Leica Q and the SF40 Flash pictures

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When i was doing my initial research when considering to purchase this flash i did not find any other pictures than the official product photos that's only from the front. 

I picked it up from my retailer today, and thought i'd post some pictures of the flash from the front and back, and on the Q as well for size comparison. 

I were eyeballing this flash for a while, It is the same as a Nissin i40, just rebranded and with support for Leica TTL, seems to work perfect on the Q and should probably do the job in the scenarios where the Q is with me. 

5D3_1954.jpg

5D3_1955.jpg

5D3_1966.jpg

5D3_1967.jpg

Looks good and certainly beats my SF58 for size!! Does it have a white card that pulls out when you use it a 45º like the SF58

Yep, if you look closely at picture 1 and 3 you can see it has a white card that pulls out on the top of the flash head, and a flip out wide-angle diffusor on the bottom as well :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks pretty good, with some tilt advantages too, which are rare in a tiny flash

I'm considering this or the Fuji X-20 flash, which also has a manual power dial

I know the max sync speed for TTL is 1/500th, but it looks like manual flash can be triggered up to 1/2000th,  at least per the Big Head Taco video's on You Tube.  If this flash isn't set to TTL does the camera allow for 1/2000th or does the hotshoe know its there and auto limit it to 1/500th ?

I just got the flash yesterday and one of my concerns is that the TTL/Manual dial is too loose. When I wear a neck strap and walk, the camera naturally swings from side to side which causes the dial to change settings.

Yep, seems pretty loose, i was surprised as well since the mode dial is firm and nice. 

What is the brand of your strap?

Its a "Tie her up" :) http://www.tieherup.eu/collections/handmade-leather-camera-wrist-straps/products/komboloi-wrist-straps-thu-kw

I know the max sync speed for TTL is 1/500th, but it looks like manual flash can be triggered up to 1/2000th,  at least per the Big Head Taco video's on You Tube.  If this flash isn't set to TTL does the camera allow for 1/2000th or does the hotshoe know its there and auto limit it to 1/500th ?

Just tested it and it syncs fine at 1/2000th :)

Seems quite good, save for the annoying issue of paying $450 for a "Leica" flash instead of about 2/3rds less for it to say Nissin.....

Given I prefer manual flash over TTL, and also want it mainly for daytime fill with the flash sync of the leaf shutter, I wonder if the much cheaper NIssin version would work in manual mode only ?

I'd go for the Fuji X20, which would be fine for daytime fill, but if for the same money I could also have a flash I could do some ceiling bounce with etc, that would add some versatility, and the i40 certainly has an easy to access flash output control dial....

Seems quite good, save for the annoying issue of paying $450 for a "Leica" flash instead of about 2/3rds less for it to say Nissin.....

Can't deny that. i got a nice discount on it for being a loyal customer though, so the difference was tolerable. 

But i also shoot manual flash 95% of the time, TTL is nice rare fast paced indoor situations where ceiling heights, people distance etc change rapidly though. 

I chose to pay a little bit for that, and the rest in vanity tax for the red dot (the i40 is just so ugly branded) :p

• Like 1

When i was doing my initial research when considering to purchase this flash i did not find any other pictures than the official product photos that's only from the front. 

I picked it up from my retailer today, and thought i'd post some pictures of the flash from the front and back, and on the Q as well for size comparison. 

I were eyeballing this flash for a while, It is the same as a Nissin i40, just rebranded and with support for Leica TTL, seems to work perfect on the Q and should probably do the job in the scenarios where the Q is with me. 

I have this same flash in the Nissin i40 version for Fuli X camera. It looks identical to the Leica version in your pictures, except mine says Nissin on the front and i40 on back. Do you know if this is compatible with the Leica Q? 

5D3_1955.jpg

5D3_1966.jpg

5D3_1967.jpg

I have this same flash in the Nissin i40 version for Fuli X camera. It looks identical to the Leica version in your pictures, except mine says Nissin on the front and i40 on back. Do you know if this is compatible with the Leica Q? I can't find any information on this. Thanks!

5D3_1955.jpg

5D3_1966.jpg

5D3_1967.jpg

I'm quite curious about this Neewer manual flash, its just $26, has full manual control, and the head can tilt upwards for bounce...seems a pretty decent size as well

Here is a link on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-NW-610II-Display--camera-Speedlite/dp/B00ZU1MKGG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1452559872&sr=8-7&keywords=neewer+camera+flash

Anyone know anything about this one or see any reason it wouldn't work ?  Wouldn't be out much money if it doesn't work, so I think its worth a try, but figured couldn't hurt to ask (and explore cheaper options before spending $450 lol)

I have this same flash in the Nissin i40 version for Fuli X camera. It looks identical to the Leica version in your pictures, except mine says Nissin on the front and i40 on back. Do you know if this is compatible with the Leica Q? 

It works just fine, just not with TTL on the Q. Manual only.

The i40/SF40 is a simple flash to shoot manual though (i do it 95% of the time), So if you don't need TTL and dont mind the Nissin branding just keep using your i40 :)

Agreed on the dial and part of the unit overall.  Fragile and could break apart without much effort IMO, 

I just got the flash yesterday and one of my concerns is that the TTL/Manual dial is too loose. When I wear a neck strap and walk, the camera naturally swings from side to side which causes the dial to change settings.

It is for sure.  As is the entire unit, seems fragile and not up for much rigorous use.  I think mine is going back.

• Like 1

It works just fine, just not with TTL on the Q. Manual only.

The i40/SF40 is a simple flash to shoot manual though (i do it 95% of the time), So if you don't need TTL and dont mind the Nissin branding just keep using your i40 :)

I too use the Nissin i40 (from my Olympus EM-1) and it works fine on the Leica Q in manual mode. The only thing to watch is it will not lock to the Q's hot shoe. The Q's shoe is smaller than the micro four thirds shoe on the i40 flash. 

• Like 1