APO 50mm on film

maine207

Thank you, there were lots of promises and no one delivered.

I'll take my Otus out for a run tomorrow. My daughter has stolen my M6, so I don't have a film camera I can put my APO 50 on at the moment, but I should be able to find some earlier shots.

• Like 1

I'll take my Otus out for a run tomorrow. My daughter has stolen my M6, so I don't have a film camera I can put my APO 50 on at the moment, but I should be able to find some earlier shots.

Actually, I have some Otus film shots at hand (All on EOS-1V HS). Not particularly good photo's, but they are with that lens...

Ektar 100:

33541646143_f5e9968982_b.jpgB047 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

34352300535_fa1804af0c_b.jpgB035 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

34311261186_f5e16c6937_b.jpgB023 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

...and SliverMax 100:

34579695235_ca5ffe9349_b.jpgA003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

33763623613_ca1225a883_b.jpgA001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

34437955602_e84f5a12f3_b.jpgA005 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Next I'll have to dredge up some older APO 50 shots from when I was 'allowed' to use my camera.

• Like 4

Actually, I have some Otus film shots at hand (All on EOS-1V HS). Not particularly good photo's, but they are with that lens...

Ektar 100:

Next I'll have to dredge up some older APO 50 shots from when I was 'allowed' to use my camera.

Thank you for those, not bad for not particularly good  :D

I know the feeing my D3 is on "loan" to son No1 I'm hoping the film bug doesn't bite soon  :rolleyes:

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The APO 50 isn't just about resolution. The smoother bokeh and contrast fall off are both very visible on film.

And your links to shots that show this are?

Not doubting your judgement and acknowledge that web viewing is far from ideal but I would like to see examples on film, in particular a comparison with the non APO 50  ;)

And your links to shots that show this are?

Not doubting your judgement and acknowledge that web viewing is far from ideal but I would like to see examples on film, in particular a comparison with the non APO 50  ;)

I only compared the non APO with the APO on digital but I have since seen the same rendering on film with the APO as in below. The fall off on the second table is noticeable and the bokeh isn't nervous/busy like i have seen elsewhere.

35917651442_aae9a1442f_b.jpg

So, sorry no direct comparison.

Example of the standard cron's busier bokeh on film here http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/trixjohnbestbuy.jpg

Edited by PaulJohn
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Thanks for this thread I have the exact same question in mind, "Would the higher resolution of the 50AA be noticeable on film, or would it only really show up on the flatter surface of the higher (than film) resolution of a 24Mpixel digital sensor M240, M10?"

I used to have my slide film (Provia 100) mounted but one time I thought I noticed curvature in the field from a 35mmF2 Asph shot but it was down to the curvature of the Provia in the slide mount and the focus point of the scanner. Since then I get the film back as strips of 6 so they are flatter in the scanner film holder. If ever I do a big travel trip again and need the best amounted slides I would select and mount in glass slides or just scan them to digital files as do mostly. Moving from mounted slides to flat film strips has noticeably improved the scanned result sharpness.

I don't have a digital Leica but I do have a SONY A7 and I notice the improved sharpness of my 35F2Asph and 50F2 on that camera when compared to film Provia100F or TMAX400 or100, but I still really prefer the rendition of film. I try but I can't get the A7 RAW to look/feel like Provia.

Film acts as a low pass filter (for resolution) and also isn't as flat as the digital sensor so it can't record as high a resolution as the same lens on the 24Mpixel sensor. From Kodak and Fuji data sheets TMAX100 has 100 lp/mm (200x36x200x24=34.5Mpixel equivalent) Provia has at best 60 lp/mm (120x36x120x24=12.4Mpixel equivalent). The MTF highest resolution plotted on Leica lens specs is 40 lp/mm (80x36x80x24=5.5Mpixel) so if we see differences in the 40 lp/mm MTF we should see some differences on film. But my feeling is the non-flat film in the camera and the non-flat film in the scanner holder  before you get a digital file reduces resolution.

Other lens characteristics like bokeh should be visible on film, and digital of course.

I tested a 35F1.4Asph on an M240 accidentally only saving the JPEG version (which corrects for lens distortion, vignetting etc) and it seemed the lens was sharp with great DoF at any aperture.

My feeling is that once the digital sensor is >12Mpixel we have better resolution and sharpness than film no matter what the resolution of the lens in front.

This makes it difficult to justify buying the 3x££ 50AA over the 50F2 even if the heart longs for it. There is much more to a good photograph than just resolution of the lens used.

Maybe if you only shoot at F2 and the 3d separation of the subject from the background with no distracting bokeh is your key aim then the 50AA is the one that makes sense. If like me F4 - F8 is where you use the 50F2 mostly then it probably doesn't make sense or you won't notice. I think I've just talked myself out of getting the 50AA and a Digital M :(

Conclusion for myself= go and shoot more film and concentrate on composition and light rather than pixel peaking.

I have some comparison shots taken on the same day in London in August 2012 (overcast day)

50F2 outside Aperture London and then 50AA demo outside Leica Store Mayfair.

50F2 first.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

100% crop of top right.

Now for the 50mm Apo-Asph

50AA 100% crop top right again. For both shots on this very dull overcast day (no shadows) I only applied an S -Curve, I didn't enhance the definition or add sharpening in Apple Aperture3.6 so it's just the result of scanning at 5400dpi (~7500x5000 ~35Mpixels) on my Minolta Elite 5400.

• Like 1

Forgot to say the film was TMAX-100. When I took the first shot with 50F2 outside Aperture, London I didn't know I'd be at Leica later testing the 50AA otherwise I might have chosen a range of apertures. The 50F2 was probably taken at F5.6 while the 50AA was probably taken at F4 of perhaps wider. Bit nervous with a £6000 lens on my M7 even for 5 minutes.

For these in-focus street scenes I can't see any noticeable differences.

I have some other shots where the Leica Sales guy posed as a model and there was a nice separation of the buildings in the background but I don't wish to show them and the link earlier to Steve Huff's site  illustrated the 50AA smooth bokeh well. Also I don't have portraits using the 50F2 in similar conditions.

On the same day I also tested the 35mmF1.4AsphFLE which I have been lusting after for years but as most of my shots are landscapes the 35F2Asph should be just as good when used at F4-F8 but with less distortion. I can't correct for distortion on M7, MP using Apple Aperture on scanned slides, negs anyway so paying 2x for the summilux FLE will just give me something I can't correct for until I move to Lightroom or a Digital M.

I should just be happy with what I have and shoot more film, but new gear is always a tempting part of the hobby.