Thumbs Up EP-SL Grip for the Leica SL

ashwinrao1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

MatchTechnical and Tim Isaac have given me the privilege of testing a prototype of the Thumbs Up EP-SL grip for the SL camera. I am a huge fan of MatchTechnical's designs, which have adorned each of my Leica cameras since the M8. I believe that the EP-SL is another great design that will add to hand holding stability of the camera, in particular with larger lenses (SL and R lenses). Below are a few pictures. The grip should be available in a few weeks, from what I have been told....

24240047442_7cdcb73f90_b.jpg

24265774981_a6d46773a3_b.jpg

24240047012_b181aec171_b.jpg

24348252795_2e811390b1_b.jpg

23721452313_7c80e49a9b_b.jpg

• Like 3

I have the Thumbs Up for the M9 and M240. They never leave the cameras.

But on the SL, I don't see the point of such a big protuberance.

I often switch between the rubber lever and the back wheel and this will be in the way.

A small bump on the left side of the wheel should be enough.

• Like 1

I've tried several of these devices over the years on various cameras. I guess if, when you were shooting film, you always rested your thumb on the rapid advance lever they must feel comfortable. 

For me, these thumb rests always feel like they're in the way, just like the rapid advance levers always did. 

It looks nicely made and, if it gives you the security in holding the camera that you want, it is a good thing. But, like soft-touch release buttons, I suspect it won't do anything for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just received one.  In combination with the built-in front grip, I find it a little too large for comfort.  Probably I'll sell it but, for the moment, have stuck it in a drawer reasoning that if I occasionally rent one of the SL zooms it might be useful.

I would say that yes, it does interfere with the joystick.

Edited by erudolph