Is there a Secret to Unlock the Magic of the X1?

leicadude

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for the reply. I don't have the viewfinder. Maybe that would be a good investment. I like capturing moments and people. Looking back I found that my best shot have little movement and plenty of light. The lower lighting tends to yield more out of focus shots even with shutter speeds that should be adequate. 

i tried the ovf i found it a waste  ymmv

The world is full of different ideas - I respect yours...

FWIW - I found the OVF a boon & transforms the camera..

just as i respect yours.

ovf or not.... the x1 is an amazing camera......(i would not have sold mine but for the fact i purchased the Q and when cropped to 35mm the Q produces almost the same size image as the x1 and that made the x1 redundant to me)..

Edited by prk60091

Hi Folks. This may be a crazy question but is there a secret to make the X1 produce more "keepers"? I've owned a DLux-5 and an X1 for about 5 years and consistently find that my DLux-5 shots produce more keepers for in-focus and capturing the moment at the right time. The X1 is out of focus more often and not catching the moment I intended. That said, the X1 has produced some absolutely stunning shots at times which makes me want to hang on to it and learn how to use it more effectively!

Any tips or tricks? I really want this camera to work because I love the experience of using it. It's a beautiful camera.

Thanks,

Rudy

i also used the thumbs up for the x1 which for me transformed the usage of the camera.  

• Like 1

I don't mean to be argumentative, but neither the Thumbs Up nor an external viewfinder is a solution to making better photographs ....

You need to learn how and why the camera does what it does to get it make better photographs.

The X1 is a wonderful camera with a little practice and knowledge of photography it will make amazing image in many situations.

• Like 1

I don't mean to be argumentative, but neither the Thumbs Up nor an external viewfinder is a solution to making better photographs ....

You need to learn how and why the camera does what it does to get it make better photographs.

The X1 is a wonderful camera with a little practice and knowledge of photography it will make amazing image in many situations.

And when you come down from your pedestal, please explain why your comments have any serious grounding"" - 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And when you come down from your pedestal, please explain why your comments have any serious grounding"" - 

I'm not sure what you don't understand about my answer?

RUDEDOG's original question was about unlocking the secrets of the X1 and taking better pictures

Basically learning how and why the camera works...a little basic photography technique

exposure..... ISO..... focus......metering.....how shutter speed matters...whats the light doing....being aware of your cameras settings

Isn't that the proper answer to "how do I take better photographs?"

Accessories like OVFEVF  or Thumbs Up don't effect how the camera "sees" the shot....or improve the pictures

come on this is a respectful forum....no need to use insults...is there?

• Like 2

Learning the photographic controls is one thing and handling of the camera is another.

ECohen's points are well taken as are Manoleica's.

The viewfinder on the X1/X2 is particularly imperative in outdoor settings for framing the shot. The Thumbs Up gives some additional stability to the handling, so perhaps less camera movement or shake, thereby producing potentially better images.

• Like 1

For me an OVF improves the framing in bright sunlight and can IMO improve the IQ if used in low light situations. The latter because you can reduce movement of camera. However; I only mostly use OVF in bright sunlight when the screen is next to possible to see.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you don't understand about my answer?

RUDEDOG's original question was about unlocking the secrets of the X1 and taking better pictures

Basically learning how and why the camera works...a little basic photography technique

exposure..... ISO..... focus......metering.....how shutter speed matters...whats the light doing....being aware of your cameras settings

Isn't that the proper answer to "how do I take better photographs?"

Accessories like OVF, EVF  or Thumbs Up don't effect how the camera "sees" the shot....or improve the pictures

come on this is a respectful forum....no need to use insults...is there?

The use of either or both (Thumbs Up/OVF) DOES improve handling, there leading to better images.. The other technical details (S/Fstop/Lighting etc..) do I agree make a complete package.

Your Post  IMHO did come over as "from the pulpit"... L

• Like 1

The use of either or both (Thumbs Up/OVF) DOES improve handling, there leading to better images.. The other technical details (S/Fstop/Lighting etc..) do I agree make a complete package.

