Is That An M240?

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rick, all the transparencies I took from my travels are with my partner from those times (she's the mother of my eldest daughter so we still keep in touch despite being divorced for more than 30 years.) I know she has had a long term project to scan all our photos so I'll see what i can do. Haven't seen most of them for decades myself. 

My next trip looks being 5 days (time limited unfortunately) on the Lycian Way in Turkey next month. It is supposed to be beautiful, so the M system I described above will certainly be carried. I'll report back how I get on....

I have an MSR dragonfly I use in winter mountain environments. They make good stoves. It burnt some really nasty fuels in Bolivia with no problems. Can't beat a pressurized stove when it gets below freezing. Having said that I used the alcohol stove in Sweden last February without problems but that was not a high altitude area.

Safe trails.

Some good stories there. There are a few of us outdoorsy types with M cameras crawling out the woodwork!

I had two close encounters with brown bears in Yosemite, but we just left each other alone and it was all good. No pictures though - kept my eyes on the mama bear all the time and departed expediently.

I briefly owned an MSR tent about 20yrs ago but on the first trip in the Cairngorms water seeped through the groundsheet under pressure of body weight, flowed downhill and could not escape the "bathtub design" (literally in this case) because it was no longer under pressure. Woke up in a paddling pool. To their credit MSR gave a full refund for defective materials with no questions asked and I spent the money on a Macpac Minaret that is still functioning for family use.

After 20yrs very heavy use I recently had to retire my Macpac Glissade rucksack. Thankfully I don't need anything with the same capacity these days, so it will not be replaced even though it served me well.

I'll post some photos tomorrow too.

Can anyone suggest M+lens capacity pouches for rucksacks?

• Like 2

Some good stories there. There are a few of us outdoorsy types with M cameras crawling out the woodwork!

I had two close encounters with brown bears in Yosemite, but we just left each other alone and it was all good. No pictures though - kept my eyes on the mama bear all the time and departed expediently.

I briefly owned an MSR tent about 20yrs ago but on the first trip in the Cairngorms water seeped through the groundsheet under pressure of body weight, flowed downhill and could not escape the "bathtub design" (literally in this case) because it was no longer under pressure. Woke up in a paddling pool. To their credit MSR gave a full refund for defective materials with no questions asked and I spent the money on a Macpac Minaret that is still functioning for family use.

After 20yrs very heavy use I recently had to retire my Macpac Glissade rucksack. Thankfully I don't need anything with the same capacity these days, so it will not be replaced even though it served me well.

I'll post some photos tomorrow too.

Love to read stories. :)

I haven't had tent failure yet but I have seen nasty weather only couple of times. Counting my blessings. I used Siera Design tunnel tent for 19 years and once it held up to high wind and thunderstorm but I was worrying about all the time. Now I mainly use Akto from Hilleberg for solo and Nallo3 for family/friends. I hope that these last me for next 20 years.

My Akto, being used by my son in this pic and Siera Design tent (blue) in the background. Shot by M240.

https://flic.kr/p/wLPhVq

You can't make out how the weather was going to turn out from beautiful calm evening. After three hours we had huge thunderstorm on us with a lightning strike all around us.

https://flic.kr/p/x268HY

The closest lightning hit a tree only 1500ft away (0.5 KM) from our tent. I had never seen a tree hit with lightning before. The tree caught fire and the fire had to be put out by firefights using helicopters the next day.

Pic below using M240+28cron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is interesting to note that GAS doesn't affect too much for hiking gear since you develop a comfort level with what you have. I hope I can develop that kind of comfort level with my M as well.

For lens, I use Zing pouch that has a clip if you want to hang it outside for accessibility. Camera is either hanging outside (I posted earlier with a pic in this thread) or kept inside the backpack in its every ready neoprene pouch (home made). I have stitched the zing pouch in the middle to make two compartment. lens and extra battery go in each compartment. This was I am always carrying extra battery. I also sneak in cable release in battery compartment which comes handy for start trail photography in the night. Table tripod goes separately.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

I have not tried this yet... I just ordered this -- http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-638-272-Messenger-Protective-Electronics/dp/B002E1ALYS -- which I hope to use with my M when stuffing the camera in a daypack or my motorcycle tail pack.   An other choice is the Zing 501 series.  I use that with my Q.

• 4 weeks later...

Used to take my M6ttl on all hikes once but it was drowned in a failed attempt at crossing 5 Mile Creek in the Latham Con. Area  (S.I. N.Z.) some years ago so these days I take a Micro 4/3 camera with a zoom lens (GM5) carried in a Aquapac waist bag. Fits the little GM5 easily plus reading glasses and map. Love threads about hiking and gear, keep 'em coming.

