M or SL ?

agencal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M series wide angle lenses are very important to my work and from what I've seen they're at their best when mounted on M series cameras. If I had a whole load of R or even a few S lenses then I'd be interested in the SL, but I haven't and I'm not.

Much depends on the specifications of the next M. If it meets my requirements I'll buy as soon as I can but it would also be dependent on the improved EVF being available off-shelf. If not I'll have to look at all other options.

• Like 2

It is another discussion.Did you noticed that by your self?

I just tried 50mm apo at both cameras and only f2 M240 was a hair sharper bur from 2.8 to 8 sharper one was SL

Yes it was my own test and it did not look like movement blur but more like a sensor thing. I compared M9 - SL and not M240

For 28 to 50mm the M is hard to beat.

For super wide or even 75mm, I find the range finder harder to use.

There is nothing like having the optical viewfinder to see what is happening outside of the frame.

With an EVF/SLR you see exactly what the sensor is seeing, so in some instances it is easier to frame exactly what you want.

The way the M240 captures images with the EVF is not ideal.

If you have noticed the delay compared to using the viewfinder it is because of what it does to get the image.

With the M240 using live view or EVF. You push the shutter release, the camera closes the shutter, then it opens the shutter to start the exposure, then it closes the shutter to finish the exposure, then it opens up the shutter again to start live view.

So basically it opens and closes the shutter twice for each image taken.

With the SL it is almost instantaneous! So for that reason if you use longer lenses or R lenses the SL is best.

I got the SL to replace my Canon kit, but I feel it will also replace the M as well in the short term.

I will most likely revisit the M when the next version after the M240-p is released. (Whenever that maybe)

Didn't you notice that the sl is not as sharp as the m with the same lens?

I did, I tried 50 lux but not by much, also the color I prefer M240 better. I only have SL for a week and 60 frames so far, so hopefully I can adapt my SL right.

• Like 1

With the M240 using live view or EVF. You push the shutter release, the camera closes the shutter, then it opens the shutter to start the exposure, then it closes the shutter to finish the exposure, then it opens up the shutter again to start live view.

So basically it opens and closes the shutter twice for each image taken.

With the SL it is almost instantaneous! So for that reason if you use longer lenses or R lenses the SL is best.

I agree, it is one of the main advantage of the SL over the M.

The M (240 etc) is only as fast as the SL in Classic (center-weighted). And in that mode you cannot use the EVF.

In Spot and Multi-Field modes, the SL is a much better camera for those who like street or reportage.

In Spot mode, using the rubber lever to move the small circle around the frame is so convenient.

I wonder if the future M will offer a lever like that one.

i think it's pretty clear that the SL is the better camera when using live view. So if lenses wider than 28mm are important to you, I would recommend the SL. Also, I find that rangefinder focusing simply isn't accurate enough for my uses at 75mm focal lengths and longer. Even 50mm can be problematic depending on the subject and the distance. So if you shoot a lot of telephoto, Inwould again say the SL is the better camera.

If you shoot mainly in the 28mm to 50mm range and have manual focus lenses, the M is a much better choice. Smaller, faster to use, lighter. Just more elegant all around.

Oh, and I would want to confirm that any given lens choice works well with the SL. Mine seem good, but I am sure there are exceptions out there.

Didn't you notice that the sl is not as sharp as the m with the same lens?

As a owner of the SL, M240 and Monochrome I can tell you this is nonsense. If you seriously want to pixel peep the edges of the images you might find a few lenses that look softer on the edges, but then you will also find a few that are sharper on the SL...but I have better things to do than micro analyze every pixel rather than look at the image as a whole.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 4

I have just bought the 24-90SL to go with the SL body, and took it on a long weekend to Bologna. I deliberately tried it as a single package for travel and street, knowing that normally I would take my M240 and M lenses (probably 28, 50 and 75). I had a Billingham 1.4 bag to carry it around in, but in practice normally carried it around in one hand using a Spider Pro hand strap, hanging at my side. I taped over the logo and white dot, just to avoid catching the eye. I typically used it in AutoWB, AutoISO, AFs, A mode, wide open by default. 

