Fixed ISO or Auto (with limits)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious to know what other folks are using?  I am a fan of auto-ISO in general, but always keep it to a max of (6400 I think).  I find that usually works well, but am starting to think I want to manually control ISO to keep it a little lower than the Q is wanting to use.

What are you doing, and why?

Thanks!

Your question is more general than just a Q issue. If you accept that assumption, my experience with other Leica digital cameras is that Auto ISO is a good safe starting point and is featured in my FAST user presets. But when time is critical, I quickly reset ISO to my chosen value for the situation. Often then I am working in manual settings. At session end, I reset to my User Preset.

• Like 1

Curious to know what other folks are using?  I am a fan of auto-ISO in general, but always keep it to a max of (6400 I think).  I find that usually works well, but am starting to think I want to manually control ISO to keep it a little lower than the Q is wanting to use.

What are you doing, and why?

Thanks!

Same as you. I keep the upper limit at 6400, but sometimes set the ISO myself when I think I've got the right conditions to keep it low. The problem is I often forget to set it back to Auto  :o

• Like 1

After 4 months of manual iso setting (my learning curve withe the Q) I have gone to auto ISO (100-6400).  I now shoot aperture preferred (no children running around to stop motion) and allow the camera figure the rest out.  Ymmv.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...