A bit late to this interesting thread; I do both extended multi day hikes and "speed hikes" along the lines that member Exile describes, so I understand the desire for a decent camera, that will be used only opportunistically and must not get in the way of the walking.  My Leica X2, now heading into its 4th year, is still the best I have found for this kind of ultralight quality (though it does not meet the waterproof part of Exile's needs list, at least without a waterproof belt pouch).  Great APS sensor, fine 35mm lens, tiny with a low 300s gram weight, and the somewhat slow focus not usually a problem in the wilds.   One from eastern Oz with the X2; 

• Like 3

I, too, am late to this thread. In 2001, I spent two weeks trekking the Dolomites, from the end of August into early September. I packed my M6TTL, CL, 28 Elmarit, 15Voigtlander, 40Cron, & 90Cron. Since we were staying in towns and our luggage managed, we were free to spend the days with light packs: all the gear fit comfortably in my (really big) fanny pack (a MountainSmith, with Strapettes), along with everything else needed for a day on the trail. I shot Ilford XP2, after a great deal of deliberation, because I didn't want to try to get unprocessed film back through to the US, and decided on b+w since everyone else was shooting color. Which turned out to be a great decision, because if you've never seen Europeans in the mountains, they make Americans on golf courses look like chameleons.

This year, I was going hut to hut, in October, which should have been pouring down rain, so carried only the Sony RX100.3, which proved itself, but... but I couldn't afford to sacrifice the M240, and couldn't fit in all the film I would have shot. So.

Edited by icqcq
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

I am a keen ultralight backpacker and photographer.

My day hiking camera is an M9, 21/2.8 biogon, 40/2 rokkor CLE, 90/2.8 elmarit-M. Tabletop tripod. Polarizing filter and 10 stop ND filter.

I have no complaints whatsoever concerning image quality, but have never taken this combo the backpacking; it weighs as much as my tent, sleeping bag and rucksack combined.

I don't know what you'd cut from that kit.  The 40 weighs almost nothing and I bet you use it a lot.  Good trip!

At 3.37 ish.

Some lovely imagery here:

Incidentally, has anyone been watching Levison Wood Walking the Himalayas on Channel 4? He seems to be using an M240 too, but I can't quite make out the lens

Pete

Great video. Thanks for posting. I did see the M240. Chrome. Most important statement was at the end "stripping away the gear....focus on what's important...which is the story".

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hmm.. its been two years and no updates! I am sure folks are hiking with M240 all the time. :)

I carried my M240+40Sunnicron-C (and 90 Macro Elmar M in the backpack never to be used) during recent day hike in rain, hail and snow. I used the same tethering system I described in page one and my camera was always available in the bad weather. See some nice pictures in

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/282450-hunt-for-snow-in-san-francisco-bay-area/

I also made an Youtube video from the pictures/videos from the same trip linked in the above post. Photos are from M240. Video snippets are using iPhone. Timelapse is using Nex6+180APO3.4+X2APO

The direct link is below. Watch it. You will enjoy the outdoors with nice music. :)

https://youtu.be/MCxxIZAzy8g 

A real good thread! Please keep more post coming! Thanks

robert

PS: I'm now recovering from a broken shoulder and I just went through this thread which allowed me to travel in the nature (and imagine hike I'll never do) sitting in front of my screen. Thanks you all  :)

Well. as of the 20th March 2018, that original video seems to have been taken down, but I like how this thread has developed. Seeing the digital Leicas being used in the wild actually spurred me on to buy an M-P which sat around the house for a few months as my heart is with my MPs. However, the prospect of a month in the Nepal wilderness and the thought of carrying around all that film made me find the M-P and buy a Q and some means of recharging by solar power. It was quite painless, and I'm very keen on both my digital Leicas now; they're both pretty rugged which was my concern. I use the Q strap on the Q, and I have attached a couple of cord loops to the strap loops of the M-P attaching it to the shoulder straps of my sack so taking the weight. The M-P's strap is still attached and goes around my neck for safety. I don't need to remove the cord loops from the sack to use the camera so it is instantly available, but should I need to, the loops are attached to the sack by small carabiners.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 2

I recently walked the High Sierra Trail from Sequoia nat park to the Whitney Portal via Whitney's summit, and into the Owen's Valley, using the M-P and a 35 Summicron IV. The walk was only 7 days and with frugal use one battery was enough although I took a spare battery.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 3