Your Post  IMHO did come over as "from the pulpit"... L

Sorry I didn't mean to preach....really

But I honestly don't think the accessories are the answer to getting great pictures out of the X especially as compared to this threads authors question, comparing it to his DLux  

The X weighs only 10 oz and is nicely balanced and the viewfinder has lots of important information to tell you where its focusing and if the shutter speed is slow... you better take care ...or change something.and more 

Using the OVF is a hindrance without  the technical knowledge  of how to set the camera....You know you use the OVF.....there is a lot to consider you cant just pop it on and set the camera to Auto everything

I guess  I am being preachy .....S/Fstop/Lighting/proper shooting technique etc.. are everything. Those accessories make shooting incrementally easier 

I would go so far as to say that slowing down and thinking has more effect on the final image than the Thumbs Up on and X

......I tried so hard not to preach...please forgive me. Just my two cents ...I'll happily agree to disagree 

I destroyed the pocketability of my X2 by attaching an EVF, a hand grip, and a lens tube and hood. However, this increased the mass and thus the inertia of the unit, which makes it easier to hold steady when shooting. They also make it easier and more fun to use, which is much more important to me than compactness. (I happen to prefer the crisp IQ of the X1 and X2 to that of the Vario or Type 113, which, of course, is a matter of taste.)

I used manual film cameras for over 40 years. I took mostly crap pictures until I learned (for example) how aperture affects depth of field, and how film speed, shutter speed, and aperture interrelate with respect to exposure. Now, of course, such considerations have become second nature, so I am not preoccupied with them. To a great extent, automation has made the technical aspects of photography much easier to implement, but it has not totally eliminated the need to consider (perhaps unconsciously) the various parameters involved. Even the most sophisticated camera cannot read the mind of the photographer and the sort of effect s/he wants from a particular shot.

Manoleica is an excellent photographer, and I suspect that to him the technical aspects of picture taking may be essentially instinctive and unconscious.

Edited by Trivette
  • Like 3

To Trivette,

Manoleica is an excellent photographer, and I suspect that to him the technical aspects of picture taking may be essentially instinctive and unconscious.

Sir, I thank you for your kind words...  I found that putting the OVF on the X1 enabled an overall more balanced camera, framing was so much easier & I no longer needed the arms outstretched

pose... Parallax was quite easy, using a mark on my garage wall and practicing, nothing is ever perfect, but a gentle crop helps at the end of the day..  ;) Take Care..L

To Trivette,

Sir, I thank you for your kind words...  I found that putting the OVF on the X1 enabled an overall more balanced camera, framing was so much easier & I no longer needed the arms outstretched

pose... Parallax was quite easy, using a mark on my garage wall and practicing, nothing is ever perfect, but a gentle crop helps at the end of the day..  ;) Take Care..L

I used a Voigtlander OVF at first, but later I got a cheap, used Olympus EVF from KEH, which works perfectly on the X2. However, even so, I sometimes crop, often more than gently.

Take care,

Richard

Edited by Trivette

Hi Folks. This may be a crazy question but is there a secret to make the X1 produce more "keepers"? I've owned a DLux-5 and an X1 for about 5 years and consistently find that my DLux-5 shots produce more keepers for in-focus and capturing the moment at the right time. The X1 is out of focus more often and not catching the moment I intended. That said, the X1 has produced some absolutely stunning shots at times which makes me want to hang on to it and learn how to use it more effectively!

Any tips or tricks? I really want this camera to work because I love the experience of using it. It's a beautiful camera.

Thanks,

Rudy

So I've been shooting the X2 exclusively for  the past couple days and thinking about your question.  "What gets more keepers"?

How about anticipate the action? . The X is a little slow to wake up and to focus So try preparing ahead to capture the desired action/photo.

The X is not the kind of camera that you camera you can point and shoot without thinking  it just isn't fast.

With a little planning  and preparation  you'll got more keepers with amazing IQ....it is a great little camera

Hope this helps
  • Like 3

Well it's out of it's box, Strap fitted, 2 batteries charged and 2SD Cards formatted and ready.. Gosh it's light as opposed to the Safari Set..  I suppose "cute" is a good way to describe the X1..

B)

You will be surprised how long one battery will last.

I'd wish Leica made the X  more like a mini M 
I prefer carrying the X to the M  Who can argue with 10oz?

Enjoy ....keep us posted and as always send pictures.

For what its worth I think the EVF ruins the X experience it takes an already slow camera and puts it to a snakes pace