Canon Program Pro 1000 17" Printer: Initial Impressions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The problem with putting 3rd party ink in a new Epson printer is the warranty is immediately gone. My P800 came with a warranty extension to 3 years . 

Common misconception....not true according to Jon Cone, who has written about this in the past both on his site and in various forums, e.g.....

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?83603-Epson-3880-for-Piezography-Should-I/page3

http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/state-of-the-state-of-the-arts/

Jeff

Common misconception....not true according to Jon Cone, who has written about this in the past both on his site and in various forums, e.g.....

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?83603-Epson-3880-for-Piezography-Should-I/page3

http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/state-of-the-state-of-the-arts/

Jeff

Thank you for the info Jeff. I was told this by Epson last year when I looked at a pre production model  P800 on demo. It is possible that Epson in the UK have a different policy than Epson USA.

Out of interest I will ask Epson UK and post. 

BrianP

Out of interest I will ask Epson UK and post. 

And when they claim it violates warranty, don't be surprised, as Cone already emphasizes.  They will try to scare you.   Or, if they're knowledgeable about the legalities or practices (which they may or may not be), see if they use the word 'may'.

With regard to the P800 specifically, it really doesn't matter, as Cone won't support you either.  As I wrote above, the best strategy IMO is to use an older model anyway....you'll still get the benefits of Piezo.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 3 months later...

I also own the printer. If I use the print module in Lightroom I want to communicate to the printer the media type, i.e. the kind of third party paper I'm using. The printer driver only allows to choose paper type "photo". Isn't it possible to further specify the paper (for example, Canson Photographique)?

Edited by Bundestrainer

I also own the printer. If I use the print module in Lightroom I want to communicate to the printer the media type, i.e. the kind of third party paper I'm using. The printer driver only allows to choose paper type "photo". Isn't it possible to further specify the paper (for example, Canson Photographique)?

Paper profiles are stored in the Color Management section of the Print module (bottom right panel).  You can also create or buy a custom profile to store there.

I now use ImagePrint, as an external editor from LR, for my printing.  It offers superb profiles for virtually every paper available, under varying lighting conditions for each.  I also find the soft proofing superior to LR.

Jeff

• Like 1

Paper profiles are stored in the Color Management section of the Print module (bottom right panel).  You can also create or buy a custom profile to store there.

I now use ImagePrint, as an external editor from LR, for my printing.  It offers superb profiles for virtually every paper available, under varying lighting conditions for each.  I also find the soft proofing superior to LR.

Jeff

Jeff, thank you so much! Really appreciate your help!

I'm aware that I can download and use ICC profiles for each specific paper in the LR print module as you described it - and I'm always making use of that feature. I'm wondering though if the ICC profile not only tells the printer what color management to apply but also what kind of paper (producer, size, thickness, matte/glossy) is being used. As with my Canon ImagePrograf 1000 I can't choose the kind of paper I'm using in the MacOS printer driver settings, I assume this information (= kind of paper and its properties) is being stored in the ICC profile and being transferred to the printer when starting a print job. Can you please confirm if my assumption is correct?

If it is correct, is there a need to adjust and register the size and kind of paper in the printer settings of the printer LCD display? Does Lightroom override the printer settings of the printer LCD display?

As for ImagePrint, it only works with Epson printers if I'm correct. What alternative can I use for my Canon printer?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you choose the paper profile from LR, if it is custom made for your printer, then you need to be sure that every setting in the print module is identical to the ones you used when making the profile.....for color management and various other print driver settings...there are a number of them.  This can be a pain, and especially annoying when Apple changes some aspect of color management when introducing a new iteration (without telling us...and they have), or if the printer (or paper) manufacturer changes something else.

Of course the world won't fall apart if you miss something, especially assuming you're soft-proofing results, but it can lead to inconsistencies and wasted time tracking down problem source(s) if something is off.  It depends on how particular you are.  I am.

I forgot that, unfortunately, IP is only for Epson.  Shame because it takes over the print driver and, once you select the exact paper profile you want (separately listed by paper name from each manufacturer, adjustable by lighting conditions), it takes care of each and every setting for your exact paper and printer model.  You don't need to touch the printer panel, or anything in LR, for any setting whatsoever.  

I'm not familiar with Canon printers, or for RIPs other than IP (or QTR for Piezo....also on Epson).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

ICC profiles only cover the paper type, not the size or thickness.

I use an Epson printer, Windows 10, and I don't use Imageprint.

In the LR print module you select the ICC profile you wish to use (assuming you have the right ICC profile in the correct folder)

Then click the Page Setup button which takes you to the Epson Print Setup window. Click on Properties and you are where you can tell the printer what paper size, type and thickness you are using, and other stuff. Check that Mode is OFF (no colour adjustment).

Once you have set up the options, you can save these as a Settings profile in the Epson s/w.

