Used SL for sale at Aperture

earleygallery

Yes, two hasty decisions.

The SL is so different in operation from an M that some people may be disappointed to find that it is not an M with an EVF.   Disappointment is a function of expectation.   I am a long time M user and the first day with the SL was somewhat frustrating.   I could not figure out all the buttons, the controls were in the wrong places, etc.  Using an SL for the first time is not intuitive.  After using a Contax and then M's for 15 years, I could pick up any camera of that type and in minutes get to work (ok, 1/2 hour for the digital ones to get set up) but with the SL the process was not intuitive and had to be learned --  it takes some patience to fiddle with the camera and get it set up so you can do what you wish.   After another few days I am now satisified that it can be set up to my liking.   However, anyone thinking that it can substitute for an M is going to be disappointed.  I am guessing that this is what caused the two hasty decisions -- expectations not met and a lack of patience.

• Like 2

Nobody knows the circumstances of why or how the 'used' SL came to the dealer and to assume it is most likely from a 'hasty decision' dissatisfied buyer is pure conjecture. Dealers are offered cameras from various sources. I'm fairly sure my 'bling' Leica T  b/o (from the same dealer) was not 'bought' by anyone previously. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

First looks had me baffled but with perseverance and a good part of last evening working through the manual I enjoyed my trip out with the SL this morning. I feel there is still some to learn and a lot to get used to but I am beginning to feel at home with the camera. I don't think I have ever spent so much time with a user manual - for anything!

Living in an area without any high end camera shops, my decisions are often made based on reviews and specs. I have purchased lens and cameras in the past that don't ultimately meet my needs in the end and wind up getting sold. I try to do my due diligence, but I can understand how this can happen. 

• 4 weeks later...

You don't have to spend long on this forum before you realise there are plenty of people with more money than the sense to read the spec before shelling out.

Unfortunately, I am one of those idiots. I bought the camera and the lens on a whim because I thought Leica was such a special camera maker at such high price it would deliver at every level. While the build quality is the best out there, technologically it is such a garbage of a camera that I have totally wasted my £8k that could have go it me a top of the range Nikon and lens combo. I simply do understand why Leica bodies are so expensive and yet totally lacking technologically. Oh wait, I know the answer.. It is for idiots like me with more money than sense.

Easy come, easy go.  I suppose that you effectively paid the VAT for someone else. 

Of of all the things that distinguish an SL from a D810 or D4s, technology would not be near the top of the list. (If I was after technology, I would buy a Sony.)

Sorry for you. Buy a Japanese camera (and a Japanese Car) I will keep my Leica SL and M's (and my Mercedes) and keep loving my strong and long lasting gear.

Good luck with your new equipment.

Gerjan van Asch

l

The kind of post I hate to see on this forum but all too common I am sad to say. The guy made a mistake and is honest about it. 

• Like 1

Easy come, easy go.  I suppose that you effectively paid the VAT for someone else. 

Of of all the things that distinguish an SL from a D810 or D4s, technology would not be near the top of the list. (If I was after technology, I would buy a Sony.)

Sorry, I think I have misguided all.  I am not the one whose camera has been returned.  I still have the camera.

Sorry for you. Buy a Japanese camera (and a Japanese Car) I will keep my Leica SL and M's (and my Mercedes) and keep loving my strong and long lasting gear.

Good luck with your new equipment.

Gerjan van Asch

l

Good luck to you too, though I am a BMW driver.