KallumR

M8 catastrophic failure repair cost

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

Just curious on the cost of repairing my Leica M8. 

Problems are; total failure of shutter, very dirty sensor, 12 dead/hot pixels and potential sensor corrosion. 

I live in Australia so I will have to send it to Camera Clinic in Melbourne (unless you could all recommend anywhere else). I was wondering how much do you think it would cost all up as the Leica page doesn't supply that kind of information.

Thanks   

Hi, 

Problems are; total failure of shutter, very dirty sensor, 12 dead/hot pixels and potential sensor corrosion. 

I live in Australia so I will have to send it to Camera Clinic in Melbourne (unless you could all recommend anywhere else). I was wondering how much do you think it would cost all up as the Leica page doesn't supply that kind of information.

Thanks   

Sorry to read of your problems Kallum.  It really is quite impossible to say...even in the ballpark.  How many actuations has it had, approx.?

If you'd do us all a favour and let us know when you get a quote from Camera Clinic, we'd be most appreciative. The Aus$ is very weak so any info you can give us would be helpful.

I really suspect finding a "pre-loved" M8 will be your best bet...and keep the old one for parts, particularly the LCD screen.

Good luck, Dave S

I don't think anyone else has reported sensor 'corrosion' on an M8 so let's just assume it needs cleaning/remapping.

The cost of a new shutter will probably be similar to the cost of a s/h M8 but I'd rather have a new shutter (and warranty it will come with).

Hi, 

Thanks   

Well, it is obvious Leica cannot give that information without seeing the camera. The shutter as a part is not very expensive, around 170 Euro, but as the whole camera has to be dismantled, labour costs will be substantial. Remapping and cleaning the sensor should not break the bank. Sensor corrosion is not an issue on an M8. I think the price will be about the same as an used M8, but even if it should be a bit higher, a camera that has been completely overhauled by Leica is preferable to another camera.

I think the price will be about the same as an used M8, but even if it should be a bit higher, a camera that has been completely overhauled by Leica is preferable to another camera.

Completely agree with this.

A camera returned to Leica for this amount of work will get a complete rebuild and test, so it would have a far lower risk than buying an unknown quantity. You will probably get a quote once the camera has been inspected. At that point, you may even be offered a trade in price if the cost is borderline 'uneconomical to repair'.

A full service, CLA and shutter repair, with warranty on the repairs, in the ballpark of a used camera price, would be a great option though... most would take it in a second!

While I'm not in your shoes I have nothing but praise for Camera Clinic in Melbourne.

But, I'd send it directly to Leica to be honest. Or at least ask them first.

Gary

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently sent an M8 to Leica after the shutter failed. Turned out in was a fault with something on the sensor board. Needed a new sensor and shutter repair. They didn't charge for the sensor, just for all the labour (the only part they billed me for was a new hotshoe as the old one had a crack - but only €20 or so). 

Came to €800. Luckily I claimed on insurance.

So, even if you can get the sensor replaced for free you are still looking for a high price for any work. I think as a rule of thumb I estimate any deep surgery to an M as starting at €500. 

Well, just got the ring from Leica today, $4500 Australian dollars to repair my camera, 2x what I paid for initially. I saved for 3 years (I'm only a student) and sacrificed so much to get that camera and kit for it and now its thrown in my face. Look for some nice kit in the classified's over the next week. Safe to say I'm pretty much over Leica.  

Edited by KallumR

Wow, I wonder why Leica didn't offer some kind of trade-in for your M8 considering 4500 Australian dlls can basically give you an M9. I just got and email from Leica NJ and it will be 200 USD for remapping my sensor plus some CLA.

That's indeed horrible. I don't know Camera Clinic, since I've not been in Melbourne for a while, but maybe it is worth to contact official Leica support (http://en.leica-camera.com/Contact?country=17942&category%5B%5D=Photography)? Reading through some posts here and in other forums looks like Leica is offering this trade-in options for less money they charge you for the repair. If Leica Australia is not offering you anything I would try contacting them in Germany, for that amount of money its worth the try.

Keep Fingers crossed.

(btw, my M8 is currently also out to repair, I feel with you)

Saving for three years, and then to confront such a setback would be a significant challenge to anyone. Following my purchase of my M8 (Now going into its fourth month with Leica. For what I thought was a pretty routine CLA and rangefinder adjustment) I stumbled onto the joy of Leica film photography through the very reasonable prices of Leica LSM lenses and some of the  Leica LSM bodies, e.g. IIIC. I have found hand developing B&W film and using film bodies to be a tremendously entertaining and rewarding pursuit.....and really not that expensive. Maybe reconsider your decision to leave Leica, and pursue a less expensive- also less technically complex,i.e. less unreliable- avenue with some film gear. It is a safe investment because the gear will be with you, and work for you, for the rest of your life. Also, it is unlikely that this elegant old Leica gear will ever be cheaper than it is today. Maybe when you are beyond the status of "student" and knocking down a bit more disposable income you can reenter the world of Leica digital.

Now that I have had that Leica rangefinder experience I do not think I could go back. I can envision a day when I entirely abandon digital....but never Leica.

Just a thought.....

I wish you luck in whatever you pursue.

OBTW, I do have one of the Fuji X-pro 1 cameras. While not really a rangefinder, it is a good surrogate for a rangefinder. Despite what may be written about the cameras, I have found it to be reliable, and to produce pleasing results with manual focus Leica lenses. They are also cheap and plentiful.

Taken with IIIa, Ilford Delta 3200, and, I believe 28mm 6.3 Hektor, but possibly 35mm 3.5 Elmar....all LSM gear, at any rate. It is my daughter's pup. We are watching her while daughter is away. You can see how much she misses my daughter. Kind of like you missing your M8. Both of you are young, and despite present disappointment, things will get better.....you are young.

Edited by Wayne

I used to live M cameras until my monochrome went down on me. Cost $1k for shutter repair. Waited 12 weeks. After that, I lost confidence in the M offering and thought it's just not worth my while stuffing around with imperfect focusing mechanism and potential shutter problems. I now own the T. 

I hope you realise that you've picked up a thread that's been dead for 3+ years?

Pete.