Is there a Secret to Unlock the Magic of the X1?

leicadude

• 2 weeks later...

I have the grip which is very useful, I also have the VF but since there is no information about focus than a green light, there is no way to know you are focusing correctly so I decided to use it as is. As with all my cameras I only shoot raw and process the files in Lightroom, with jpgs I never get the look I love in BW pics. It is a very nice little camera indeed :)

I'm not sure what you don't understand about my answer?

RUDEDOG's original question was about unlocking the secrets of the X1 and taking better pictures

Basically learning how and why the camera works...a little basic photography technique

exposure..... ISO..... focus......metering.....how shutter speed matters...whats the light doing....being aware of your cameras settings

Isn't that the proper answer to "how do I take better photographs?"

Accessories like OVF, EVF  or Thumbs Up don't effect how the camera "sees" the shot....or improve the pictures

come on this is a respectful forum....no need to use insults...is there?

Agree. The real magic resides in what is in front of the lens. I can take a crappy pic with or without the vf attached :)

Agree. The real magic resides in what is in front of the lens. I can take a crappy pic with or without the vf attached :)

Respectfully I must disagree:-  the photographer "sees" and uses the tool in his/her hands, knowing your lens and relevant/subsequent settings ices the cake.. If using a grip and or an EV helps, so be it.. Just adding bling" does not make any photographer Better. The title 'photographer' needs to be earned.. Just holding and pointing a camera does not a photographer make.. B) Be Cool, Be Happy, Be Successful..

I have the grip which is very useful, I also have the VF but since there is no information about focus than a green light, there is no way to know you are focusing correctly so I decided to use it as is. As with all my cameras I only shoot raw and process the files in Lightroom, with jpgs I never get the look I love in BW pics. It is a very nice little camera indeed :)

It's important to take into consideration the focus mode being used. The best AF in the world cannot read the mind of the photographer. I have found spot focus to be dependable and accurate if used correctly.

The magic of the photograph is in the person behind the camera, not the object in front of the lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Respectfully I must disagree:-  the photographer "sees" and uses the tool in his/her hands, knowing your lens and relevant/subsequent settings ices the cake.. If using a grip and or an EV helps, so be it.. Just adding bling" does not make any photographer Better. The title 'photographer' needs to be earned.. Just holding and pointing a camera does not a photographer make.. B) Be Cool, Be Happy, Be Successful..

OK OK  it's the all about the photographer. That is the original intent of my comment......but I suspect you knew that, before you corrected me......Thanks for keeping me straight.

​We do agree that accessories like the grip and EV's don't make better images 

The secret to unlocking the magic of  the X's potential is a sound knowledge of photography....a little basic knowledge of Photoshop adjustments wouldn't hurt either.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I remember hearing that switching the stabiliser OFF improved sharpness generally although I cant see why.

Never really tested that theory but I'm in the OVF was a "waste of money" camp. . I think that I've used mine fewer than 6 times.

The handgrip is nice but the clean body is still delighfully pocketable.

• Like 1

I remember hearing that switching the stabiliser OFF improved sharpness generally although I cant see why.

Never really tested that theory but I'm in the OVF was a "waste of money" camp. . I think that I've used mine fewer than 6 times.

Turning Off the Stabilizer is advisable when using the camera on a Tripod.. I don't use a tripod and on the odd occasions I stand the camera on a box/wall or something solid I usually forget to turn off the Stabilizer..  

• 3 weeks later...

Note that the image stabilizer only works for JPEG, not for DNG. Also the stabilizer is of the digital version, it takes two pictures and combines them, not really good, in my opinion.

Since I always shoot DNG, the stabilizer is always off.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say, use the pretty looks of the X1.

Because it's a 'slow' camera I make use of the friendly looks of the camera to ease my subjects (humans). Often they ask it the camera used to be of my grandfather's. Than in the nice conversation secretly I take my time to get the light and focus.

Snap!

It takes some practice and social skills but it works!

• Like 4

I don't have an X1 but am a new X Vario user. The camera I bought had the Leica EVF with it. I am coming from a DSLR and wear reading glasses, so while the EVF2 is a pain to keep adding and removing, it is a great focusing aid. I am not sure I could use the camera well without it. 

Here is a shot from yesterday with the EVF2 and X Vario. 

fruitlands-harvard.jpg

• Like 3

My add on VF live as follows:- OVF/X1 & EVF/XVario  ..    e n j o y   ;) 

Edited by Manoleica
  • Like 2

It's important to take into consideration the focus mode being used. The best AF in the world cannot read the mind of the photographer. I have found spot focus to be dependable and accurate if used correctly.

The magic of the photograph is in the person behind the camera, not the object in front of the lens.

Nice photo! What's that large object the photographer is holding in front of his face?  :lol:

Citroėn -- DS -- X1 (obviously cropped, a little sharpening, OOC jpeg)   ;) 

• Like 2