Going full Leica...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been a portrait photographer most of my 5 or so years being into photography, and had always used big DSLRs for photo shoots. They're practical, quick and they get the job done, at the behest of your spine! Recently I swapped from a tried and true Canon 5DIII setup to a Sony a7 with 55mm Zeiss lens for my own portraits, using my Leica M and 35mm for wider shots.

But in the end, I thought, why not get rid of the semi-redundant Sony a7 body that I only use for the odd photo shoot and just grab a 50mm Leica lens and be done with it? I'm quick with accurate rangefinder focusing so that's not actually an issue anymore.

So from now on I'll be doing my portrait shoots with my manual focus M body and 35mm/50mm Summarit lenses, even with all the speedlights and backdrops. Can't wait to produce some new work with this setup.

Leica's got me good!

Has anyone else done this and does proper photo shoots with an M? Curious as to your experiences.

Edited by nickjbedford
  • Like 1

What a curious statement from pico.

There is a time and a place for everything. Portraits with an M using 90mm are stunning. Very good with 50mm. 35mm probably too wide. Lots of recommendations for 75mm.

Maybe before selling your DSLR use it first and then offer to take some free shots with the M. You'll have the billies (billy bunters = punters = customers for US readers) ready and waiting and they can be the judges.

Worth a go?

Yes...weird response from pico.  But I do wonder what type of lighting you will be used with your DSLR that will work with your Leica?  I imagine you have that figured out, though.

Good for you!  Gutsy move that will probably work out well...maybe better than you think!!

• Like 1

Not sure why you think portraits are so difficult with an M. I take them all the time and I can focus quickly (and accurately). I use a radio trigger for one speedlight and optical slaves for the rest in my home studio setup. Besides, it's not my job. I do them for myself. I actually like how manual focusing makes me slow down a little bit.

This is from the Sony a7 / 55mm combo, which is basically the same as an M, just with autofocus. In fact, the M is more comfortable to hold...

20160104_AllisonWilliams_132809_Web.jpg?

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think you should go back to a big DSLR. There it nothing but inconvenience with Leicas for your kind of work.

I realize that you have the M.   Fortunately you have live view.

I am 90% M9P.  I too thought it'd be great fun to return to studio portraiture with it.  I shoot almost all of my studio portraiture now on my X-T1 using live-view.   Studio portraits are probably the one place where parallax really takes its toll with the optical finder. Accurate framing is difficult.  You don't say whether you shoot on a tripod or not, but trying to fine-focus the M9 when it's mounted vertically on a tripod isn't a good time...   it's not so bad if you can return it to 45* and focus quickly, but on a tripod you don't have that luxury.   It's slow and clunky in the portrait studio... oh and never mind that they didn't bother putting a pc sync outlet on the body!   I still shoot with a corded Norman setup, so I end up using a hot shoe/pc socket adapter, which precludes the use of the Visoflex III and the Summicron.  Or you could do what I did and cobble together a bare wire setup that slides into the hot shoe under the Visoflex...  a real nuisance!  The Visoflex III and the Summicron 90 make a beautiful portrait combo on the M9 though... 

I still shoot the M9 in the studio occasionally just to stay in practice. and if it was the only body I owned, I would make it work... but since I don't have to, I don't. 

Edited by hepcat

Why not just use a radio trigger? I've never ever thought about using a PC sync cable.

I realise that for a full time professional's workflow, the Leica M is not the ideal tool, but for general portrait work that I do, I barely see much difference other than spending 1 more second focusing before a firing a few shots. I've gotten very efficient at focusing my M accurately in the year that I've owned. It's barely a problem, especially in a controlled environment like my studio.

I'll be getting the exact same photograph as in my example above with the M over the Sony and the Canon and the only actual difference is auto focus. Everything else is the same. I literally put the trigger in the hot shoe, set my exposure and focus and I get the same exact shot.

I realize that you have the M.   Fortunately you have live view.