My conclusions were:  

- Carrying it around all day (with breaks for coffee, lunch, wine etc) was not a major problem, although I noticed the weight.

- Leaving the lens cap off caused me no worries, as the lens hood is big enough. Like the Apo-Summicron-M 75, but unlike the Apo-Summicron-M 50, whose hood is a bit small for me.

- I'm a biggish guy, and I didn't feel I stood out particularly with SL in my hand at my side (i.e. I am more noticeable as a person than as a photographer). My wife confirmed this. OTOH, I did not feel particularly discreet swinging the camera to my eye and holding it there, and I suspect I was more noticeable than I would have been with the M, particularly in more confined places, such as cafes and crowds.

- In normal scenarios, the SL was blindingly fast to focus and expose, quicker than the M, even allowing for not changing lenses.
- I found spot focusing was often a pain, because the spot often ended up on a blank surface which did not give a quick focus, and moving the body or spot location was distracting (once you've fixed composition, you don't want to move the camera, and moving the spot often leapfrogged the point you wanted to focus on). Small patch focusing was ideal for most cases, and using the joystick to move it was a "joy".
- Occasionally I felt the need to switch to manual focusing (through railings etc), and I would really appreciate a single button press option to switch from AF to MF and back. Hope this comes in future.
- I used Exposure Compensation a lot; assigning it to the top right button was OK, but in my case the hand strap made reaching the button with my thumb not instant. Future firmware should give one the option to directly assign it to a dial. In fact re-assigning dials for different uses should be enabled.
- In very low light, such as dark streets at night, AF would hunt and occasionally fail (TBH, I didn't think to try Multi-Field AF). 
- I would really like a quick way to reset the focus patch to the centre. Eventually I got into the habit of resetting it after each shot, but a single button press, or possibly auto recentre would be useful.
- Apart from issues mentioned above, I found the ergonomics of the SL exceptionally simple, intuitive and quick compared to a multi-button, multi-option, random layout alternative. (I have the OMD EM5ii, which is supposed to be one of the better ones for ergonomics). 

Would I drop the M in favour of the SL for a similar trip in future? No, the M is smaller, lighter and more discreet, and in principle can take the same shots. The greater speed of AF is only one element in capturing the right shot at the right time, and the slightly easier composition with the M (no zoom to fiddle with and distract) combined with the slightly extended moment before a subject notices you, are real benefits of the M.
The SL worked exceptionally well, though, for such an application as this.
Whichever you have, you don't have to worry!

Edit: I may have a few additions as I think of them.
- The SL lens appears to be flare-proof. The weather was bitterly cold, but without a cloud in the sky I took lots of shots into the sun of Bologna's photogenic arcades and their shadows. I can't recall any ruined by flare.
- I set the camera on "no auto review" and sleep mode, and found a battery lasted most of a day. Wake-up delay was as irritating as on the M240, and about the same: 2 secs.
- The one total failure | had was walking into the tropical house at the botanic gardens from -2C outside. Condensation made it impossible to photograph the orchids!
- When speed of reaction is not an issue, composition on the SL is easier because of its zoom. I found I cropped my images much less than I typically do with the M.
Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 4

After a trip to Seville in early december with the SL + 24-90 alone I posted a similar view ...... reassuringly almost word for word ......  :D

Unfortunately the more I use the SL the less I tend to pick up the M and MM ....... SL+zoom or M and a bag of lenses ? ...... whilst the M plus a lens is compact and light ...... the overall weight of gear carted about is the same ......

Off cycling in Sicily soon ...... I suspect I will end up taking the SL and the T as a back-up body ...... or possibly the Q.  Choices, choices ......

• Like 1