109 Sensor dirt?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Eeek, I think I have a grubby sensor on my 109

Or somewhere. I've cleaned the lens and lens cover. There's a very faint mark when looking through the EVF/at the LCD screen but once I activate the shutter, I get quite a mark (have made sure it's not on the lens cover...)

On this pic it's towards the 10 o'clock position - in reality it's at 4 o'clock.

With a cleaned lens, I can only assume I have managed to get dust somewhere else. And with the fixed lens, what do my options look like?

Thank you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's not unknown for fixed zoom lenses to get dust/dirt on the sensor.  The lens external extension can draw dust into the camera that eventually finds it's way onto the sensor.  it is quite rare though so you have been very unlucky.  I would try getting it back to your supplier in the first instance as it will need disassembling for a thorough clean.  I would have thought that your Leica passport warranty should cover you for this.

I think dust is more likely to find its way onto the sensor from inside the camera. As the body isn't weather sealed dust can and does get inside.

I had a C-lux which I finally gave up using due to sensor dust - I decided to take it apart to see if I could clean the sensor myself and I was amazed at how much dust and fluff had accumulated inside the camera! The sensor on these types of cameras are on a board that's part of the lens assembly, screwed to the back of the lens. Again there's no seal so the dust is drawn in by static.

happened to me last November too, 2 grey-ish spots clearly seen on some of my photos that were taken with a light background. Go to the Leica store, I got mine sent to Wetzlar and cleaned within 2 weeks. Though they told me I was kinda lucky because normally it can take up to 1 month or even longer. 

I see you've already received good advice on this...but I'll add my experience for any future users with the same issue.

Anticipating incidental use of a Type 109 for myself as a 'point-n-shoot', I looked to save a few dollars and purchased a one used through a reputable NYC store.

In the first hours of testing I found 3 very large spots like yours that were practically invisible wide open, but became progressively sharper and more distracting at smaller apertures...effectively ruining any image shot at f11 or higher.

I called Leica repair, and they were very pessimistic about the options for repair. Apparently a board needs to be replaced [as mentioned earlier] and they were back-ordered for many months to come.

This, in addition to having no warranty, caused me to reconsider my thrift. The store took the camera back no questions asked, and I ordered a brand-new one from them. It arrived next day, and I'm thrilled with it!

Final thoughts are that I'm encouraged to hear how simple the repair seems to have been for others on this thread. Rather than receiving occasional use, the Type 109 is now my daily carry. I do not intend to baby it, and had some concern about similar dust appearing on my sensor. I now have high hopes that if/when that day arrives I'll find repair options readily available.

Thanks to all.

• 2 weeks later...

20160124-L1050844_zpsjbkqrqap.jpg

20160128-L1060034_zpsjr0wjajw.jpg

I have noticed a mark on my photos for the last few days. Any ideas what it could be? I've cleaned the lens a few times with a Zeiss optic wipe but still not cleaning it off. Could it be on the inside?

Any help much appreciated. Mark is towards top left of photo (looks like a grease mark).

Will this be fixed under warranty?

If you are still under warranty, yes. Staff at the store will do a pre-check first and write a report with the problem, then the camera will be sent for further test. At least that's how it works in my case. Good luck!