I am 90% M9P.  I too thought it'd be great fun to return to studio portraiture with it.  I shoot almost all of my studio portraiture now on my X-T1 using live-view.   Studio portraits are probably the one place where parallax really takes its toll with the optical finder. Accurate framing is difficult.  You don't say whether you shoot on a tripod or not, but trying to fine-focus the M9 when it's mounted vertically on a tripod isn't a good time...   it's not so bad if you can return it to 45* and focus quickly, but on a tripod you don't have that luxury.   It's slow and clunky in the portrait studio... oh and never mind that they didn't bother putting a pc sync outlet on the body!   I still shoot with a corded Norman setup, so I end up using a hot shoe/pc socket adapter, which precludes the use of the Visoflex III and the Summicron.  Or you could do what I did and cobble together a bare wire setup that slides into the hot shoe under the Visoflex...  a real nuisance!  The Visoflex III and the Summicron 90 make a beautiful portrait combo on the M9 though... 

I still shoot the M9 in the studio occasionally just to stay in practice. and if it was the only body I owned, I would make it work... but since I don't have to, I don't. 

Edited by nickjbedford
  • Like 3

I think you should go back to a big DSLR. There it nothing but inconvenience with Leicas for your kind of work.

I agree with the statement, commercial photography is easier with DSLR     auto focus, great fast zooms, macro capability, long lenses and  far,far more bang for your buck when buying equipment.

That said I worked as a commercial photographer in the late 70's 80's and 90s everything was full manual, Polaroids were our tests. So there is no reason why NickJBedford cant work and enjoy shooting with this wonderful camera,in studio and out.

From looking at your website your  work is well suited for this tool....good luck...enjoy.

......but hang on your DSLR for a bit

Well the point of this is to use my M 240. I'm wondering why everyone is so averse to making portraits with an M? I didn't even have any issues with it! I can shoot them just as well than with the Sony or Canon, the only different being I have to focus myself (not even an issue).

I wonder if a Leica SL would not be a better choice with your M lenses.

Well the point of this is to use my M 240. I'm wondering why everyone is so averse to making portraits with an M? I didn't even have any issues with it! I can shoot them just as well than with the Sony or Canon, the only different being I have to focus myself (not even an issue).

The M will be perfect for what you want to do....go for it!

• Like 2

P.S. I should have noted that I'm not a professional in the work sense. I do 99% of my portraits for myself. Otherwise, I'd likely stick with the full sized DSLR gear.

Well I am a professional in the work sense. i have many cameras (20 at last count) and I think the M is excellent for portraits. I can frame pretty accurately but even so shoot a bit loose and crop in post. The M works will with flash triggers (unlike my Sonys, with their proprietary elongated shoe). I also like shooting people with the RF rather than a viewfinder which show a wide open view of the world.

I've posted this one before but this is with an M, 90mm @f4 and a Godox 360 with socked beauty dish.

20001190088_40a54183c1_h.jpgFGP00405.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

Gordon

• Like 8

Great portrait! And good to hear your own experience. I instantly fell in love with rangefinders when I got the X100s and then the M and I've always thought of just shooting my portrait work with it.

Well I am a professional in the work sense. i have many cameras (20 at last count) and I think the M is excellent for portraits. I can frame pretty accurately but even so shoot a bit loose and crop in post. The M works will with flash triggers (unlike my Sonys, with their proprietary elongated shoe). I also like shooting people with the RF rather than a viewfinder which show a wide open view of the world.

I've posted this one before but this is with an M, 90mm @f4 and a Godox 360 with socked beauty dish.

FGP00405.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

Gordon

• Like 1

I went 100% Leica just after Christmas, part-exchanging my Canon DSLR outfit and M9-P for a M240.  My reasons were 1) the weight and bulk of the Canon outfit and 2) I hadn't used the outfit for a whole year, so it was just taking up space and gathering dust.

Lovely portrait BTW Gordon.

Edited by Mark Pope
  • Like 1

I shoot a lot of corporate and event photography and I use two 240's for about 90% of my work. The Canon still gets used if I need AF or a zoom lens.

As for wireless flash I also use the Godox AD360 with their FT16 trigger system and the same trigger system works with the Godox Ving 850. If I have to use the EVF I can still use the flash trigger as I have the MF grip, which has a PC socket. The trigger is mounted onto a flash bracket with a hotshoe and pc cable (eBay about €10).

So yes, use the Leica! It works!!!

Gordon, it is disappointing that your thread should prove so controversial with some members. You are reporting on your choice which works for you. You are not fighting problems; so enjoy your preferred system regardless.

• Like 3