consider £1800 if I had a use for such a tool camera. 

dunk

Prices vary wildly. Who's correct? Why the yawning gulf? €3,250 = USD 3,539 at current exchange rates. I also see a mention of £2,400 (€3,127, $US3,405). If it is listed at $2,950 in the States, as cited, European and UK buyers would be better off flying over the pond and picking one up there! 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/255850-leica-x-u-outdoor-and-underwater-camera/?p=2973024   … Now have second thoughts after reading this :

Wetzlar, 20 January 2016. Leica Camera AG expands its range of cameras with the first ruggedised model conceived especially for outdoor use – the Leica X-U. With a fast Leica Summilux 23 mm f/1.7 ASPH. lens (equivalent to 35 millimetres in 35-mm format) with an underwater protection filter and large APS-C format CMOS sensor, the latest, fully-waterproofed member of the Leica X family guarantees pictures with exceptional brightness and clarity under even the harshest conditions. It even enables breathtaking underwater moments to be captured in perfect detail at depths of up to 15 metres. Extreme ruggedness and easy handling make the shock-resistant, winterised, dust-sealed, and shatter proof Leica X-U the ideal companion for every outdoor tour or expedition – for action and underwater adventures, for travel, architecture and landscape photography or videos in full HD quality.

Optimum picture quality with the Leica X-U is guaranteed by the familiar, cutting-edge technology of the cameras of the Leica X family. In combination with the professional APS-C format CMOS sensor with over 16.5 megapixels (effective 16.2 MP), its Leica Summilux 23 mm f/1.7 ASPH. premium lens ensures natural colour reproduction and maximum detail resolution, even at its closest focusing distance of 20 centimetres. Its fast maximum aperture of f/1.7 also offers the freedom to explore the particularly fascinating creative possibilities of selective focusing. Thanks to its reliable resistance to stray light and flare, the Leica X-U is also the first choice for all indoor and outdoor lighting conditions – at any time of day or night and in any situation.

The stylish and minimized design of the Leica X-U – made in Germany – is the work of Audi Design. The camera is not only an absolute eye-catcher, it also ensures concentration only on things that really count: easy and intuitive handling and ultimate precision. With a top plate made from premium aluminium and high-grip TPE armouring, the body guarantees not only an exceptional haptic experience and impressive durability, but also water resistance to a depth of up to 15 metres. With control dials in anodised aluminium and an integrated flash above the lens, the Leica X-U is a perfect example of exceptional quality and attention to details. Its non-slip body, an especially hardened protective cover for the monitor screen, and a failsafe double locking system for the battery compartment and memory card slot ensure that photographers can concentrate fully on their subject with no worries at all.

The minimized and intuitive handling concept of the Leica X-U provides the most important tools for the essence of creative freedom – intensely focused and without superfluous extras. Thanks to its easy-to-use, Leica-typical dial controls, aperture and shutter speed can be set individually in seconds for every picture. The practical underwater snapshot button makes it ready for capturing the wonders of the underwater world at the press of a button – without having to search through a menu. Thanks to a wide range of practical automatic functions and a high-resolution, 3-inch monitor screen, it takes only seconds to find precisely the settings needed to avoid missing the decisive moment.

As a single photo is sometimes not enough to capture the dynamic character of a scene in the most moving moments of life, the full HD video function of the Leica X-U makes it easy to capture moving pictures in cinema quality and preserve the moving moments of journeys and adventures for eternity. The camera records video in a choice of 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 pixel resolution at 30 full frames per second in MP4 video format. No matter whether recordings are intended for professional movie productions or as home movies to share with friends, the Leica X-U always delivers high-quality results that perfectly capture the mood.

The Leica X-U (Typ 113) is on sale now.

My conclusion is that it's pure journalese … e.g. 'enables breathtaking underwater moments to be captured in perfect detail at depths of up to 15m " … whoever wrote this needs to back up the statement with some images . And the fact that Audi designed it …  I wonder if Audi consulted any underwater photographers? I  have not forgotten what a loada rubbish their Leica T SNAP /FLAP case is … I was glad to be rid of mine! I'll ask a diver friend his opinion - especially his opinion of the flash. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1