M or SL ?

agencal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a trip to Seville in early december with the SL + 24-90 alone I posted a similar view ...... reassuringly almost word for word ......  :D

Even to the "white dot"?

Unfortunately the more I use the SL the less I tend to pick up the M and MM ....... SL+zoom or M and a bag of lenses ? ...... whilst the M plus a lens is compact and light ...... the overall weight of gear carted about is the same ......

I may take a number of lenses on a trip, but I'm unlikely to carry more than 2 with me each day. 

l guess all of us with both M and SL should report back after 6 months on how our balance of usage has changed.

Unfortunately the more I use the SL the less I tend to pick up the M and MM ....... SL+zoom or M and a bag of lenses ? ...... whilst the M plus a lens is compact and light ...... the overall weight of gear carted about is the same ......

This makes a lot of sense for someone who likes to have a wide-ish range of focal lengths available. If however you're the sort of photographer for whom one lens is preferable to a selection, then the equation is obviously very different.

I'm increasingly fond of going away with just one lens, usually a 35 1.4 or a 28, occasionally a 50, and it does wonders for my enjoyment and productivity and imagination. 

Other times , however, when I'm doing a commission, I think the 24-90 would be perfect. So for me it would most likely turn out to be the SL for work and the M for pleasure/creativity. Only time will tell, especially since I don't yet own an SL and will wait for the new M before deciding about changing  or adding to my cameras.

• Like 4

I may take a number of lenses on a trip, but I'm unlikely to carry more than 2 with me each day. 

l guess all of us with both M and SL should report back after 6 months on how our balance of usage has changed.

When I'm traveling, I only rarely carry more than three lenses. 

I already know how my usage has changed. When I'm grabbing a camera to go for a shooting session, by default I grab the SL bag now. It almost always has the body and two lenses in it. Right now, it has a Summicron-R 35 and a Macro-Elmarit-R 60. The precise pair in the bag changes over time on about a weekly basis. 

The rest of the time, I either grab the X or the M-P ... The X if light-small-automatic-minimal is my goal. The M-P if I want to use the Elmar-M 24, Summilux 35v2, or Summitar 75. The other rest of the time I'll carry the Polaroid SX-70, the Hasselblad SWC, or some other entertaining film camera.  B)

I'm increasingly fond of going away with just one lens, usually a 35 1.4 or a 28, occasionally a 50, and it does wonders for my enjoyment and productivity and imagination. 

Yup. Doesn't matter which body I carry, really, it's more about which lens I want to use. It's hard to put down the Summilux 35v2, or the Macro-Elmarit-R 60, or the Super-Elmar-R 15, or the ... You get my meaning, I think.

- Occasionally I felt the need to switch to manual focusing (through railings etc), and I would really appreciate a single button press option to switch from AF to MF and back. Hope this comes in future.

Hi Paul - useful summary. I'm certainly considering taking just the SL & zoom on my next trip. With some trepidation.

For nudge manual focusing, if you hold the shutter release down to the first pressure point, you can fine tune the focus manually. I find this a most useful feature with spot focusing. 

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased the SL body only, and I'm selling my M-P 240 but keeping the 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f2. The many features of the SL for my photography, make the SL perfect for me. Mainly, shooting longer exposures is a must, and the 60sec limit on the M-P is not long enough for me. Also, at this time, auto focus is not a priority to me.

You need to look at the features, advantages and benifits of both cameras and decide what is best for your photography.  

• Like 1

After a trip to Seville in early december with the SL + 24-90 alone I posted a similar view ...... reassuringly almost word for word ......  :D

Off cycling in Sicily soon ...... I suspect I will end up taking the SL and the T as a back-up body ...... or possibly the Q.  Choices, choices ......

I carried the SL and zoom around for a bit. But I'm mostly back to the M as a walk around camera. I found I prefer to work out of a small shoulder satchel than have a camera slung over my shoulder. It's all in my mind of course. I carry the 24mm 2.8, MATE and 90APO and I still think that's less weight than the SL with zoom and more discrete. Occasionally I'll add the WATE and EVF. Plus I just enjoy shooting with the M as a walk around camera/

Gordon