Back in LR make all this lot into a new print template (Template Browser panel). This links the ICC profile and the Epson printer settings in one single LR template, along with any other options you have made in the Print Module. Next time you can call everything up with one click on your chosen template.

For example, I have one LR template which is called "A4 PK Platine Fibre Rag 310" and another which is called "Greetings card A5 MK Epson Matte Landscape"

I use custom profiles because I use a third party continuous ink system. The system supplier makes the profiles from a print of a standard test image I send them.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

When you choose the paper profile from LR, if it is custom made for your printer, then you need to be sure that every setting in the print module is identical to the ones you used when making the profile.....for color management and various other print driver settings...there are a number of them.  This can be a pain, and especially annoying when Apple changes some aspect of color management when introducing a new iteration (without telling us...and they have), or if the printer (or paper) manufacturer changes something else.

Of course the world won't fall apart if you miss something, especially assuming you're soft-proofing results, but it can lead to inconsistencies and wasted time tracking down problem source(s) if something is off.  It depends on how particular you are.  I am.

I forgot that, unfortunately, IP is only for Epson.  Shame because it takes over the print driver and, once you select the exact paper profile you want (separately listed by paper name from each manufacturer, adjustable by lighting conditions), it takes care of each and every setting for your exact paper and printer model.  You don't need to touch the printer panel, or anything in LR, for any setting whatsoever.  

I'm not familiar with Canon printers, or for RIPs other than IP (or QTR for Piezo....also on Epson).

Jeff

Jeff, thank you very much again. To be honest, I'm not sure I fully understand the first passage of your answer. Yes, I do use a ICC paper profile for my printer and the respective paper I'm using (I use a Hahnemuhle photo rag ICC profile made by Hahnemuhle for my printer Canon Pro 1000, for instance). Can I expect Lightroom to tell the printer via the ICC profile what kind of paper I'm using and does the ICC profile override the printer's settings on the printer panel?

If so, that would be a decent solution for me although using a RIP software seems to further improve print output. Is there a big difference in print quality between the use of the IP software and the custom profile delivered by the paper manufacturer and tailored to my specific printer?

As LocalHero explains, if you use LR to drive your printer (color management off), then the settings you apply there will be sent to your printer.  A profile from the manufacturer of course is named by the the paper used, but they don't what printer settings you'll be using. You're in control.

I suggest you look into some books or videos on the topic.  I've mentioned in other threads the LuLa (Luminous Landscape) 12+ hour video tutorial on every topic from 'Camera to Print and Screen'.  Jeff Schewe, who is in those videos, also has two excellent books....The Digital Negative and The Digital Print.  There are other books (Scott Kelby, Martin Evening, etc) and free videos (Julieanne Kost) that may also help.

Paper profiles vary in many ways, and two people may get different results using the exact same profiling gear, depending on their usage and skill level......just like two people will get different results using the same camera or lens.  Only you can say how important differences are.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Oops, a mistake in what I posted earlier. There is no thickness setting in the Epson printer setup software, but you do set the paper size and type (e.g. gloss, velvet, matte etc).

As Jeff or someone else says, you must use the same settings in the Epson printer setup as the ICC profile was designed for, including thickness (because thickness may affect ink absorbency). The ICC profile does not tell the printer what these are, it just assumes you have set them. Creating a LR template that combines Epson printer settings and ICC profile ensures these match up.

In my case, I record the printer settings I use to print the test image used to create my custom profile. When I get the ICC profile back, I create a new LR template together with those printer settings.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Oops, a mistake in what I posted earlier. There is no thickness setting in the Epson printer setup software, but you do set the paper size and type (e.g. gloss, velvet, matte etc).

Yes, there is the platen gap, which can be adjusted.  But the OP has a Canon....and I don't know about that.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Thank you for your replies. 

What I don't understand is that the Canon manual tells me that the printer setting look like photo no. 1.

However, my printer settings do look as photo no. 2

Thus, I'm not able to choose a certain paper type which is the reason for me asking these questions.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not sure I understand.  You can change the settings as you wish and save as a preset.

What version of LR are you using?

Jeff

Yes, but my problem is that the only photo types options I can choose from are "Photo" or "Plain paper". There is no possibility to choose "Photo Paper Pro Platinum" for instance although according to the Canon manual this option should be available (see photo 1 above).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What happens when you take it off default settings and/or open up drop down menu for 'media and quality'?

What's the LR version?

Jeff

Taking off the default settings didn't help.

Latest LR version.

I'm frustrated and the Canon support wasn't of any help. 

I get a different looking panel for my Epson.  Have you turned off color management?

Jeff

Jeff, appreciate the time you are investing to help me. Unfortunately, there is no possibility to turn off color management in the print settings as such an option is also missing. I assume the driver is not installed correctly although I was able to print off several images (and they looked great).